DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Re: My Mapex Surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...holy smokes!!!!!

that last picture looks like a scene from Mars Attacks.

Barry
hahaha

I used to have about two more cymbals than that even! Now i'm a minimalist I guess you could say. Two crashes, ride, china, hats, and a bell and i'm happy.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

While I'm not a big fan of Mapex drums, I do like the layout and the HHXs are some nice pies!
Old 04-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
...my girlfriend got me into drumming too and insists on me putting my drumset in the living room when we get married...
Your girlfriend rocks! Seriously!

I dig the new set-up, TenPastTen. I went the same way, going from a 6 piece to a 5-piece and sometimes even a 4-piece. I love changing my set-up. Nice bronze too!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 AM

wow..that's some nice set up! I like the selection on hardware!!!! it looks great!!! Evans is certainly better than Remo heads!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

Your drums look great. Specially that Black Panther snare.

I see you've put an Aquarian Hi-Energy head on the BP while you had Evans EC2's on your other snares. What is your opinion on the EC2's? Was there a big difference between the plain EC2 snare batter and the one with the reverse dot? I was wondering whether the reverse dot dampens it at all or kills any tone. And finally, how would the Evans snare heads compare with the Aquarian? I've tried the Hi-Energy before and found it a bit too dead (for my Pearl free-floating brass piccolo). I'm considering the Evans but would like some opinions first.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for your nice thoughts, fellas. This is kinda version 3.0 for the kit as far as layout and gear. Occasionally I'll swap out the HHX stage ride for the AA rock ride and the same with the 16" cymbals, but this is the way it looks about 90% of the time now. It'll NEVER be changed for the last time.

Drumalltheway - I agree on the Remo/Evans thing. I had no complaints with the Evans but switched all my heads to Aquarian for the time being. "No change is permanent...but change is."

Big Philly - you unintentionally demoted my wife to girlfriend. You're gonna have to take that up with her. You can see how impressive her good side is, what with the drums and whatnot, but her bad side is unmatched ;-).

Yamahammer - I like this set up alot, too. I would like to add a 16 floor tom and maybe move everyone over a spot and run a 12, 14, 16 setup. And the HHXs are unbelievable. I'm having so much fun with them.

Broken Glass - As you can tell, the "Mars Attack" picture shows my entire stable, but never have they all run at the same time. If I had to pare down, it would be HHX hats, 16 HHX, 18 el Sabor, HHX ride. I could certainly manage with just that...but I am addicted, so I've ended up here...

Baz - Too funny. I thought about making a face, or the Olympic rings, or the Steelers symbol but you know what? Cymbals get really hot sitting in the direct sun for 30mins so i just dropped the shenanigans and snapped. Damn 85 degree Aprils!

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."

Last edited by TenPastTen; 04-22-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Your drums look great. Specially that Black Panther snare.

I see you've put an Aquarian Hi-Energy head on the BP while you had Evans EC2's on your other snares. What is your opinion on the EC2's? Was there a big difference between the plain EC2 snare batter and the one with the reverse dot? I was wondering whether the reverse dot dampens it at all or kills any tone. And finally, how would the Evans snare heads compare with the Aquarian? I've tried the Hi-Energy before and found it a bit too dead (for my Pearl free-floating brass piccolo). I'm considering the Evans but would like some opinions first.

Thanks.
Thanks to you, too, Katman. I have no significant complaints about the Evans. I much prefer the Reverse Dot EC than the regular EC for the attack alone. Hitting that dot sounds so good. You still get great tone but it allows for a greater texture difference than a non dot head. In fact, I may be a dot man forever now.

I also changed my PDP snare head to an Aquarian Texture Coated w/ Power Dot. This is my favorite snare head so far. Even better than the Hi Energy. The reason I would go with the Aquarian is the Z 100 coating. It is spectacular. Bottom line, if you felt the Hi Energy may be too dead, then stay away. I am just test driving. But I would recommend the Aquarian texture coated power dot over the Evans reverse dot for the coating alone.

Here is a link to my Black Panther thread if you're interested.http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...690#post431690

Press here for my drums

Last edited by TenPastTen; 04-22-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
Baz - Too funny. I thought about making a face or the Olympic rings, or the Steelers symbol but you know what? Cymbals get really hot sitting in the direct sun for 30mins so i just dropped the shenanigans and snapped. Damn 85 degree Aprils!
...You won't get much sympathy from me.

It is -6 C, and there is 8 inches of fresh snow in my yard. Where is this global warming that Al Gore promised us, we are still waiting.

The good thing about this crappy weather is that I was sent home yesterday from work because the wind, snow, and temperature shut down the work site. I also did not have to come in today, so that meant a day and a half off with pay.

Free money means drum gear.

Barry
Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...You won't get much sympathy from me.

It is -6 C, and there is 8 inches of fresh snow in my yard. Where is this global warming that Al Gore promised us, we are still waiting.

The good thing about this crappy weather is that I was sent home yesterday from work because the wind, snow, and temperature shut down the work site. I also did not have to come in today, so that meant a day and a half off with pay.

Free money means drum gear.

Barry
You can't fool a fooler. You did not need any excuse to justify more drum gear. You know it and I know it ;-)

Press here for my drums
Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 AM

WOW thats massive!! those drums look really sick and although i dont like green drums on these it looks just beautiful!!! oh yeah Sabian all the way :):)

..if i had all that gear it would take me a loooot of time to ask for more xD
Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
You can't fool a fooler. You did not need any excuse to justify more drum gear. You know it and I know it ;-)
...Busted.

up here the expression is "you can't snow the snow man".

Barry
Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Big Philly - you unintentionally demoted my wife to girlfriend. You're gonna have to take that up with her. You can see how impressive her good side is, what with the drums and whatnot, but her bad side is unmatched ;-).
Haha, well I apologize but actually I was referring to Frank0072's girlfriend (at the time of writing still his gf but from what I understand it'll be his wife as of tomorrow).
However, your wife rocks as well for giving you a set like that!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
Haha, well I apologize but actually I was referring to Frank0072's girlfriend (at the time of writing still his gf but from what I understand it'll be his wife as of tomorrow).
However, your wife rocks as well for giving you a set like that!
As long as we're dishing out apologies, I owe one to you. I read your post in haste and failed to realize you had quoted Frank0072 rather than me. Forum 101...my bad. But thanks for your kind words anyhow.

Press here for my drums
Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 PM

I own a Mapex Pro-M in rock sizes and I will say this: these babies look as good as they sound! 110% value for money. thse pix make me wanna go shoot mine with a better cam now...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
As long as we're dishing out apologies, I owe one to you. I read your post in haste and failed to realize you had quoted Frank0072 rather than me. Forum 101...my bad. But thanks for your kind words anyhow.
That's alright, it happens.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

Tight setup. Looks great!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM

beautiful kit!!! Your cymbal choices are also amazing!!

How do you like those HHX stage hats? Did you compare them with groove hats by any chance?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Silver Member

Thanks. I love the HHX's. I tried the stage against the following: HHX Legacy, HHX Groove, HH Regular, Paragon, (all in 14) and it was unanimous between my drum teacher, friend at the local music shop and me. Very cool hats. I wanted to like the Legacy hats the most, but they were not as versatile as the Stage hats.

Press here for my drums
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Great kit, man, and awesome to see the evolution of it.

Question for you, though. Do you like having all that space between your drums? Have you tried tightening it all up a little bit? I mean, there's probably a two inches between your left bass pedal and your hi hat pedal, and then another gap between your two upper toms...I personally like them as tight as can be. Either way, though, that's one awesome kit.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Great kit, man, and awesome to see the evolution of it.

Question for you, though. Do you like having all that space between your drums? Have you tried tightening it all up a little bit? I mean, there's probably a two inches between your left bass pedal and your hi hat pedal, and then another gap between your two upper toms...I personally like them as tight as can be. Either way, though, that's one awesome kit.

I have been tempted to start a new thread with updates because it seemed so gratuitous to keep piling on. However, I enjoy sharing the progression, so thanks as well for your comments.

As for the set up, this was merely set up for pictures and never tweaked for playing. I have added a Tama twin pedal attachment to keep the slave pedal and hi hat nice, tight, and consistent. As for the tom spaces, I am pretty much a widebody so I keeps em wide like me. No, really I have them just far enough to keep the rims from banging together. If you look closely, you'll see there is some inconsistency in the setups from one evolutionary stage to another - just a symptom of drum models (they can be such primadonnas).

I have a new tom and will be setting up a precise set up to show my playable rig, soon. Stay tuned...

Press here for my drums
Old 08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

WOW, what a beautiful kit and the progression of it is amazing thanks so much for sharing. It is wonderful that your wife gave you such a surprise, mine kind of sneered when I told her I had just bought a kit...waited all this time in my life to finally do it and she sneers! She says she is happy for me, but...HA. I am still waiting to get my kit...one day in September I am told...HURRRRRY
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Updated gear and HUGE picture fest.

New gear:

16 x 13 floor tom and double tom holder
Aquarian Regulator Kick reso head (with custom Mapex logo:-)
Aquarian Double Kick Pad
Tama twin pedal attachment
Tama closed hi hat attachment (sorry not pictured)
Wedgie cymbal washers
Protection Racket hanging stick bag

New cymbals

Sabian
14 Radia China
10 Paragon Splash

Paiste

Twenty Series
13 Hats
18 Thin Crash
18 Crash
18 Thin China
20 Ride

Masterwork Cymbals
Jazz Master Series
14 Hats
16 Crash
17 Crash
22 Ride

I love the classy look the white reso head gives the kit. The class is accentuated by the custom 1.5" x 7" Mapex logo - I was very pleased with that result.

I have included the Masterwork in a four piece set up with the 14 x 11 tom on a snare stand. The Radia was used with my old 16 AA Crash to make a killer stack (white noise anyone?). With the stack mounted from the kick, I moved the splash between the hats and the 10" tom. I have added a Tama closed hi hat attachment with my old AAX mounted on the double tom holder between the 14 and 16 toms (perfect for me). Unfortunately I have no pics of the attachment:-(

The last pictures are additions to my family portraits of cymbals. First the Masterwork and I included pics of the bottoms because that is the only appearance of logos. The last pic is of the Paiste Twentys. And as a reward for making it to the bottom of this post, I give you a link to my original Paiste Twenty thread.http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41657

Thanks for once again endulging me and my addictions and I hope you enjoy!
Attached Images

Press here for my drums
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Nice looking kit. I'm loving those cymbals, especially the Masterwork Jazz series. and I have to ask how do you like the bumblebee sticks??
Old 09-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Nice looking kit. I'm loving those cymbals, especially the Masterwork Jazz series. and I have to ask how do you like the bumblebee sticks??
Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the note. I thought you'd like the Masterwork being as you are so very familiar with them! I think they look and sound so good in that four piece number I mentioned here:http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41657

I also wish to thank you for your inspiration on how to go about the Mapex logo. When I got the new Aquarian reso, I got a local sign shop to make a custom small size logo from a pdf file. It took 20 minutes and cost me 10 bucks for two of them. It couldn't have been simpler.

As for the "bumblebee sticks" I like them. They are too cost prohibitive to own them exclusively, but I like them. I wrote more about them here:http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...hlight=hornets

Thanks again for the compliments.

Press here for my drums

Last edited by TenPastTen; 11-03-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 AM

I'm actually considering getting the Mapex M birch in the black forest emerald fade. I've played on one of those sets before and they're just amazing to me. I think I'll throw out the 'getting a PDP" idea.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:08 PM

Woooooooow man! Wow! These are freakin' aawesoome! You got sooo many cymbals. Awesome man, just awesome.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Very Very nice man. I presume you don't play outside though. Hahahaha. I'm thinking of getting a duel tama pedal myself. I've always played single pedal and have mastered that and now I fancie learning double. Were did you get your double pedal from? I'm trying to compare prices you see.

Robertondrums
Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertondrums View Post
Very Very nice man. I presume you don't play outside though. Hahahaha. I'm thinking of getting a duel tama pedal myself. I've always played single pedal and have mastered that and now I fancie learning double. Were did you get your double pedal from? I'm trying to compare prices you see.

Robertondrums
Thanks for the nice words. Of course, I don't play outside, in fact I'm simply a hobby drummer, but the outdoors make for a good backdrop.

As for the IC twin pedal, there is a tad bit of a story. I ordered a "blemished" IC twin from Musician's Friend in July of 07. Shipping was delayed by weeks during The Big Warehouse move. When I checked on it again, the rep told me my order couldn't be completed bc the "blemished" item was no longer in stock, I politely expressed my desire to no longer conduct this transaction and he offered to ship me a "new" rather than "blemished" twin pedal for the "blemished" price of $260 USD. It all worked out. I am a long way from mastering anything, but the pieces are in place...

Press here for my drums
Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Silver Member

Holy cow, dude. I just read through this thread top to bottom.

Do you ever sell the gear that you don't use, or are you building enough stock to run a small drum shop?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:02 AM

Looks cool! I love the green.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerwood View Post
Holy cow, dude. I just read through this thread top to bottom.

Do you ever sell the gear that you don't use, or are you building enough stock to run a small drum shop?
Thanks for taking the time to read through the whole saga. It's been quite a love affair for me.

As for gear hoarding - guilty as charged. Of course there are a handfull of things for sale, and some already sold. All of it through Drummerworld...http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...?t=2601&page=2

Thanks again.

Press here for my drums
Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 AM

Hey there tenpastten, I was just looking through your showthread and noticed you listed a Tama closed hihat attachment in your equipment list. I've been thinking about picking one up and wondering about it's stability in holding heavier hats...it's the boom arm mounted one right? Does it bounce much? Also, do you get a fair amount of adjustability with the lever or is it wide open and shut tight? pm me
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

Sweet lookin M birch! I just scored a 6pc M birch in Black Forest Cherry myself. Hot kits love your set up!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numa_cruiser View Post
Hey there tenpastten, I was just looking through your showthread and noticed you listed a Tama closed hihat attachment in your equipment list. I've been thinking about picking one up and wondering about it's stability in holding heavier hats...it's the boom arm mounted one right? Does it bounce much? Also, do you get a fair amount of adjustability with the lever or is it wide open and shut tight? pm me
Just sent you a PM. But for any others who may be curious, the X hi hat mount is awesome. Rock solid and it has a stick activated clutch which allows it to be tight or loose (but not open). Good stuff.

Press here for my drums
Old 11-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

a snare that seems to have captured a solar flare...beautiful emerald drums...Twenty's... an absolutly mezmerizing drum kit and great outdoor pics!

and by the way - your wife is a saint ; )
Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainulindale View Post
a snare that seems to have captured a solar flare...beautiful emerald drums...Twenty's... an absolutly mezmerizing drum kit and great outdoor pics!

and by the way - your wife is a saint ; )
Nicely put. On all counts. I got some more pics coming with the Mapex Phosphor Bronze 10" snare and my full compliment of Twentys. Stay tuned...

Press here for my drums
Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 PM
nhzoso

Gorgeous kit bro, it looks better with the AA 21" ride though : ). I came very close to getting this exact kit but found a Saturn that I just had to have. I just ordered a set of hornets myself, they look nice but I agree even if I love them I dont think I can afford them exclusively.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Gorgeous kit bro, it looks better with the AA 21" ride though : ). I came very close to getting this exact kit but found a Saturn that I just had to have. I just ordered a set of hornets myself, they look nice but I agree even if I love them I dont think I can afford them exclusively.
Thanks so much. After about 10 months with the Hornets, I don't see myself getting any more. Especially after my new love affair with Vater 7A Manhattans.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of Mitch Hedberg, too. I love his bits about escalators and turtlenecks. Hilarious.

Press here for my drums
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM

Hey...

which setup do u most commonly use? and cymbals?

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive
Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calummordue View Post
Hey...

which setup do u most commonly use? and cymbals?
Sorry for the delayed response. As a victim of the Great Drummerworld Update of 09, my pics are gone from my thread. But to answer your question this has been my setup for the last few months and probably for a long time in the future:

Drums:
Mapex M Birch in Black Forest Green lacquer finish

22 x 18
10 x 8
12 x 9
14 x 11
16 x 13

Black Panther Thick Flamed Maple snare

14 x 6

Mapex Precious Metal Phosphor Bronze snare

10 x 5.5

Cymbals
Paiste Twenty Series

13 Hats
18 Crash
16 Thin Crash
10 Splash
18 Thin Crash
20 Ride
18 Thin China

I have Paiste Twenty 14 Light Hats and Twenty 8 Splash arriving soon and will post updated pics shortly thereafter.

Press here for my drums