I've given up the search. I've ordered a 1-off Ludwig tom

Here's what I don't understand. You could have ordered the large gold keystone badge, at least according to the configurator spreadsheet that was still in use when you ordered.

It wouldn't have a serial number, but it would otherwise look like the badge your existing drums have.

My friend orders the large keystone badges because his first Ludwig set had them. Sentimental, I guess.

View attachment 90176

Isn't the GC Cast Brass Badge the one that's used on current ludwigs?

this is slightly related to the topic, maybe could be its own thread, but it's interesting to me it's taking that long for them to make your drum. are they just making that many other drums? It's amazing that they can just keep pumping out drums and people buy them. I am constantly looking just for fun and there's just so many sets for sale all over. who buys them?

also, do most larger drum companies mass produced several lines of kits or does say a store like Sweetwater order, for example, 4 classic maple sets directly from Ludwig?

this is slightly related to the topic, maybe could be its own thread, but it's interesting to me it's taking that long for them to make your drum. are they just making that many other drums?

With a custom one-off, I'm basically getting "in line" for an order, and I'm sure there are many orders in front of me. Depending on the factory, the sort of have to temporarily halt production for this one-off. It just takes time. Plus, I ordered on Christmas Eve, so who knows? They may have shut down for two weeks for Christmas.

It's amazing that they can just keep pumping out drums and people buy them. I am constantly looking just for fun and there's just so many sets for sale all over. who buys them?

Lots of people apparently. I think a lot of people buy drums and don't post their story online. I am NOT one of those people. :)

There are a lot of used drum sets on the market now too. I just assume, lots of players upgrade to newer kits more than I do.

also, do most larger drum companies mass produced several lines of kits or does say a store like Sweetwater order, for example, 4 classic maple sets directly from Ludwig?

My assumption is that different companies have different relationships with stores. I would assume that with a place like Ludwig, they probably receive orders directly from stores/dealers. Ludwig probably then charges the store about 40% of list and then the store charges about 60% of list. I know of a few other drum companies that work this way. Some higher-end drum stores will only keep a handful of sets in stock so you can try them out, then you just order exactly what you want. You are more than welcome to buy off the floor if you wish as well.

Other instrument brands are not so easy to work with. A very large guitar company that shall remain nameless was contacted by a friend of mine who was looking into opening a guitar store who wanted to deal with some of their higher-end guitars. The guitar company would not play ball because this company makes all dealers/stores order x-amount of their cheap guitars in order to get just one or two of their higher-end models. I'm pretty sure that EVERY local music store within an hour drive of here has stopped carrying their guitars because they didn't want to order like 50 cheap guitars just to get one of the USA-made ones.

Isn't the GC Cast Brass Badge the one that's used on current ludwigs?
Yeah. I didn't bold that text. It's bold because that's the default badge. You should have ordered LGK large gold keystone if you want a close match (no serial number) to your kit.

In regards to your wait, yes, that is fairly normal for Ludwig. As you mentioned in an previous post, you have your spot in line.

I ordered a 3.5 x 13" piccolo in copper rose mist with a 110th anniversary badge. The order was placed June 28, 2019. I got the drum October 10, 2019. Its delivery estimate slipped two times.

Yeah. I didn't bold that text. It's bold because that's the default badge. You should have ordered LGK large gold keystone if you want a close match (no serial number) to your kit.

In regards to your wait, yes, that is fairly normal for Ludwig. As you mentioned in an previous post, you have your spot in line.

I ordered a 3.5 x 13" piccolo in copper rose mist with a 110th anniversary badge. The order was placed June 28, 2019. I got the drum October 10, 2019. Its delivery estimate slipped two times.

If I don't hear anything by next Tuesday, I'm thinking of emailing the dealer I bought it through to see if he's heard anything.

BTW, my next kit will be a Ludwig 24, 13, 16, 18 in the copper rose mist. That finish is awesome.

BTW, my next kit will be a Ludwig 24, 13, 16, 18 in the copper rose mist. That finish is awesome.

thanks for all your thoughts and insight above! interesting to hear about that guitar company.

and just between the two of you that's 3 orders alone- guess it makes sense Ludwig is so busy :). is it cheaper to order a kit directly through them than it would be to get one that's in stock from a retailer (given it's the exact same kit)?

is it cheaper to order a kit directly through them than it would be to get one that's in stock from a retailer (given it's the exact same kit)?

It's cheaper to order Ludwig Classic Maples through Long Island Drum Company than anywhere unless you are buying used...even compared with sets that are already in stock at other places (unless they are on closeout because it's discontinued or something). I'd just assume order exactly what I want from Dennis as opposed to looking settling for whatever is in stock somewhere. This probably doesn't help my personal carbon footprint, but why settle?

My friend was thinking about ordering a copper rose mist set. Columbus Percussion told him that Ludwig was having trouble with the wrap and that it was in limited supply.

However, it's still on the Ludwig site. Hopefully it's just a rumor.

My friend was thinking about ordering a copper rose mist set. Columbus Percussion told him that Ludwig was having trouble with the wrap and that it was in limited supply.

However, it's still on the Ludwig site. Hopefully it's just a rumor.
I’m afraid it’s not a rumour! They have indeed discontinued that finish making it an extremely limited run! I’m here in the UK and I managed to order the last 3 drums from the piece of wrap. I now have 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, 22x14,18x12 and 26x12 if you know of anyone else who is getting rid of any other sizes in that finish I would love to get my hands on and would be willing to pay well!

I’ve been debating ordering at matching 7x10 to add on to my set in blue sparkle. i did get a price quote on it about a month ago and I was given about a 60 day time frame to expect for delivery as a target if I did buy. I’m still debating if it is worth it.

Bad news: Today marks 9 weeks since I ordered.

Good news: It's supposed to be on the truck today being delivered to LIDC! I asked Dennis if he would unbox it for me and take a quick glance just to make sure everything looks good before he mails it my way. I have gigs coming up in like a week or so. I'm ready for it to get here.

I really hate that about the copper rose mist finish. I wonder what kinds of problems they were having with it? I've seen a few kits online with that wrap, but they weren't the sizes I wanted. They looked great though!

I’m afraid it’s not a rumour! They have indeed discontinued that finish making it an extremely limited run! I’m here in the UK and I managed to order the last 3 drums from the piece of wrap. I now have 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, 22x14,18x12 and 26x12 if you know of anyone else who is getting rid of any other sizes in that finish I would love to get my hands on and would be willing to pay well!

All I have in that finish is a 3.5" x 13" piccolo with a 110th anniversary badge.

I'm very relieved for you Martin. I can imagine the feeling of a thorn in your side looking at the other highly visible rack tom.

You're good to go now.

You know, you're probably right. Even though I don't have the tom in my possession at this point, I'm already considering putting newer badges on my kick drum and floor tom. My wife works at printing shop, so I had even thought about having a couple of Ludwig shell decals/stickers for my kick and rack tom made that feature the serial numbers that are on the original badges. I don't know though. It would be cool if Ludwig would just print some for me, but they are probably paranoid about doing such things (and I don't blame them).

It would be cool if Ludwig would just print some for me, but they are probably paranoid about doing such things (and I don't blame them).

I got a two badges "from the dumpster" when I toured the factory: a Keystone X and a B&O without a serial number. Selling badges could easily lead to counterfeits. The new cast brass badge would be very difficult to reproduce. The large keystone and B&O are much easier to duplicate.

D7EF4917-A97A-41B3-B1F2-36EC30322216.jpeg8E0953F3-7F41-43CF-ACEF-651D9C25BCB6.jpegCAD205DD-11E0-4330-BECE-224E7B0A19CB.jpeg

Here are the pics.

While it sounds fine, I really wished the wrap matched better. I guess I’ll play it and try to be ok with it. God knows I’ve got too much money in it to NOT be happy. Maybe when this is actually set up, the contrast won’t be as bad.

There’s really no one to blame really. There’s always next time. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
View attachment 90588View attachment 90589View attachment 90590

Here are the pics.

While it sounds fine, I really wished the wrap matched better. I guess I’ll play it and try to be ok with it. God knows I’ve got too much money in it to NOT be happy. Maybe when this is actually set up, the contrast won’t be as bad.

There’s really no one to blame really. There’s always next time. Lesson learned.

While it appears obvious in 'daylight' my guess is it will hardly show on a dark stage/under lights? Even in the RH pic it's less noticeable......

While it appears obvious in 'daylight' my guess is it will hardly show on a dark stage/under lights? Even in the RH pic it's less noticeable......

What I’m hoping is that when it’s set up, the contrast won’t be so bad. Honestly, I don’t think it’s as bad in person as it is in the pics, but it is a little disheartening.

I bet when your kit is set up with the drums at different angles it won’t be noticeable unless you look for it.

bought my pro beat from sweetwater and then had to wait for the matching 18” to be built by Ludwig. It was hard th wait but worth it. And the wrap match was perfect, but they were only made a few months apart.

Look at it this way(if you can)-order your big kit and the 18” at the same time. Then the match will be on, and you’ll own the thunder.

Back