What's the thickest yet lightest stick?

LittleLegs

Hi - I find thick sticks much easier on the grip that thin sticks and usually play the Vic Firth Thomas Langs. I don't play very fast and my technique is good - very relaxed grip and let the stick do all the work. These are most comfortable sticks I've ever tried and they sound amazing. Recently I'm finding that hours working on a computer are effecting my hands and I wondered if anyone has any ideas for a lighter option I could experiment with. THANKS.

Maple sticks should be a fair bit lighter than hickory. There aren't as many maple models available, but you might be able to find one that suits you.

Yeah. Maple.

I usually start kids off with SD2s because they're both beefy and light.

Sucherman's sigs are also maple.

I'm liking the Regal Tip Anarchy X. .555 diameter with a beefy neck and short taper. I also like the Glenn Sobel which is the same only .620 diameter.

I've been having a problem with my right hand. Not so much from computer work, probably due to age... Definitely made worse by snowblower overuse a couple years ago, but that's another story...

At any rate, I too felt like I needed to move to thicker sticks, and I even tried some maple ones for weight savings. Seemed to help, but then a little numbness would set in. I try to be aware of technique, and I know I'm not gripping too tight. (I can see the label slowly spin as I play.) I like a stick with a diameter around .550 - .555.

Part of why I thought thicker sticks were the way to go was because I always keep a set of Regal Tip 5A's around (.580). They were more or less my first stick, so I had them for nostalgia as much as anything. I did notice my hands always felt better when I used them.

Recently, I've noticed I can use any size stick as long as they are Regal Tip - I believe it's the lacquer. (I'm also going to experiment with Vic Firth Doubleglaze.)

It might be worth a try.

Maple is not stringy like hickory, and when it fails, it snaps clean through with no apparent wear on the sticks. The broken part is a dangerous projectile IMO. It also leaves you with a very sharp point in your hand.

I liken maple sticks to running with scissors.

I am not a hard hitter mostly and I couldn't get more than a gig or 2 from them.

Plus I would drop maple sticks much more. I attribute that to I'm not used to the lighter weight. I tried to like maple but it just doesn't perform satisfactorily for me.

Recently, I've noticed I can use any size stick as long as they are Regal Tip.

Plus they have a great weight distribution probably due to the weight in the handle and they don't vibrate in your hands. Regal tip is all I use. To me, they just feel better than any other stick.

Maple is not stringy like hickory, and when it fails, it snaps clean through with no apparent wear on the sticks. The broken part is a dangerous projectile IMO. It also leaves you with a very sharp point in your hand.

I liken maple sticks to running with scissors.

I am not a hard hitter mostly and I couldn't get more than a gig or 2 from them.

Plus I would drop maple sticks much more. I attribute that to I'm not used to the lighter weight. I tried to like maple but it just doesn't perform satisfactorily for me.
I've been using Vater Sugar Maple 5A and Fusion for a few years now and never had one break like that. Mine always wear at the neck (hi-hat chips), about the same as the hickory and oak I've used.

What about a nice light, thin stick with one of those grip covers.

What about a nice light, thin stick with one of those grip covers.

Not a bad idea, couple of wraps of stick wrap could do the trick. Maybe gloves?

Although I don't like the look of them, if it helps you play then why not.

I've been using Vater Sugar Maple 5A and Fusion for a few years now and never had one break like that. Mine always wear at the neck (hi-hat chips), about the same as the hickory and oak I've used.

Wow really? I believe you but that goes counter to all my experiences with maple. So OK they work for some people.

To pbm2112: Maybe you can get a too thin stick that you otherwise like, and wrap where you hold it with something to pad it out.

Band-aids, foil, fabric, rubber bands...

Back