On what albums do you think every single song is excellent?

My list would take too long. There are so many albums I love from start to finish. As my taste changed through the years I would eventually learn to love songs that I didn't like at the start. A good example of that is on the Moody Blues "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor" album. The last song on the album was called "My Song" and I would skip it because it was far too corny for me. Now I consider it one of the best songs ever written!

My list would take too long. There are so many albums I love from start to finish. As my taste changed through the years I would eventually learn to love songs that I didn't like at the start. A good example of that is on the Moody Blues "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor" album. The last song on the album was called "My Song" and I would skip it because it was far too corny for me. Now I consider it one of the best songs ever written!
Best song on that album, Mike Pinder had something special going on, at the time. He certainly knew how to play the mellotrone!

What a tough question! There’s something I don’t like on every album I have. No wonder people jumped on iTunes so easily - they can just buy what they want!

Couldn’t do that when I was a kid!

AC/DC back in black

That one really belonged in my list, I only omitted it because I don't think I can listen to "Shook me all night long" one more time. Ever.

As in I never fast forward or skip tracks? Way too many to list but a few off the top of my head....

Led Zep 1 and 2
Pink Floyd-Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals
Hendrix-Are You Experienced
Elton John-Tumbleweed Connection, Madman, Captain Fantastic
Fleetwood Mac-Rumours
West Side Story soundtrack and Leonard Bernstein conducting

Have to run, but I may be back...lol
I like your list, Mongrel. Let me add Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, if I may. ?

There are many but these are my safe bets and I don't grow tired of them.

D'Angelo- Voodoo
McCoy Tyner- The Real McCoy
Lagwagon- Hoss

Here are a few of mine.
Death: Human, Individual Thought Patterns, & Symbolic (that where my screen name comes from)
Obscura: Cosmogenesis, Omnivium, Akroasis, Diluvium (together they are all one big concept album)
Darkane: Rusted Angel, Layers of Lies, The Sinister Supremacy

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that jumped.out for me.

Here are a few of mine.
Death: Human, Individual Thought Patterns, & Symbolic (that where my screen name comes from)
Obscura: Cosmogenesis, Omnivium, Akroasis, Diluvium (together they are all one big concept album)
Darkane: Rusted Angel, Layers of Lies, The Sinister Supremacy

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that jumped.out for me.

So does anyone NOT sound like they’re screaming at a demon on any of those albums?

Beatles - Abbey Road
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon

AC/DC - Black in Black. This one is just because it’s seared into the memories of my 14yo self beginning my trek toward adulthood in the back of James’ 1979 Pontiac Trans Am while tooling around Orlando with friends. Sorry, no details.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
So does anyone NOT sound like they’re screaming at a demon on any of those albums?
Ha ha ha..not really. It's not all growling, but there is a lot of aggressive singing. Obscura does a lot of clean vocals going through a vocoder, and Darkane's does more cleanish singing. Chuck from Death changed his vocal styles album to album. Death Metal generally isn't vocal drive music for the most part.
Give Obscura a listen and tell me those guys don't know how to play.

Here are some of mine:

The Beatles - Revolver
Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
Big Star - Radio City
Television - Marquee Moon
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall
Velvet Crush - Teenage Symphonies To God
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On
Elliott Smith - Either/Or

I call these albums "Needle Droppers" since it doesn't matter where you drop the needle, it's a great song.

A few that haven't been mentioned:
Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind
April Wine: Nature of the Beast
Bad Company: Bad Company
Foreigner: 4
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Pronounced Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Cult: Electric

You like symphonic and classical music, listen to Death's Human album in order. The songs are written like different movements and the whole album flows really well. The song writing and musicianship is phenomenal. You probably won't like the growling.

Back