If you had to choose between your favourite wood and metal snare

I’ve been in the tight money situation and it’s no fun...especially if you have a family. Years ago I had to decide what gear to sell and sold what would net me the most money and kept one, solid workhorse snare. Having a high end drum isn’t much fun when up at night worrying about making ends meet.

Well said. I just lost my full time job permanently due to all of this craziness and had no choice but to take a different job where I will make 60% less. I've been eyeing up a new snare for awhile but between the financial situation and just playing at home for the last few months I can't justify spending money when my current snare works fine.

Well said. I just lost my full time job permanently due to all of this craziness and had no choice but to take a different job where I will make 60% less. I've been eyeing up a new snare for awhile but between the financial situation and just playing at home for the last few months I can't justify spending money when my current snare works fine.

You've perceived the problem in reverse. The problem isn't "which to keep", the problem is "you're broke".

This is where you put both snares on CL and withdraw the second advertisement after the first sells.

Last edited:
I’m in the “keep them both” category because you have your favorite wood shell and your favorite metal shell snare. Having that variety will allow you to explore and use those sounds for specific music projects.

But if forced, I’d keep the Yammy. I’ve been playing a lot of funk lately and the dry pop of wood mixes better with that genre.

^This

I have a wood snare (Pearl Limited Edition Kapur 14x6.5") which i love for that typical wooden pop when you crank it. Nice dry and controlled ring too. Have played a Ludwig 14x5.5 Supralite once on a kit that was in a rehearsal room and can't get that snare out of my head. Like always crancked the batter head too and similar sound, but found it a tad brighter and project more. Ever since been oogling a metal snare (perhaps 14x6.5"), but since i love my main snare still haven't pulled the trigger on one. Maybe get it one day so i can mix it up from time to time.
Think the DW Edge snare drums sounds appealing since they have the best of both worlds, but again the price tag... ;)

I own 6 snares, all Ludwig. 4 metal (Supra, BB, copperphonic, Raw Brass) 2 wood (110th anniversary 10 play maple, classic oak )

If I had to pick just one snare to keep, it’s my Supraphonic.

It literally never sounds bad.

Back