I'd like to see really nice bass drum mounting hole covers.

Armor of Light

I know Pearl probably sells a lot of their little decorative plates that make your bass drum a little less ugly if you take off the tom mount. I have not really looked for other companies that offer them for other makers. I made my own out of thick felt office drawer liner..looks OK:
1586958325689.png
1586958358868.png

I've done considerable amount of searching for "plates" for this exact situation. PDP makes the only one I have found.

I sometimes see motorcycle covers/plates that may work. ?‍♂️

Any bass drum I acquire that has tom mounts will be restored to virgin status immediately. I place my only rack tom in a snare stand. Tom mounts have always been to my disliking. In fact, I utterly despise them. I don't like rack systems either. They look ridiculous to me.

I play only Pearl drums and have used their bass masking plates on occasion. They're easy to apply and look relatively professional. Some drummers go with custom plates as well. If you conduct an in-depth search, you may be able to find someone who can craft a plate to your specifications.

I like the arrangement of your setup. It's similar to mine, though I play only one floor tom.

Any bass drum I acquire that has tom mounts will be restored to virgin status immediately. I place my only rack tom in a snare stand. Tom mounts have always been to my disliking. In fact, I utterly despise them. I don't like rack systems either. They look ridiculous to me.

I play only Pearl drums and have used their bass masking plates on occasion. They're easy to apply and look relatively professional. Some drummers go with custom plates as well. If you conduct an in-depth search, you may be able to find someone who can craft a plate to your specifications.

I like the arrangement of your setup. It's similar to mine, though I play only one floor tom.
I'm right there with you!

I've done considerable amount of searching for "plates" for this exact situation. PDP makes the only one I have found.

I sometimes see motorcycle covers/plates that may work. ?‍♂️

They are incredibly easy to make. Get a thin piece of sheet metal, and a thin sheet of rubber. Use the mount as a template for the sheet metal. Trace the base of the mount onto the metal, and use the screw hole locations to drill the holes for the screws. Cut out the plate, drill the holes, cut the rubber to fit between the plate and the shell. Use the mount screws and bottom plate from the mount and put it all back together. Thirty minutes of work and $20 in parts. Done.

They are incredibly easy to make. Get a thin piece of sheet metal, and a thin sheet of rubber. Use the mount as a template for the sheet metal. Trace the base of the mount onto the metal, and use the screw hole locations to drill the holes for the screws. Cut out the plate, drill the holes, cut the rubber to fit between the plate and the shell. Use the mount screws and bottom plate from the mount and put it all back together. Thirty minutes of work and $20 in parts. Done.

Yes. Can do cheap n dirty..but I'm thinking nice tooled leather with an enameled tasteful badge. I may just start making them myself!

Thanks! I loooove that 18" floor tom.

There was a gentleman on here that made and sold custom ones at one time.

Probably this: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/like-a-virgin-yamaha-bass-drum-plate.45718/

DSCN6987.jpg

Yah..that's a nice one! I like my felt so far but I'd love a grain match one. Thanks for digging that out.

Every conversion I've ever seen IRL has just been a plastic tube insert... Easy to pop in, easy to remove. I assumed that almost everyone used these.

il_570xN.1440810422_h798.jpg

Thanks! Home-made from an old IKEA canvas print. My wife never liked her (formerly visible) boobs on display, so now we can enjoy the painting, as well as rock the f*** out!
Looks good.

Frame a small picture of said offending parts and stand that on top of your new kick mini area rug.

You could also find some miniature furniture and set up a small living room on it.

Sure. I've considered that. I do enough work on drums, sometimes you'd just prefer something simpler still.

Here's an eBay option. The seller has different versions for different drums.

Every conversion I've ever seen IRL has just been a plastic tube insert... Easy to pop in, easy to remove. I assumed that almost everyone used these.

il_570xN.1440810422_h798.jpg
Don't these just pop out when you hit the first note of the big show? ?

Back