Gretsch snare drums

justadrummer

I still have and use some Ludwig, Slingerland, and DW snare drums, but lately I'm really liking Gretsch.

Gretsch snares as of February 2020.JPG

Any detail to give about this nice selection?

Sure, I can do that.

Front row, left to right:

USA Custom Stanton Moore Signature. 4.5" deep solid Birdseye maple, 42 strand wires. 2011

USA Custom Solid maple, (single ply) 6.5" 42 strand wires 2019

USA Custom 6 ply maple/gum, silver glass finish, 5" 42 strand wires 2019

USA Custom 6 ply maple/gum, silver glass finish, 6.5" 42 strand wires 2020

Second row, left to right:

Vintage round badge 6 ply maple/gum Jasper shell, Champagne sparkle finish, 4" Max Roach Progressive Jazz 42 snare wires 1968

USA Custom Bell Brass, 6.5" 42 strand wires 2018

Vintage round badge 6 ply maple/gum Jasper shell, Champagne sparkle finish, 5.5" 20 strand wires 1969

Vintage round badge COB model 4160 5" 42 strand wires 1968 or 1969 (I don't remember which.)

Back row, left to right:

Vintage stop sign badge COB model 4160 5" 20 strand wires 1972

Vintage stop sign badge Aluminum model 4108 5" 20 strand wires 1979

Gretsch snares as of February 2020.JPG

Vintage stop sign badge COB model 4160 5" 20 strand wires 1972

I have a similar one on layaway at a pawn shop and I am so excited to get it on my kit because it sounds great.

How did you specifically identify yours as a 1972? I only know mine is from the 1970s because of the stop sign badge and the general look of the whole thing.

How do you like the USA bell brass? I keep wanting a bell brass snare and it’s the only one I know of that’s priced somewhat reasonable. The vids I’ve seen if it sound great but I’ve never come across one in person.

I have a similar one on layaway at a pawn shop and I am so excited to get it on my kit because it sounds great.

How did you specifically identify yours as a 1972? I only know mine is from the 1970s because of the stop sign badge and the general look of the whole thing.

I bought it from the original owner. He got it as a birthday present and it sat in a case in a closet for forty or so years.

How do you like the USA bell brass? I keep wanting a bell brass snare and it’s the only one I know of that’s priced somewhat reasonable. The vids I’ve seen if it sound great but I’ve never come across one in person.

I love it, super responsive. It is one of my loudest snare drums, so far it had been used mainly in outdoor gigs.

Sweet!
My Catalina Club is all mahogany and with a hoop and throw-off upgrade, it's the perfect drum. I've always been a fan of that wood, and Gretsch came to the rescue for me.

How noticeable to your ears is the difference between the solid shell and regular USA Custom?

Honestly, they are very different flavors. The 6-ply maple/gum regular USA Custom is much warmer to my ears. The solid shell is more about attack and sustain. It sounds like a classic solid shell drum, like a radio king.

Back