DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Vinatge TAMA Superstar Restoration

I thought I would share this here for any that might be interested

I also have posted the same thread on a few other drum forums I hang out in so I apologize if this is a duplicate for you

It really just took on a life of it’s own, it has taken me 2 years of hunting to get to this point.

I know the real question is why? I never intended for it to get to this point. But before I knew it was so close I figure what the heck, I’ll go all the way now.

Here is the story,

About 2 years agoI was surfing eBay as I always do and spotted a 22x14 Superstar bass drum for $75.00. I figured at that price I would buy it and re-sell it. Later that day I spotted a 15”standard depth matching tom for $75.00 so I figured, at that price I could add another tom and have a cool vintage 4 piece kit. I found a 10” tom a few days later and contact the seller of that tom and asked if he had any more of the kit. He sent me this

I ended up making a deal so now I have basically a double basskit with power toms and one 15 standard depth.

Then I started thinking how cool it would be to have a matching set of standard toms. I would then have the option to pick and choose what I wanted to play. I found a 13” tom and grabbed it. Meanwhile I saw a 22x16 shell on eBay for next to nothing, I figured I would use the hardware off of the 22x14 and have both my kicks be deep.

Somewhere along the way I spotted the 6 &8 concert toms on a stand for $150.00

Here is where it gets really interesting. I searched high and low for a 12” standard depth tom, these are very hard to come by I would soon find. In my search I found this kit on Craigslist for 350.00.

Here is a pick after I got it home, I could not believe my eyes, it is a Rosewood snare, worth more then I paid for the entire kit!

I was short the 14" standard tom, I found one on ebay and it turned out to be a a friend from the TAMA forum so I grabbed that.
I realized at this point with the exception of a couple of bass drum hoops and some lugs I had one double bass standard depth kit and one power tom double bass kit. I found a guy selling the lugs for the bass drum and ordered a few hoops form Anderson International.

Here is a link to some close ups so you can see the main reason for the restoration

http://www.robertmdrums.com/images/t...ration/before/

Here they are again all stripped and ready for the next phase. I used a chemical stripper call SuperStrip, this stuff is high dangerous, it took a month of evenings to get them to this point. The Polyurethane paint is really tough stuff

Well I was a sanding fool this weekend, I originally tried a pneumatic orbital sander. I was far to aggressive and I was afraid I would end up with flat spots and other unevenness so I started sanding by hand. I got 5 drums in and realized this was a HUGE task. So I took a chance and picked up a cheap electric orbital sander. Wow it works great!
It still took a long time but it was 100 times faster and easier. I got then fairly clean. Of course where the stain was down in the pours I had to let it go, I did not want to sand through the first ply or change the OD to much. I am really please wit the results. Now I have to fix a few places where there is some minor ply separation on a few of the shells. I am going to dowel in the tom mount holes on the bass drums so they will then be virgin as well as dowel in the spur holes. the spurs on these kits did not really hold the drums from moving to well. Other then that and using RIMS to mount the toms it will look like two a brand new 80s TAMA superstar Super Mahogany kits

Misc. Snares
My Web Site

Last edited by rmandelbaum; 01-07-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Vinatge TAMA Superstar Restoration

OMG that is EPIC!!! That is the makings of a Nicko Mcbrain kit right there!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 AM
trkdrmr

Epic is the correct word! That is a very cool project!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Pioneer Member

Now you need to go sand Pat Morita's floors! Wow - be sure to let us know how it turns out! I remember getting a Tama catalog from 1980 and just was amazed at what they had to offer!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

ive seen that picture of the monster with blue insides so many times. its great to see some real progress. congratulations man!

what are the sizes?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Sizes

Power depth / Extras toms 10,12,13,14
Standard depth toms 12,13,14,15 (and I think I just found a 10)
floor toms 3 - 16x16, 1 - 16 x 18
concert toms , 6 & 8
Kicks 2 - 14x22, 1 - 16x22, 1 16 x 24
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Silver Member

Wow. Makes my 12 piece Cherry Wine kit look like nothing.

I have the 6 & 8 inch concert toms and a 8 double-headed tom. Did they ever make a 6 inch double headed tom?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:25 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
Wow. Makes my 12 piece Cherry Wine kit look like nothing.

I have the 6 & 8 inch concert toms and a 8 double-headed tom. Did they ever make a 6 inch double headed tom?
I looked at the tama superstar group site here:
http://groups.msn.com/TamaSuperstar/...to&PhotoID=794

And it looks for the most part that they stopped at 8", and used octabans for a 6" diameter drum. All the catalogs are there from 1978-1984 Superstar years.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

No no 6" closed but that 8" you have is worth a chunk of cash.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

I would love to see some pics of your Cherry Wine kit.

These were my Cherry Wine kits. I unfortunately no longer have them

This was my Granstar Custom in Cherry Wine

And this was my Artstar II in Cherry Wine

Misc. Snares
My Web Site

Last edited by rmandelbaum; 01-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Gold Member

Woow, that's a big project. What finish are you going to use?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

I am going to match what they looked like originally, TAMA calls it Super Mahogany.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 PM
fusssion

OK ...so just to be official....

I HATE RMANDELBAUM NOW!!! :)

WOW.....great idea to go with the "Super Mahogany" ...that's gonna look sick!!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you!

Last night I fixed the few places where there some some very minor ply separation.

Now I am waiting for the shell scraps from Anderson International to strat plugging up the tom mount holes in the bass drums.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site

Last edited by rmandelbaum; 01-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

I made some progress today. Wednesday I received some base drum shells scraps. Today I spent some time at a friends house cutting plugs to fill in the tom mount holes and original spur holes. I am planning on getting some dowle tomorrow.

I will then plug up any unused holes.

Getting closer to paint time.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-23-2008, 04:39 AM

That is an awesome project............all the hard work and money is going to make for a beutiful, one of a kind set. Very nice..............I am excited to see the stain bring out the wood grain. Are you sticking with FiberSkyn heads?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think I am with with this kit. I have a vintage Rogers Holiday kit I am going to re-wrap and set up for Jazz, I will on that kit.

For the bass drums I plan on going with the stock looking mirrored reso with the original TAMA Superstar logo. I had a very cool person on the TAMA forum give me an original style bass drum logo sticker I will reproduce.

On the back I will most likely go with Evans G2 clears with a Remo Flam Slam and a small DW style pillow.

I will go with Evans G1 clear on the reso for all of the toms. On the standard depth toms I will go with Evans G2 coated. I and still up in the air on the power toms, I am torn between going with Remo Pinstripes, these were the head of choice for power toms back in the day. Or the Evans G2 clear, a little more controlled or the G2 coated, much more focused and controlled. I think I will pick a tom and get one of each and try them, I will decide with my ears.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Well I got all of the holes parched up. I used a piece of birch drum shell I got from Anderson International to make the large plugs and used dowel for the small holes. They came out as I had hoped. I know there is no way to make it 100% invisible but I plan on covering with stain and these should blend well since they are the same type of wood.

Here is what the spur hole patches look like

And here is what the tom mount hole patches look like
Misc. Snares
My Web Site

Last edited by rmandelbaum; 01-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
Well I got all of the holes parched up. I used a piece of birch drum shell I got from Anderson International to make the large plugs and used dowel for the small holes. They came out as I had hoped. I know there is no way to make it 100% invisible but I plan on covering with stain and these should blend well since they are the same type of wood.

Here is what the spur hole patches look like

And here is what the tom mount hole patches look like
I understand plugging the holes for the toms mounts, especially if you are getting away from direct mount and going to a tom suspension mount.

What are you doing with the kick if you are covering the spur mount holes?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

The original spurs on these kits did not work well at all. they bass drums tend to walk a lot. I picked up 4 new sets of modern style spurs I am going to install.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-05-2008, 02:23 AM
trkdrmr

I thought I would address something I remember from history. (I was around then too...)

After recording some landmark albums with his Tama superstar, Peart moved to artstar (briefly), and then to Ludwig and then DW*.

Since you are restoring the superstars: What are your thoughts on the sound vs today's drums (like starclassic?)

I have always disliked industry "trends" and I think that the differences/advantages have been overstated, especially when microphones and recordings are thrown into the equation. Note that many drum companies (especially sonor) are once again offering heavy or "stadium" shells.

Superstar comments?

Thanks...!

*These seem like "money" moves to me. I remember a LOT of faithful Peart followers boiling mad when he switched.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

I played the 5 piece you see in the picture for a few months before I took it apart.

To be honest I really did not think about how it compared but just how it sounded on it's own. They are great sounding drums.

The quality of these drums is undeniable. I will have more to say when I get them done when it come to sound.

I think when we were young we were influenced by who played what. I know as I grew older and wiser I learned to let my ears be the judge.

For me this is simply a project i got excited about and decided to do. In the end I will play various combinations of drum in smaller kits.

I am sure I will use the standard depth toms with the deeper kick sizes the most.

Occasionally I do a classic rock gigs, I will use the power toms for these gigs, they will sound cool for that.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-06-2008, 02:22 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I played the 5 piece you see in the picture for a few months before I took it apart.

To be honest I really did not think about how it compared but just how it sounded on it's own. They are great sounding drums.

The quality of these drums is undeniable. I will have more to say when I get them done when it come to sound.
I will be interested to find out. I remember the hype when the industry changed the drum shell formats. And recently, the trend has been to offer "stadium" shells just as if it was a superstar kit to begin with. People have lauded the GMS stadium shells for a few years now.

I would like to think that what something like DW collectors drums added in midrange presence, they lost in projection and volume. If anything, I believe the Tama superstars will project better than DW collectors or SC.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:53 PM

WOW I wish I had the time, money and luck you had. That's awesome. I would love to see alot of picture's when it's done!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Were I doing such a project I would have to get an 18" and 20" BD even if they didn't match woods exactly. Then when you do the finishes they'd all match perfectly.

Can you go a little deeper into the stripping process? I'm thinking of stripping and refinishing a few drums myself. One is luckily naked, but I have other potentials that would need me to strip the clear.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Robert, how do they look now?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

I have not done anything to the shells yet. today I mixed a bunch of different color samples and painted them on birch to see what matches. I will most likely not paint until for another 2 or 3 weeks,
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM

I can't wait to see your finished project :)
Old 12-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vintage TAMA Superstar Restoration

As for the bass drums, I hear you. I was thinking about transforming one of the 16" to a kick since I have 3.

To address the stripping question. I used chemical stripper first then sanded. I would never do it that way again

I picked up the 10" standard tom after all of the rest were stripped. I decided to just try the sander and no stripper first. Trust me, this is the only way to go.

Use an orbital sander and 220 paper. Just keep the sander moving to you do not get any flat spots. The 10" was aqua marine so I had to sand in inside as well. The entire thing took about 20-30 min. It even came out cleaner then the rest. Just realize you can not get 100% of the stain out most of the time. You do not want to sand through the first ply.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

In my case, the ones I'm sanding down are all natural stain, most with clear. So I would guess once the sanded stuff starts looking maple instead of clear, I'm past the clear right? :)

But thanks for the tips. I know there are a few sites dedicated to drum builders and I think I'll head over to one of those after X-Mas when I have some dough for an orbital sander.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 AM

I can't wait to see the finished project. I still have my 5-piece Superstar kit in the Super Mahogany finish...just retired them about a year ago......
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a picture of the snare and the color swatches I made to pic my color from. I don't think I will get much more done until January.

Misc. Snares
My Web Site

Last edited by rmandelbaum; 01-07-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 PM
peanut23s

oow that is soo nice lots of cash going out there. nice 'little' project uve got going there you will definatly have great fun on that when its finished.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

I guess I am doing my part to help the economy
Misc. Snares
My Web Site

Last edited by rmandelbaum; 01-07-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

Another forum said it appeared that Tama stained the wood black then sanded off the surface to make the black only in the grain.

Are you going to do the same with your refinish?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

I have never heard that but I am not either way.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

got any further? looks a great project
Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Big_Philly

I can't wait to see the finished project.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

The weather has not been cooperating, I need a string of warmth

I also just got laid off after 10 years at IBM. I am going to have to wait until I find another job. I don't know how long I am going to have to make what I have last at this point.

Anybody need a Pre-Sales engineer out there?
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 AM

What a giant project you got there. I see lots of time and bucks have already been spent. I put in $300 bucks in the Ludwig restoration and there still remain several small imperfections. Too bad about the job climate, we'll all hope employment waits just around the corner for you, not only for you but for us that're excited to see the finished project. BTW, thanks for the heads up about this thread.