Zildjian A custom alternatives

Rhythm666

Guys,

need some help choosing a cymbal. Im not set on a certain brand, I go for sound and what I like.
In my set up I have 2x Zildjian A custom crashes, a 16 and an 18 inch one and I like the clear sound of them.
Im looking into buying a 20 inch crash but would like a sound like the Zildjian A customs cymbals.

Besides the Zildjian A custom what other brand approaches the A custom sound so I can try them out before
I decide to buy one?

Thnx for your help,

Stanford

Without stating the obvious of just getting an A Custom.......there's loads of alternatives which will do the job.

Good old Zildjian As (If you find a good one) and S Series will do the job. I'm not really up on the Sabian lines although they're made by the same family. Not too familiar with Meinl either but they'll have something close.

Have a look at the 20" Paiste Giant Beat.......amazing cymbal! Paiste does clean sounding better and more consistantly than most.

Guys,

need some help choosing a cymbal. Im not set on a certain brand, I go for sound and what I like.
In my set up I have 2x Zildjian A custom crashes, a 16 and an 18 inch one and I like the clear sound of them.
Im looking into buying a 20 inch crash but would like a sound like the Zildjian A customs cymbals.

Besides the Zildjian A custom what other brand approaches the A custom sound so I can try them out before
I decide to buy one?

Thnx for your help,

Stanford
For Sabian AAX is closest to the A custom line bright characteristic and shimmering tones, and profiles as far as lathing and hammering, if any is very minimal and done by machine which is why they are bright and glassy sounding.

Try the AAXplosion 20” crash if you’re willing to venture out it’s loud and with a large bell really gets going on a wash. The large bell is dry. Which is great for light riding.

Definitely check out the Zildjian S line. They sound very close to A Customs and are much more affordable. For something like a crash or splash, I wouldn't bother with the A Custom price tag. I honestly find the A Custom line to have a shrill high pitched overtone that is offensive to my ear, the S line has the positive qualities without said overtone. Some people call it 'glassy'... I still say 'shrill'.

Definitely check out the Zildjian S line. They sound very close to A Customs and are much more affordable. For something like a crash or splash, I wouldn't bother with the A Custom price tag. I honestly find the A Custom line to have a shrill high pitched overtone that is offensive to my ear, the S line has the positive qualities without said overtone. Some people call it 'glassy'... I still say 'shrill'.

I agree. While I like A Customs too, I like S's more, which is why I play them. S's have a surprising mellowness. I don't find them harsh in the least. Up close, they decay with a calming warmth, and they do seem a little more tonally balanced than A Customs to me. When I started playing S's a few years ago, I tried like hell to find something I disliked about them. I failed over and over and have since given up. Now I just approve of them.

You're in NL, so probably Thoman's Zultan offering would be a good bet. Probably Cas or F5 series.

I heard some good things about the Zultans and saw some review sound videos on youtube but i still prefer to hear a cymbal personally and i dont know of any music store in the netherlands that sells zultans. But if one day im in germany i will make a visit to thoman to check things out, its on my bucket list

I think you'll find that to be a surprisingly versatile cymbal. It would make a nice crash for louder applications while serving as a subtle ride for quieter applications.

Good suggestion. My largest crash in an 18" for that very reason. A 20" is just too fierce for some occasions, but you could use it as an alternative ride if desired. The S 20" Thin Crash would be interesting in that role. I'd expect a mellow wash from its bow.

Good suggestion. My largest crash in an 18" for that very reason. A 20" is just too fierce for some occasions, but you could use it as an alternative ride if desired. The S 20" Thin Crash would be interesting in that role. I'd expect a mellow wash from its bow.

It's overall pleasing brightness would help pronounce the stick sound without overpowering the mix. Very 80s jazz sound, when a lot of dudes started using brilliant finish rides.

If you like your A Customs, why look for an alternative? Just get another A Custom.

But if you’re determined, Sabian AAX’s are basically the same.
If you like your A Customs, why look for an alternative? Just get another A Custom.

But if you’re determined, Sabian AAX’s are basically the same.
Morrisman, i like the 18 inch A custom that i have but im not set one just one brand of gear, i buy according to what i like soundwise and what fits my need musically that why i asked for alternatives besides the A custom. Btw i saw a 20 inch A custom crash second hand for 200 dollars and looks good on picture, will pass by the dude who sells it to check it out. I have a 14 inch sabian aax crash and love it too

Back