A cymbal of my ignorance

A riveted cymbal with brushes sounds cool.

I like the bigger cymbals with brushes. The small cymbals seem like they wouldn't open up sufficiently with a brush hitting it. A riveted larger crash might work nicely.
I found my cymbals were more or less unresponsive to wire brushes. Hihats totally so!
Treated myself to these heavy nylon ones:rsz_20200521_155723.jpg

Might also want to take a look at the Sabian AAX El Sabor hand crash line.

The way I read your comments, this is the kind of sound you're looking for. Smaller than the one in the other video at 13in. (12 7/8). It's the other ones little brother. It's just big enough to have a little crashiness along with it's dominant splash sound and feel. I think a 12in would be too small for your needs but it's gotta come down to your ear.

The pic is just because it's some serious eye candy!

Pete

1932Pic.jpg

1932 Zildjian......ogloglogloglogl

homrdrool.jpeg

@Yamaha Rider Not to derail but do you have any videos of this band or of you playing this set up? I'm a fan of brushes especially their application in non-jazz settings.
Hi Ron!
Still at the rehearsal stage I'm afraid (and none of those for many weeks due to viruses beyond our control.
No classic brush technique here - just using them as 'soft sticks' to keep the volume down really - though the 'slap' of brushes does have a nice country feel of its own.
Be happy to share a vid as soon as we record one, thanks for your interest.
Any thoughts on the these nylon brushes very welcome btw. ?

Hi Ron!
Still at the rehearsal stage I'm afraid (and none of those for many weeks due to viruses beyond our control.
No classic brush technique here - just using them as 'soft sticks' to keep the volume down really - though the 'slap' of brushes does have a nice country feel of its own.
Be happy to share a vid as soon as we record one, thanks for your interest.
Any thoughts on the these nylon brushes very welcome btw. ?

Cool! Not much experience with nylon, I've used wood handle fixed metal brushes for years though and I love them. I played in a live loop based indie pop band similar to Andrew Bird (post Bowl Of Fire) where I used brushes, I also played in a Cowpunk/Americana Trash band that would occasionally play acoustic and I would use just a snare and brushes.

The way I read your comments, this is the kind of sound you're looking for. Smaller than the one in the other video at 13in. (12 7/8). It's the other ones little brother. It's just big enough to have a little crashiness along with it's dominant splash sound and feel. I think a 12in would be too small for your needs but it's gotta come down to your ear.

The pic is just because it's some serious eye candy!

Pete

View attachment 92693
That'll do ☺

That'll do ☺

Oh yeah, should also mention the reason I posted the video. The cymbal isn’t actually for sale. I just don’t have any cymbals newer than the 60s currently but I’m hoping someone else will recognize the sound and say, “that sounds like a ______. (If that’s the sound you’re looking for). A 1930s paperthin cymbal like that is quite pricey and there’s no reason to invest in one if you can find the sound you want in a cheaper one.

Pete

I have a 13 in Sabian AA El Sabor salsa splash I use it more of a crash then a splash it's a beautiful little cymbal

That'll be gone by my next payday tho.

So you reckon paper thin will give me the soft sound I need?

Got a thin - but it's dominated by a solid-metal, bell-like ring that doesn't say 'crash' or 'splash' to me at all! But it is a ZXT. ?

I’ll put up a brief video (in two or three hours) of another 14in crash that always seems to be on my live kit (the 660g one). My crashes in diameter and grams lately have been from left to right 14in 500g (first video) / 14in 660g / 16in 825g. The one on eBay should be right between my two 14s. A bit darker than the 660g and just cleaner (and less of a splash) than the 500g.

Pete

That'll be gone by my next payday tho.

So you reckon paper thin will give me the soft sound I need?

Got a thin - but it's dominated by a solid-metal, bell-like ring that doesn't say 'crash' or 'splash' to me at all! But it is a ZXT. ?

yeah, the auction is over pretty soon. But a big part of the reason for me putting up the A Zildjian videos has been to contrast them with the ZXT (sound of me throwing up in my mouth).

yeah, the auction is over pretty soon. But a big part of the reason for me putting up the A Zildjian videos has been to contrast them with the ZXT (sound of me throwing up in my mouth).
Are they every bit as bad as ZBTs and ZHTs?
If so, why don't they simplify and call em all ZSTs? (S for S**t)

Of the three, I've found ZHTs to be somewhat better than the others, generally. Top of the 'pile. ;)

(full disclosure-I still have some ZHTs I use and like, but, recognize their "issues" and have largely moved on.)

Are they every bit as bad as ZBTs and ZHTs?
If so, why don't they simplify and call em all ZSTs? (S for S**t)

Last edited:
Back