Most recorded snare drums in modern music

basset52

I often hear it said that the Ludwig LM 402 is "one" of the most recorded snare drums over the past few decades. Out of interest, what are the others?

I often hear it said that the Ludwig LM 402 is "one" of the most recorded snare drums over the past few decades. Out of interest, what are the others?

Ahhh.......sorry man, you said "modern music"....my bad. That kinda leaves out the Slingerland then.

For Ludwig I'd also add the LM400. I'd wager a bet that's been more widely used in recordings than the 402.

Pretty sure the Yamaha Recording Custom would be in the list also, especially in the 1980's.

Radio King and Black Beauty too.

How modern?

With all the options available today I think you'd be hard presed to fins anything that really stood out the last 10 years. Many other reasons, not the least having the technology to record pretty much anything well and ways to make it work.

You might find a trend if you looked at style an status. Maybe.

And I wonder how this claim is substantiated.

on every recording session I go on I bring 3 snares

'64 Ludwig Supraphonic

'65 Rogers Dynasonic (wood shell)

'65 Rogers Powertone (wood shell)

we always run through each snare and pick which is best for the given musical situation ... and 9 times out of 10 the producer or engineer picks the Powertone

the mid 60s Powertone is one of the most underrated snare drums in history but its sound is widely picked over every other snare during a blind test in my experience

in my opinion it is the most versatile snare ever made ... I've used it on everything from jazz quartet records to metal records and it sounds fantatsic

I own 3 mid 60s Powertones and they get more work than any other snare I own ... I actually get calls from studios I've worked in to rent them from me

so my snares are making money for me when I'm not even there ;)

I actually get calls from studios I've worked in to rent them from me

so my snares are making money for me when I'm not even there

Just curious, do you keep insurance on the snares that get rented just in case something happens while they aren't in your hands? I know I would be hesitant to let someone I didn't know play my stuff. Especially something as old and irreplaceable as what you have.

Just curious, do you keep insurance on the snares that get rented just in case something happens while they aren't in your hands? I know I would be hesitant to let someone I didn't know play my stuff. Especially something as old and irreplaceable as what you have.
I probably should but I don't

the only studios I've rented them to are run by guys I've known for years and trust ... and drummers who have borrowed them have mostly been guys I either know well or heard of

you have me thinking now ... but I feel like even if something did happen to one of my drums I'm not sure insurance money would satisfy the loss.

I probably should but I don't

the only studios I've rented them to are run by guys I've known for years and trust ... and drummers who have borrowed them have mostly been guys I either know well or heard of

you have me thinking now ... but I feel like even if something did happen to one of my drums I'm not sure insurance money would satisfy the loss.

You are a brave man! But you're right, money won't replace it. I know it wouldn't for me. My instruments are family too.

I've read accounts of the Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic being a popular snare for recording, but I have absolutely no data to back this up.

on every recording session I go on I bring 3 snares

'64 Ludwig Supraphonic

'65 Rogers Dynasonic (wood shell)

'65 Rogers Powertone (wood shell)

we always run through each snare and pick which is best for the given musical situation ... and 9 times out of 10 the producer or engineer picks the Powertone

the mid 60s Powertone is one of the most underrated snare drums in history but its sound is widely picked over every other snare during a blind test in my experience
... searches for Rogers Powertone info ...

The Noble and Cooley Maple SS in 7” and 3.75” ( piccolo) we’re getting lots of studio time starting in the 80’s and continuing today . As previously stated the Ludwig Supraphonic 400 and 402 in Ludaloy and the Black abesuty are studio mainstays .
The studio flavour of the month seems to be the venerable Ludwig Acrolite , while a bit of a one trick pony it has become very popular with current Producers .
Another popular studio snare is the Tama Bell Brass ( actually bronze ).

Back