Ever had a band you just couldn't like

SuperUltra

Has anyone ever listened to a band that had good music, but just couldn't like them because maybe they had a theme or belief that just made them revolting to you? An example for me would be Ghost, I like there songs but just couldn't find it in myself to like them because I was not very drawn to the whole satanic cult theme because I found it disturbing.

As far as themes, no. Musically, yes. Tool specifically as an example. I just can't get into them. Their music puts me in a foul mood. They have everything as a band that I would be into, but I just can't do it and I don't know why. Some other bands get similar results.

As far as themes, I've seen just about everything. Playing metal, I've shared the stage with satanists, gore bands, people wearing corpse paint, blah blah blah. It's just entertainment, I really don't buy any more into it than that. Honestly, I have to like the music before all else. Lyrics, themes, gimmicks, if the music isn't good this doesn't matter to me.

As far as themes, no. Musically, yes. Tool specifically as an example. I just can't get into them. Their music puts me in a foul mood. They have everything as a band that I would be into, but I just can't do it and I don't know why. Some other bands get similar results.

As far as themes, I've seen just about everything. Playing metal, I've shared the stage with satanists, gore bands, people wearing corpse paint, blah blah blah. It's just entertainment, I really don't buy any more into it than that. Honestly, I have to like the music before all else. Lyrics, themes, gimmicks, if the music isn't good this doesn't matter to me.

Interesting. Thanks.

Too many to list....so I won't.

Lol

Ps-I am thankful you are not drawn to Satanic Cults!

Best part about this is that on talkbass and it got taken down for 1. It was in the wrong forum and 2. No good reason. But here I can post it with no unseen consequences!

Tons... my main one would be GNR... it's an amazing band that knows how to kick ass.. then the singer just ruins every song.. I like to call it the robert plant syndrome.. if you have a band that good behind you how bout not making moaning or whiney noises.. go sit in the back and let them play.

But as other have said.. just too many.. There are tons of bands with musicians i respect but can't listen to them.

Listening? Plenty.

Playing? None. I've either never joined or quit with a quickness if I start feeling that there's incompatibility. I'm willing to work with a promising band that is working through some issues but only so long as they are working on it for real.

Yes, Queen..

Would be silly to say that they only have bad songs, but in my opinion they are one of the ugliest sounding bands that ever existed on this planet..

Many people seem to think different about that though, which is ok..

Wow guys. I'm surprised at some of your answers. But, having been a DJ for 25 years, I know this, we are all not alike when it comes to the music we enjoy. I've always said, Music is like food--we eat what taste good, and if we don't like it, we remove it from our plate.

With that said, I've never enjoyed Punk music. Some songs, here and there. Sex Pistols, Ramones. . .and I'm sure there are punk songs I like that I don't even realize are considered punk.

There is a lot of music I don't enjoy anymore, but I was forced to play it as a DJ, so that's a different factor.

If Limp Bizkit was never in existence, I would NOT be upset, nor would I care.

MotherLoveBone. . . .I'll say it, a great band really, but I could NOT get into them at all.

For the reasons suggested by the OP: Green Day - Billy Joe is a dick.

Other bands, of course, but really not many, just because I can't get into their flavor of food.

Sure. Plenty.

Given my love for The Who, Pink Floyd, classic rock, prog and good singers, one would assume I'm a huge fan of Queen. But I'm not. I have nothing against them, it doesn't do anything for me.

Lots of 90's bands did nothing for me. But a few did.

As for Ghost, I didn't listen to them for a long time, because I assumed based on their reputation and their look, they were extreme metal, along the lines of black metal or similar. So funny enough when I finally gave them a chance, they sound more pop than extreme metal. They have more in common with Abba then what I think a satanic metal band would sound like. I find it kind of funny. Though I can't say I'm a fan.

Rush.

Lord knows I've tried. I own 2112 and Moving Pictures and once every 18 months or so I pull them out and try again. Unfortunately, I just can't cop 'em.

It's not the playing. Musically they're fabulous. It's not the songwriting, imagery or themes. They've got plenty to hold my interest lyrically.

But the guys voice. Christ. It makes me want to shove a couple of HB pencils in my ears and stop the pain!

Last edited:
For the reasons suggested by the OP: Green Day - Billy Joe is a dick.

Other bands, of course, but really not many, just because I can't get into their flavor of food.

Billie is almost like Corey Taylor, and don’t get me wrong I like him but he is extremely obnoxious, but Billie compared to Corey on levels of obnoxiousness makes Corey look like a patron saint.

Last edited:
Dave Matthews. Really respect the musicality, but just cannot get into the songs. Sounds like a more modern version of Bob Dylan. The vocals kill me...

Reactions: TJK

I have to say Tool also. Great band. Generally my kind of music. I want to like them but I just don't. Singer sings the same scale every song (that's my problem with Nevermore too).
And too often they take a riff or odd time signature and just run it into the ground for the entire song.

Re reading the OPs question I’ll cite U2. Some great songs and great albums, some of their songs even soundtracked memorable moments in my life and fortunately I don’t wince when I hear those. However, Bono.

Back