Crash, Hat, Sizzle

Yamaha Rider

Platinum Member
I've read lots of posts here about using chains and beads to make ride cymbals sizzle like rivets do - but nothing much on adding them to crash cymbals and hi hats.

I'm interested to know if in these hard times I could inject some interest into my mediocre cymbals. Anyone tried it?

Last edited:
I suspect that we all tried it. If that's the sound that you want then do it.

Not too sure how they would work on hats. The hats pretty much choke each other out, I dont think they would vibrate enough to activate the chain or rivets.

A crash would probably have endless decay. Might be a cool effect if you need a long, drawn out wash to fill a space without being able to continually wash out the cymbal with sticks.

If it enters your mind, i doubt putting a chain or rivets on a splash would do anything. Too small for any sustained vibrations.

If you want to try and see how it works, tape a penny (no idea of UK coinage) to the cymbal. Dont tape it down, just loosely so the penny bounces freely. You can use any small metal object really.

yea, I use them on crashes as well as rides.

hi hats don't need them AFAIK....I just leave the hats half open to get them to sizzle

I guess I was hoping I could accentuate the wash from open hi hats, and add a crisp, gravelly texture to the crash.
Why don't I just try it and see?
Bought my first acoustic kit just before the lockdown - now I can't get to my practice space to play it, and have, literally, never played it. (Stuck with my electronic set for the forseeable)
So I'm basically here to relieve my frustration!
We call our little coins 'pennies' - always wondered why you call cents pennies over there. Do you call dollars 'pounds' when the British aren't looking too? ?

I’ve tried sizzle chains on crashes and they don’t make that cool “bed of sizzle” like they do on a ride. I do frequently use one on a ride.

I guess I was hoping I could accentuate the wash from open hi hats, and add a crisp, gravelly texture to the crash.
Why don't I just try it and see?
Bought my first acoustic kit just before the lockdown - now I can't get to my practice space to play it, and have, literally, never played it. (Stuck with my electronic set for the forseeable)
So I'm basically here to relieve my frustration!
We call our little coins 'pennies' - always wondered why you call cents pennies over there. Do you call dollars 'pounds' when the British aren't looking too? ?

I hear ya...my kit is at school...and I have not been allowed to access it either.

In light of that, my marching chops are getting better since my practice pad and books are all here.

Pro Mark used to make these things that replaces the top felt of the cymbal stand, and they had beads hooked to them that draped down the cymbals. I still use those every once in a while

yea, I use them on crashes as well as rides.

hi hats don't need them AFAIK....I just leave the hats half open to get them to sizzle
Ah, excellent. Thought I might be fooling myself! A single, ball type chain (sink plug) draped from the stand pin to the cymbal edge?

Bought a thin crash to replace my top brass-junk hihat to try and get some sizzle in the wash. But I'm keen to experiment and see what chain can do too. Sounds cheap, harmless fun and I believe it's still legal!

Do you call dollars 'pounds' when the British aren't looking too?

Lol no. I've heard paper money referred to dollars, cash, duckets, cash ducks, cheddar, smokes, bones, legal tender, dead presidents, paper, paper stacks, Benjamins, ones, tens, twentys, fiftys, hundreds, honeys, scratch, and money. Never pounds. I'm sure I've missed some.

Lol no. I've heard paper money referred to dollars, cash, duckets, cash ducks, cheddar, smokes, bones, legal tender, dead presidents, paper, paper stacks, Benjamins, ones, tens, twentys, fiftys, hundreds, honeys, scratch, and money. Never pounds. I'm sure I've missed some.
We actually say 'quid' more than 'pounds' in daily life. And 'p' or 'pence' instead of 'pennies'.
As in - "You can have all my Solar cymbals for 50 quid"
"50 quid? I wouldn't give you 50p mate. Ta ta."

Ah, excellent. Thought I might be fooling myself! A single, ball type chain (sink plug) draped from the stand pin to the cymbal edge?

Bought a thin crash to replace my top brass-junk hihat to try and get some sizzle in the wash. But I'm keen to experiment and see what chain can do too. Sounds cheap, harmless fun and I believe it's still legal!

Pro Mark used that sink drain chain, and it was hooked to a plastic thing that fit over the post. It had a cymbal felt in it, and then you screwed the wing nut over top of it. I ave seen other guys just wrap the chain around the felt

Before I got two Swish cymbals I used the Pro*Mark Rattler on my China cymbals. It's a great way to experiment with the rivet sound without committing to drilling.

I also have a pair of Sabian Sizzle Hats, with 8 rivets in the bottom cymbal. They don't really make a noticable difference closed, but when open they add a great deal more to the half open sizzle sound, which I like a lot.

Before I got two Swish cymbals I used the Pro*Mark Rattler on my China cymbals. It's a great way to experiment with the rivet sound without committing to drilling.

I also have a pair of Sabian Sizzle Hats, with 8 rivets in the bottom cymbal. They don't really make a noticable difference closed, but when open they add a great deal more to the half open sizzle sound, which I like a lot.
Great news, thanks! Especially the sizzling hihat stuff. ??

Well interesting enough I have a 14 in ZBT crash that I added rivets trying to resuscitate-it didn't by the way. Anyways when I got my Pearl POD back I added that for a bottom hat and then added my Zil A 14 in thin crash on top. I was surprised and pleased with the sound-talk about sizzle. It wouldn't work on top cause rivets hanging down can interfere with bottom if catch. But on bottom it's thickness and rivets it worked for a hat bottom really nicely. I loved the sound chinking it with my foot-open/close.

Well interesting enough I have a 14 in ZBT crash that I added rivets trying to resuscitate-it didn't by the way. Anyways when I got my Pearl POD back I added that for a bottom hat and then added my Zil A 14 in thin crash on top. I was surprised and pleased with the sound-talk about sizzle. It wouldn't work on top cause rivets hanging down can interfere with bottom if catch. But on bottom it's thickness and rivets it worked for a hat bottom really nicely. I loved the sound chinking it with my foot-open/close.
Hey, speaking my language! I have just bought a ZXT thin crash that I want to use as a top hat ...

After some curiosity, I recently tried a bead chain on my cymbals, and found, for me, no use on hats, an interesting but slightly obtrusive sizzle on the crashes, and a sound I quite like on the ride. It'll stay there for a while.

Back