Show off your TAMA !

That's a nice looking drum. I would have never guessed it is brass though. I looks like Walnut. Congrats on you purchase. It's a beauty.

That's a nice looking drum. I would have never guessed it is brass though. I looks like Walnut. Congrats on you purchase. It's a beauty.

Well actually it's cast bronze shell :))

It just has the name bell BRASS but it's bronze shell. Silly, i know, but that's the way it is :)

Hello guys! It's me again!
This time with something really, really special :))
"The Holy Grail" among snares! Snare is 15 years old, superb condition!

Tama Bell Brass 14x6,5 , 3mm cast bronze shell,
Lars Ulrich signature (Scorched earth finish), very rare,
150 pieces worldwide, this one is #100. It weights 13 kilos!? Also worth a fortune!

Now that is a special drum! Congrats on a rare find! Tampa Bell Brass is hands down the best "bell brass" drum I've ever played. I wonder if this unique finish alters it sonically from the standard bell brass?

Now that is a special drum! Congrats on a rare find! Tampa Bell Brass is hands down the best "bell brass" drum I've ever played. I wonder if this unique finish alters it sonically from the standard bell brass?

I don't think so, sound comes from inside of the shell, not from outside :)
Only difference from original bell brass (brass hoops) are the hoops, this one comes with diecast hoops. Rimshots are more powerfull and have more overtones than with brass hoops.

My 1985 TAMAs newly re-wrapped in mirror chrome

Attachments

• IMG_6143-2.jpg
    IMG_6143-2.jpg
    785.2 KB · Views: 1,430
  • IMG_6140-2.jpg
    IMG_6140-2.jpg
    967.9 KB · Views: 1,434
2014 Tama Starclassic Maple 5 pc.

Attachments

• 015a.jpg
    015a.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,401
Just picked up this little guy today. Tama Silverstar in blue sparkle. This will be replacing my older Yamaha Stage Custom as my second kit (sound wise my Yamahas can't touch this kit). And after playing it for a few minutes, might be replacing my Saturn as my primary live rig. 8x12, 14x14, came with a 5x14 SLP steel snare. Now, are you ready for this? The bass drum is 14x20. Didn't know Tama made a 14x20 in this series, but I have one. So far very impressed with this kit; I love the brown stain inside the shells and bass drum hoops.

Attachments

• IMG_6911.JPG
    IMG_6911.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 1,243
Wow, neat stuff in this thread!

Here's my swingstar/imperialstar set, probably taken the first time I set it up in 1986 - the toms definitely didn't stay in this position for long!

I sold half of it around 1992, still have the rest. Wish I'd kept the 18" floor tom. I replaced the chrome/steel snare with a piano white Artwood (same as aspen white, as near as I can tell) that is currently not working very well.

Attachments

• t_impstars_1_1200x.jpg
    t_impstars_1_1200x.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 1,235
Wow, neat stuff in this thread!

Here's my swingstar/imperialstar set, probably taken the first time I set it up in 1986 - the toms definitely didn't stay in this position for long!

I sold half of it around 1992, still have the rest. Wish I'd kept the 18" floor tom. I replaced the chrome/steel snare with a piano white Artwood (same as aspen white, as near as I can tell) that is currently not working very well.

Now THAT'S a real kit!

Here's my CAR Superstar set, the root bought in 1990. The root kit was a standard 5 piece with 22x14 kick, 12, 13, 16 floor, 14x5 Imperialstar Master Craft snare. Over the years I added on a 22x16 kick, custom ordered Granstar Custom 10" closed and 15" closed toms and most recently I replaced 6, 8, 10 Roto toms with three Kellar shell based concert toms (drilled and beveled by Precision Drums in NY) which I finished myself with Superstar hardware and Guitar Reranch colors to make Candy Apple Red. I did it myself, first time ever and I think they came out just fine for my purposes. :) I'm working on getting an 18" floor tom to replace the 16"....

Attachments

• Color2018-3.JPG
    Color2018-3.JPG
    799.9 KB · Views: 957
Here's my recently restored 1991 Artstar 2. Stripped all the lacquer off and finished it with tung oil, turned out rather splendid!

By the way, if anyone has a pair of Starclassic bass drum spurs they want to sell me, please let me know. It has Pearl ones fitted at the moment, which is just wrong!

Attachments

• IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 909
^^^^ Nice! May they give you years of musical joy! Peace and goodwill.

Can an argument be made that as more hardware (weight) is attached to a drum, the more the resonance and tone is changed/reduced?

What makes me think this is how the lugs (right word?) are so long on the drums in the above pic. While looking cool AF, I'm wondering about all that metal touching the wood.

On that same note, would a lug assembly that went from batter head rim to resonant head rim be the best sort of connection? You know, not even touching the drum - only the rim?

Waking, baking, drumming, thinking...

Here's my recently restored 1991 Artstar 2. Stripped all the lacquer off and finished it with tung oil, turned out rather splendid!

By the way, if anyone has a pair of Starclassic bass drum spurs they want to sell me, please let me know. It has Pearl ones fitted at the moment, which is just wrong!

That looks awesome! It looks basically brand new. Nice work.

Can an argument be made that as more hardware (weight) is attached to a drum, the more the resonance and tone is changed/reduced?

What makes me think this is how the lugs (right word?) are so long on the drums in the above pic. While looking cool AF, I'm wondering about all that metal touching the wood.

On that same note, would a lug assembly that went from batter head rim to resonant head rim be the best sort of connection? You know, not even touching the drum - only the rim?

Waking, baking, drumming, thinking...
Check out Wac’d drums.com. There is nothing touching the shells at all. I have the parts for one snare drum and posted a video some years ago as to how the system work. Just tightening one lug tightens the entire head in balance. Gary Wac’d is a forum member here. Johnny Rabb has one of his sets. In the picture above those long lugs, the center part is removable and not attached to the shell.

Picked up these Superstar Classic Maple shells for a really good price from Craigslist. Outfitted it with Ludwig 400 series hardware. PST 7 cymbals (14 med hi hat, 16 thin crash, 18 med crash, 20 med ride). Evans G1 and G2s.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 721
I've been real busy other than drumming and haven't been here for a while. I have a nice picture of my kit from a gig a month or so ago.
de7MrML.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back