New SpeedKing

Have you ever played the SK?

Yup, have owned a couple. Not for me. I prefer my Sonor Perfect Balance ( JoJo) pedal or Axis Longboard pedals.
I could never get the Speedking to dial in the way I wanted it and all of them had the nasty little habit of the beater shaft sliding down no matter how tight I tightened the screw to clamp it. I can see the charm in it for some people and I love the history of it. I just don't like playing them.
I also disliked how the heel plated rattled and then it would eventually squeak. So, yes Skilas, I have owned Speedking pedals.

So Jon, what are the improvements? I can't tell from that pic.

Bearing for the footplate instead of just a thin rod, a cast clamp piece for better grip, and I think a slightly beefier 'strap' from footboard to yoke/axle. It's a bit smoother than the original, and no squeak.

The beater is basically the original felt beater, and made in the Monroe plant.

I don't know the price on it yet.

Bermuda

Something to check out Thursday! I grew up on the Speed King for a short time before getting a Camco leather strap clone by Slingerland. I didn’t have a problem playing one, maybe since I have a Ludwig kit now......

Really excited that this fab pedal is in production again. But I cannot find antyhing about it on the internet, except on a couple of drum forums, including this one... Hasn't Ludwig presented it yet?

/Magnus

First professional pedal I had, played it to death, love em. Might have to get one to go with the Luddy.

Are they offering a bag with it? Ultimate travel pedal.

Really excited that this fab pedal is in production again. But I cannot find antyhing about it on the internet, except on a couple of drum forums, including this one... Hasn't Ludwig presented it yet?

/Magnus

It debuts at NAMM this morning!

The obvious changes are a bearing for the footplate hinge, rubber pads for the under-hoop 'feet', the clamp is cast not stamped and a little beefier, there's a drum key holder attached to the base, and the beater set screw has a drum key head (rather that the old wingbolt.) There are some other mods - improved cam bearings and the pull-strap is a little beefier - but unless you look closely... it's a classic Speed King! The beater is just like the original, made in Monroe.

Oh yeah, it plays really nicely!

Bermuda

_speedking.jpg

Last edited:

The obvious changes are a bearing for the footplate hinge, rubber pads for the under-hoop 'feet', the clamp is cast not stamped and a little beefier, there's a drum key holder attached to the base, and the beater set screw has a drum key head (rather that the old wingbolt.) There are some other mods - improved cam bearings and the pull-strap is a little beefier - but unless you look closely... it's a classic Speed King! The beater is just like the original, made in Monroe.

Bermuda

View attachment 89584

Thanks a million for sharing all of your intel, Bermuda.

I also dig the retro packaging.

Bermuda

Thanks Bermuda, for the information. This is all gold to me. I adore/love this pedal. I have five of these puppies: two from the last litter in the early 2000s, and three of varying ages. I play no other pedal - I just can't get along with chains or belts - and will definitely get one of these new ones!

This means a lot to me as a drummer!

Best from Sweden,

Magnus

I've never understood the swivel-y part at the heel end of the footboard. :confused:

Thanks Bermuda, for the information. This is all gold to me. I adore/love this pedal. I have five of these puppies: two from the last litter in the early 2000s, and three of varying ages. I play no other pedal - I just can't get along with chains or belts - and will definitely get one of these new ones!

This means a lot to me as a drummer!

Best from Sweden,

Magnus
My first and only kit is a Ludwig Blue Oyster with the SK. Years later I traded the SK with a friend who had a Pearl strap pedal. I was younger then and wasn’t focused on technique. My double strokes were easier with the Pearl. I’m waning nostalgic and I would like to try a new SK to make my kit as original again as possible. I wished the new SK pedal came with a smoother pedal surface.

I've never understood the swivel-y part at the heel end of the footboard. :confused:
Bump! Bermuda or any other Ludwig aficionado please explain this design? :)

Back