Metal fans, what do you think of Trolls 2?

The movie that just came out this year, not the one from the 80s.

This is the funniest titled thread I've think I've ever seen on here hahah.

I don't know enough about the Trolls movies to understand it haha - is about metal?

Because as I read it - it's just the most random two things haha...like "People that use hair brushes - what do you think about smooth jazz?" hahaha

love it.

This is the funniest titled thread I've think I've ever seen on here hahah.

I don't know enough about the Trolls movies to understand it haha - is about metal?

Because as I read it - it's just the most random two things haha...like "People that use hair brushes - what do you think about smooth jazz?" hahaha

love it.

Trolls 2 is about conflict between different musical genres and subcultures associated with those genres. Hard rock/metal versus pop versus classical, etc..

Trolls 2 is about conflict between different musical genres and subcultures associated with those genres. Hard rock/metal versus pop versus classical, etc..

Ah ok - I assumed there was some kind of context I needed for framework haha.

Did it present metal in a less than great fashion?

Great, now I'm gonna have to watch it. Please tell me it is at least as good as Despicable Me or Ice Age. I have no young kids anymore to blame watching bad animated movies on. It's now my own fault.

Great, now I'm gonna have to watch it. Please tell me it is at least as good as Despicable Me or Ice Age. I have no young kids anymore to blame watching bad animated movies on. It's now my own fault.

I think it’s better than Despicable Me, and about as good as Ice Age. It’s a major departure from the first movie, which is about the power of music and dance to heal depression. I’m interested to hear your impressions of it

It actually presents (in my opinion) a pretty nuanced view of the major genres. Hard rock/metal definitely gets made fun of, but pop gets criticized too.

Well - I have some kiddos that love animated flicks - may be time for a watch!

I think it’s better than Despicable Me, and about as good as Ice Age. It’s a major departure from the first movie, which is about the power of music and dance to heal depression. I’m interested to hear your impressions of it

Should I watch the first one first (<--that just sounds so ignorant), or will it not matter?

Even if I dont agree with their assessments, if it's as good as Ice Age I'll probably enjoy it. I spent a few months with my parents during the recession, and I watched that movie like everyday with my nephew.

Should I watch the first one first (<--that just sounds so ignorant), or will it not matter?

Even if I dont agree with their assessments, if it's as good as Ice Age I'll probably enjoy it. I spent a few months with my parents during the recession, and I watched that movie like everyday with my nephew.

You don’t need to watch the first one, unless you just want to for completeness. The musical opinions are the main thing I find noteworthy, although the movie is pretty good.

I haven't seen the film but would like to. Conflict among genres has never held water with me. All music is related in more ways than it's divided. It's people, not music, who draw strict lines of separation, and they do so for reasons that have nothing to do with music itself. One thing I've always loved about being a drummer is that it's permitted me to collaborate with folks I might not otherwise have had the pleasure of meeting. Music should be the ultimate barrier-breaker.

I haven't seen the film but would like to. Conflict among genres has never held water with me. All music is related in more ways than it's divided. It's people, not music, who draw strict lines of separation, and they do so for reasons that have nothing to do with music itself. One thing I've always loved about being a drummer is that it's permitted me to collaborate with folks I might not otherwise have had the pleasure of meeting. Music should be the ultimate barrier-breaker.

The film did emphasize the unity of all the genres. I wish it would have delved into music history a little more, and pointed out how pop music has drawn from every major genre, and how pop would have nothing to draw from without those other genres. And also pointed out that the other genres are often too strange/harsh/obscure to be mainstream popular, and need the moderating influence of pop to bring in new fans and increase popularity.

The film did emphasize the unity of all the genres. I wish it would have delved into music history a little more, and pointed out how pop music has drawn from every major genre, and how pop would have nothing to draw from without those other genres. And also pointed out that the other genres are often too strange/harsh/obscure to be mainstream popular, and need the moderating influence of pop to bring in new fans and increase popularity.

Sure thing. There's value, too, in genre distinctions. For instance, I like a classic country sound and am not terribly fond of country that conspicuously incorporates hard rock, pop, and rap elements in an effort to appeal to everyone. A camel is a horse created by a committee, and music marketed for mass consumption is often a wreck in my opinion. At the same time, country, hard rock, pop, and rap all have things in common and are worthy of equal respect on many counts. I say celebrate each in its own right rather than pit them against each other or, even worse, attempt to morph them into one so that each loses its identity.

Sure thing. There's value, too, in genre distinctions. For instance, I like a classic country sound and am not terribly fond of country that conspicuously incorporates hard rock, pop, and rap elements in an effort to appeal to everyone. A camel is a horse created by a committee, and music marketed for mass consumption is often a wreck in my opinion. At the same time, country, hard rock, pop, and rap all have things in common and are worthy of equal respect on many counts. I say celebrate each in its own right rather than pit them against each other or, even worse, attempt to morph them into one so that each loses its identity.

I can’t even believe you don’t love country rap! LOL

I like a classic country sound and am not terribly fond of country that conspicuously incorporates hard rock, pop, and rap elements in an effort to appeal to everyone

How do you feel about Time Warp by Brad Paisley? That song I actually like.

How do you feel about Time Warp by Brad Paisley? That song I actually like.

Good stuff, wrought with multiple elements, whether they're intended or not. I hear some Willie Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and vintage ZZ Top all rolled into one. Paisley is a talented guy.

There's only one movie that really connects to (hard) rock and metal enthusiasts.
That's right; Wayne's World.
Party on, Garth... ;)
And the honorable mention goes to 'Spinal Tap'

Back