Ludwig Element A2E with Roland cymbals/ TD-10 module

toddmc

Gold Member
Hey guys, lots of awesome kit pix on this thread so thought I'd throw mine into the mix. For anyone interested in the tech specs:

Drums: Ludwig Element Power Fusion kit in black/grey burst finish with black lugs & rims. Shells- marbled birch inner and outer thin 6-ply shell with poplar core.
A. Roland PD-120 mesh pad (snare drum)
B. 7 x 8 tom
C. 8 x 10 tom
D. 9 x 12 tom
E. 5 x 14 snare (converted for use as 14" floor tom)
F. 14 x 16 floor tom
G. 18 x 22 bass drum (double bass kit)

Electronics: Roland TD-10 module with TDW expansion card, Roland V-cymbals, Quartz Percussion harness triggers (toms & snare), Roland KD-85 mesh pad (located inside bass drum).
1. VH-11 hi-hat
2. 2 x CY-14 cymbals
3. 2 x CY-12 R/C cymbals

Hardware: Pearl Demon Drive double pedal, Selby hi-hat stand, Roland MDS-10PL rack (powder-coated in black satin)/ Dixon rack, 2 x Roland MDY-10 cymbal booms arms, 2 x Dixon cymbal arms with clamps.

Heads: 682Drums mesh heads (black, 2-ply)/ Roland mesh on all drum batter sides, Power Beat black mylar heads on 8”, 10” & 12” tom bottoms, Remo clear Ambassadors on snare and 16” floor tom bottoms, Remo ebony 22” bass drum head.
Custom made bass drum decal by Hit-N-Run Drum (Vic Rattlehead/ McGrath as Megadeth logo design)

Sticks: 3 Drumsticks 5A acorn tip

Attachments

• Drum1.jpg
    Drum1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,910
  • Drum 2.jpg
    Drum 2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Drum 3.jpg
    Drum 3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,955
  • Drum 4.jpg
    Drum 4.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,164
  • Drum 5.jpg
    Drum 5.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,417
Nice!
This kit looks very interesting! I guess it sounds pretty nice too? It would be lovely to try this kind of kit, which is acoustic set transfered to E- kit! Does those drum heads give a natural drum feel like other drumheads and do those heads make "noise" like real drum heads?I guess that kit gotta be a damn fun to play!
I also like very much of that finish, nice looking kit overall!
Also may I ask, why do you use double pedal with two bassdrums?I've seen a lot of people using doubles with two bassdrums specially in live shows beacuse of micing and tuning but you have e-kit, so there aint problems with getting bassdrums tuned to same pitch..Is it beacuse of there aren't enough lines for two bassdrums in the drum module?

I'm quite surprised! From your video I thought I'd see a regular e-kit. When I saw the pics in this thread I couldn't believe it's the same kit - you've modded an A for an E, cool! I wouldn't rule out to integrate some electric stuff into my set in the longer run.

Last edited:
Nice!
This kit looks very interesting! I guess it sounds pretty nice too? It would be lovely to try this kind of kit, which is acoustic set transfered to E- kit! Does those drum heads give a natural drum feel like other drumheads and do those heads make "noise" like real drum heads?I guess that kit gotta be a damn fun to play!
I also like very much of that finish, nice looking kit overall!
Also may I ask, why do you use double pedal with two bassdrums?I've seen a lot of people using doubles with two bassdrums specially in live shows beacuse of micing and tuning but you have e-kit, so there aint problems with getting bassdrums tuned to same pitch..Is it beacuse of there aren't enough lines for two bassdrums in the drum module?
Thanks mate, to answer your questions:
1. I put some clips here if you want to hear how it sounds. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94064 The sounds would be a lot better if I forked out for a V-Expressions pack or used VST's but just used my own module settings to what I thought sounded ok.
2. Mesh heads IMO give the best feel (and are a LOT quieter than acoustic mylar heads) but some people complain they feel too "bouncy".
3. You guessed it- using a double pedal coz I've maxed out my inputs on the module (and of course the TD-10 module doesn't allow splitting)!

I'm quite surprised! From your video I thought I'd see a regular e-kit. When I saw the pics in this thread I couldn't believe it's the same kit - you've modded an A for an E, cool! I wouldn't rule out to integrate some electric stuff into my set in the longer run.
Well technically it is just a regular e-kit : )
Nothing special about it electronics-wise, like a lot of e-drummers I just wanted to have the quietness/versatility of an E-kit with the looks of an A.

I have tried a set up like this before, it didn't work. What kind of trigger set up did you use? I tried the roland RT triggers on top of the mesh heads, didn't work well at all. I see yours are under the head. HOW DID YOU DO THIS?!?!?!?

NM I read your whole post and saw the quartz trigger. I am kind of slow!

I have tried a set up like this before, it didn't work. What kind of trigger set up did you use? I tried the roland RT triggers on top of the mesh heads, didn't work well at all. I see yours are under the head. HOW DID YOU DO THIS?!?!?!?

NM I read your whole post and saw the quartz trigger. I am kind of slow!
Yep, Quartz harness system is IMO the easiest way to trigger your drums (internally that is). http://quartzpercussions.com/products_en.html
Ddrum redshots are easier to install but then you have this bright red trigger sticking out on your drums.

Back