Tension Rod Replacement Help

TxGroove

Can someone please appoint me to a 35mm or 3.5cm tension rod? Got a bent one that needs to be replaced. Please leave a link if anyone can find one for sale somewhere. Thanks in advance.20200424_195038(1).jpg

Last edited:
Any drum shop should be able to get those for you. They don’t have to be identical either there are a lot of used ones on reverb.You can probably get a pack of four for a dollar 2 98

Question: Are the threads of all tension rods the same?

Question: Are the threads of all tension rods the same?

No. DW has a finer pitch thread. It's supposedly helps keep the drum in tune better/longer.

Pearl used to use a bigger diameter tension rod for bass drums. My Wood/Fiberglass kit is like this, and the rods won't even attempt to thread into anything else. I dont know when Pearl stopped doing this. It makes getting the right parts annoying.

As for other manufacturers over the years, I dont know. It wouldn't surprise me if some were different. Drums have been around for a while, surely at some point there was no standard.

As for other manufacturers over the years, I dont know. It wouldn't surprise me if some were different.
Back in my bike shop life, there were French threads (left hand to tighten), British threads (finer pitch), American threads (ASE) and Japanese & Taiwanese threads (metric). It forced shops to buy their specific parts. A true PITA.

Back in my bike shop life, there were French threads (left hand to tighten)

Seriously? I've never dealt with those. I've run into a few gas fittings like this, but that's it.

When I worked in the speaker factory, we literally had about 250 (if not more) different types of screw to keep sorted and inventoried. It was a huge pain. What was even worse is: same manufacturer, same part, different model, different screw. Peavey is horrible about this.

Seriously? I've never dealt with those. I've run into a few gas fittings like this, but that's it.
Peugeot. And Motobecane until they began using Taiwan for cheap bikes.

When I worked in the speaker factory, we literally had about 250 (if not more) different types of screw to keep sorted and inventoried. It was a huge pain. What was even worse is: same manufacturer, same part, different model, different screw. Peavey is horrible about this.
Why would an engineer/designer do this? We’re they getting a kickback?

Why would an engineer/designer do this? We’re they getting a kickback?

Excellent question. I wish I knew. The Yamaha stuff was consistent (imagine that). ElectroVoice was consistent amongst series, that's it. Cant use an EVF woofer screw in an EVH, so on and so forth. Peavey was a mess. Special screws, special bits. Ever see an SPH2 screw or bit? Neither has anyone else. Peavey loves them.

Pearl used to use a bigger diameter tension rod for bass drums.
Thread from last year, BUT I just found this out!
My new tom rods got here today...the thread pitch is very slightly larger...they will thread into the kick but not the toms!

Is this a 7/32, vs. 5/32 or something like that?
I was so excited to get these, now I can't use 'em!

Thread from last year, BUT I just found this out!
My new tom rods got here today...the thread pitch is very slightly larger...they will thread into the kick but not the toms!

Is this a 7/32, vs. 5/32 or something like that?
I was so excited to get these, now I can't use 'em!
That sucks. I'm not sure what the size difference is.

Back