Is Vinnie playing Pro-Mark now!!!!

Maverick10

I saw a video on YouTube of him with the Brian Eisenberg orchestra and he's using Promarks!!! I knew he might have been changing things up when his VF stick was on sale at Guitar Center for super cheap to clear out stock. I wonder what his Sig stick will be like.

J

They must be paying more.
I knew Vince back in high school and he swore by Regal Tip 5B's.

I always wonder when a famous drummer switches a signature piece of gear to another brand if it's money motivated, customer service, or just needing a creative change.

Leaving Zildjian went along with the cymbals.

Leaving Vic as I understand, was about wanting to do some changes and I guess they didn't want to make a new stone.

He's trying out different stuff and yes, he's using Pro Marks in that vid.

Having had has signature as my favourite stick all along I miss those Zildjian. Or rather, I have a bunch and I dread the day I run out.

I would think VF would make the changes but I get it. For them it comes down to money vs money out. And if his Sig stick wasn't selling then why put out the money to not have a return.

I'm all for trying out new gear to see what works for me not playing something just cause a name is on it but I'm Look I g forward to see what he ends up with. Will it be a new sig stick or will he play a standard model.

Wave,
I don't care what sticks he plays. I have a pair of his VF sticks and I like them. But I was posting on an observation I made about his sticks. I'm sure its no different than when someone famous changes cymbal companies, or drums and every one talks about it.

I'm sure he would sound amazing playing with the sticks from the Barton bin using two different sizes of sticks.
Haha

So... he's playing other sticks.... really, who cares? Why don't we start a new thread everytime VC changes his pants-brand?

...as if HIM changing sticks would affect OUR playing in any way.

Keep in mind we're talking about Vinnie here... not Dave Weckl.

And besides, what's up with Weckl anyway, he has 2 different sig sticks that are almost identical?

So... he's playing other sticks.... really, who cares?
You probably wouldn't believe how many people care. Basically, everyone who got used to his signature sticks and can't find them anymore.

Hmmmm... weird, I can still buy Jake Hanna Signature sticks, although he is dead. And Ed Thigpen brushes. Thigpen is dead, too. Too much drama-queen-stuff in here IMO. What did you all do, when Vinne switched to Gretsch? Did you all buy new drums? What did you do, when Phil Collins switched to Sabian? Did you all sell your Zildjian-cymbals? And what would you do if there were no Vinnie signature sticks? Hmmmm... stop drumming? Or simply switch to one of the quadrillion other sticks that are out there?

And btw. I do not care and never cared about Dave Weckl or his sticks. So, trying to pinch me with such comments as above is childish at best. Just for the record.

https://youtu.be/Ka9mfZbTFbk

There's two sides of the music business. Many people here are equally as interested in the business. Hence the thread.

In drumming circles Vinnie is about as big a name as you can get. He can play anything. And he's played with everybody. Of course drummers are going to sit up and notice what he does, both on and around the drum kit.

What's the harm?

. He has not played with everyone, please don't exaggerate). ;-)

You can narrow your focus and choose to be belligerently literal, if you like. Or you can broaden your horizons a little and recognise the wider point.

Still, which sticks he plays or doesn't play is - to be honest - as interesting as a bag of nails. And adding four exclamationmarks to the thread-title doesn't make it more interesting, either.

Personally, I couldn't give a fuck either. Whether Vinnie plays with Pro-Mark sticks, chop sticks, or bloody cinnamon sticks is of little consequence to me.

But where does that leave those that are? Do they have to bite their tongues because Wave Deckel's decided to get the shits up and stamp his objections all over this particular thread?

I am simply amazed that such really really unimportant things are considered big news nowadays. I am waiting for the next thread that will present us Dave Weckl playing with moon-boots as big news...

Obviously. You've just spent three whole posts whining about it. Why not just move on to something that you feel is important?

It's incredible with much passion one doesn't care. lol

There were those two buttons Geroge Carlin talked about. One turns the TV off and one changes the station.

In any case, it's a unique stick. It's the stick I ended up with when I started drumming after trying a bunch. I wish Zildjian would have just continued making it and called it whatever. I can play any stick, but I'd generally opt for the one I actually like the most, has the tip that gives me the sound I want and naturally fits my hands and technique.

Isn't it just a 5B? Well, isn't every additional model signature or otherwise just a slight variation on a handful of basic models? Why are there so many other tools and variations on e.g. brushes? Weren't the original flyswatters good enough?

I use other sticks, though. I have some lighter sticks like the Erskine Ride & Big Band stick, the Riley standard and combo as well as 10 different ones in my orchestral bag so I guess I'll have to stop playing anything else but small group acoustic jazz and symphonic stuff. :)

I'm sorry Wave, but even though it hurts your feelings, I care.

If you look for a reason why something not works or sounds as you want - and you practise like mad - you start looking around which heads, sticks, cymbals your favorite drummer plays. So you get an idea, try out or buy - whatever. So i think for the Newbie and Unsecure it really has influence what the Super Cracks play.

Every company with a sales-department takes care and spend more than the half of their budget on advertisement. So in my opinion: instead of buying full sites on Modern Drummer it would be easier, to label a 5B with Vinnie Colaiuta and give him his $ 500.00 and some free sticks - there is not more money in this business.

Bernhard

“Good artists borrow, great artists steal." - Pablo Picasso

Hello,
Since I'm the originator of this thread I'd like to weigh in after reading all the post that came in since my last post.

Wave,
You're right, my thread isn't big, earth-shattering news. In fact in the overall scheme of life it's super insignificant. I can admit that.

but the fact that you're saying what happened to the threads talking about music, technique, etc etc. well last time I checked, (which was a few secs ago) the title of this forum is under Gear, sub category Head and Sticks. So to me that says we can and should post threads about exact what I posted. If your ranting and raving in this thread is about the OVERALL decline of topics in Drummerworld, then you're either looking in the wrong section or you need to start your own thread in the correct section.

You may not care about what this Thread topic is, you may feel it's worthless, but there may be some out there that care, that find the business side of music interesting and like to talk about it and learn about it. I'm not a newbie or unsecure in what I play or how I play. I pick my gear based on how it works for me. Sure i'll read reviews by the pros or other drummers on here, i'll ask friends what they thought about XYZ, i'll try something out, but at the end of the day the gear has to work for me and what I do with it. When a player whether big name pro or average gigging drummer switches gear after using something for a long time, people take notice. Chad Smith switching from Pearl to DW, Weckl from Zildjian to Sabian, VC from Zildjian to Paiste. Imagine if Peart switched from Pro-Mark to Vater. There's always a moment where people go "whoa I wonder what made them Change", Does this affect me?? nope and they move on. But they still talk about it.

I never meant for a simple observation I made in a VC video to get people up in arms.

I'm not a fan of the Vinnie stick, but I understand that if you are a fan of a certain signature stick, it would be news and worth talking about. I'm not a fan of Aaron Spears' music, but I do like his drumming. I am, however, a fan of his signature stick. It would be news to me if his stick was no longer available.

Posts don’t have to be big breaking news. They, depending on subject, can be informative, and useful. As was said previously, don’t like the show, change th channel. I have removed all of Waves posts as they were not necessary and a bit rude. Don’t like the thread, move on. Thanks.

Thank you Gruntersdad,

I try to not post things that will start fights, but I guess you can't please all the people all the time. ha.

Thank You.

Back