Mark Guiliana

Re: Mark Guiliana, anyone?

I really like Mark's playing. I have been checking out that Wayne Krantz clip for a couple of weeks now. Tremendous phrasing!

I also like his choice of orchestration, and the saucepan on the ride cymbal is pretty cool.

I kind of just "borrowed" one of his ideas a few weeks ago and used a typewriter in the verse of a song for a studio session. It was a really cool (also kind of humorous!)

Great inspiration here

Terry

hey Terry!
Ya, isn't he something? I caught the Krantz gig recently and was blown away by Cliff Almond's playing, so I youtube Krantz, and up pops Mark.

He's coming from some very crazy spaces. Have you heard Chris 'Daddy' Dave? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPYLkJYruic&feature=related

These guys are playing the kit very differently from anything I've heard in the recent past.. very refreshing.. its not the same 18 chops everyone whips out sooner or later. : )

You are right. Inspirational.

Last edited:

Hi aydee,

Yeah, Cliff is a great player. Was Anthony Jackson on the gig that you saw? if so, I'm jealous! That guy is ridiculous. He is probably my favorite bass player.

Anyway, yes, Chris Dave is great. I'm listening to Robert Glasper's "Double Booked" a lot lately. I'm thinking of doing some transcribing for an MD piece down the road. There are a lot of fires to put out before then, though!

Now it's time to practice!!

Terry

Hi aydee,

Yeah, Cliff is a great player. Was Anthony Jackson on the gig that you saw? if so, I'm jealous! That guy is ridiculous. He is probably my favorite bass player.

Yes, he was. And he was mad as hell because the promoters couldn't get his amplification sorted. And David Binney on sax. Anyhow, they all smoked the gig!

Cliff was great. Great guy too.

marks playing on the Heernt stuff is amazing. he plays just one fill on "trapped in a basement" toward the end of the song and its really ridiculous. it really is much different that most things ive hard before.

I'm a big fan. He is one of my Facebook friends. :)

Yes, I got to hear him a few times at the Zinc Bar...Ridiculous player....Are you aware of the Smalls Jazz club web site with live video feed and extensive audio archive?? Marc was on the Live video with someone recently I can't remember who..There's this Marcus Gilmore (who is Roy Haynes nephew) who I'm totally digging right now..He is one of the most tasteful/musical drummers I've ever heard and he's like 23 or 24 I think? This guy is like this fountain of musical sounds, tones, rhythms, melodies, phrases and space that's just unbelievable I think..He's on some of the audio archive stuff at Smalls..Here's the link..Enjoy, this web sites archives are invaluable...
http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/index.cfm

another great job Bernhard. All of this and only 28? wow

I had the privilege to discover him two weeks ago playing with Dhafer Youssef's quartet! He is a killer, very nice association of jazzy drum'n'bass groove, feel and speed, he should definetely play for Squarepusher :), even though I still like most of Dhafer Youssef's music!
If any of you have the opportunity to see Dhafer with his actual acoustic quartet, don't miss it, he has some blasting musicians with him!

Yup he's a killer alright. He's from Soprano-land : )

Now I too call soprano land home, but by God, there was a time when Tyshawn Sorey and Mark Giuliana were shedding in the same building. THe same god awful building that youre always sure is giving you some type of cancer from mold or asbestos, but still, I cant even imagine.

Back