DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-14-2007, 11:22 PM

Default New Old Ludwigs

UPDATE on post 34
My 1964 Ludwigs came last friday so after setup and tuning here they are.

Last edited by Porker69; 10-18-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Old Ludwigs

Very nice Ludwigs, really look good.

Edit: Here we go, some pics finally.

Wow those are nice, I am extremely jealous. I always wanted a 60's Ludwig, great sounding drums.

Last edited by Michael G; 05-14-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

Sick kit, Champagne finish is great love it! I can't wait till I can afford my own vintage ludwig kit
Old 05-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Pioneer Member

wow... i'm breathless. who doesn't like a beautiful vintage luddie... or gretsch... or slingerland :). i'm totally jealous, especially that i won a supraphonic on ebay, about three months ago, and it's still on the way from Alberta... dammit!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 PM

Thanks, it's always been my dream to get vintage Luddies and these were cheap, so I pounced. They sound sooo very good.

And now it's time to buy cymbals. 24" Bosphorous New Orleans Ride here I come. hee hee
Old 05-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

Isn't it illegal to have a slingerland snare drum on a ludwig kit?!?! =) That looks to be in incredible shape, nice find!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 AM

Nah crazyhorse I've got a permit so everything is Ok.

Thats a 1975 Slingerland, I dont know the model but it is under the Radio King, and the other snare is a 1976 Crown budget model. Neither are top of the line but they sound better than anyother snares I've played.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

Nice!

She's a late 60's model judging by the badge and serial... one snare I'll never let go even if my new stave built stuff is amazing. I was actually using this as my primary snare for a while and now that I've got a new workhorse I'm going to tear her down and polish her up a bit.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 AM

That is one sweet snare crazyhorse.

I dont know if you can tell but on my slingy the throw off and but plate come down and flange away from the drum so you can get longer strainers on and I think make it sound so good.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:12 AM
Jusstickinaround

OOOOHHHH, what a lucky man you are!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 AM

Thanks Jusstickinaround but they sound much better than they look. You got some nice Luddies yourself, gotta love the WMP wrap.

My drum teacher was at my house for my weekly lesson and was admiring my ludwigs condishion and sound, and he has a 1950's Gretsch.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 PM

could you post up the specs? Im keen to know the sizes on the Giant Beat and the Bass Drum.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

YES, I am getting a set similar to one of these babies in MINT. I can't wait.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

I like the one up grade of a ball joint tom holder. I used to have a champagne sparkle kit..... I miss it.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:05 PM
fusssion

I hate to be a party pooper.....and I love your kit Porker, but...

One of two things happened here:
1) That is NOT a 1964 bass drum because the hardware (tom holder) is the diamond shaped base. 1964 had the rail/consolette style tom holders

2) That IS a 1964 bass drum, but ....the hardware was modified to a 70's (or late late 60's) mount. If so,...it was covered up somehow, there should be extra holes somewhere to properly identify this.

3) NOT being a jerk.....I'm trying to help so you know exactly what you have. Please inquire with "Ludwigvondrumcrazy" if you need more...he is LUDWIG GOD on DW !! :)
Old 05-23-2007, 04:04 PM

fusssion, I dont think your being a jerk, hell your probably right. I never checked the serial #s and the stamp is cleaned off the bass. On the toms the stamp is JAN 9, 1964 or some where around that date, so I just assumed. But I checked and you are right the bass's serial # is in the 1965 era.

and for pix, Specs:
22x14"
14x14"
8x12"

20" Giant Beat Multi
18" Sabian B8 Medium Crash
16" Paiste Alpha Prototype crash
14" Paiste Alpha Prototype hats

and I've got some other old ZBTs and a 21" Alpha Groove Ride floating around
Old 05-23-2007, 06:27 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porker69 View Post
fusssion, I dont think your being a jerk, hell your probably right. I never checked the serial #s and the stamp is cleaned off the bass. On the toms the stamp is JAN 9, 1964 or some where around that date, so I just assumed. But I checked and you are right the bass's serial # is in the 1965 era.

and for pix, Specs:
22x14"
14x14"
8x12"
Nope....still.....that tom holder bass mount didn't appear till 1968 or 1969
Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 PM

I dont know what to think then. This is the serial # 289617 on the badge, and on the how to date Ludwigs website it says that #233838 was in October 1965 and #308963 was in March 1966.

Maybe the badges got switched? maybe you could special order a double tom mount? maybe ludwigvondrumcrazy can help us with this?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:04 PM
fusssion

Quote:
I dont know what to think then. This is the serial # 289617 on the badge, and on the how to date Ludwigs website it says that #233838 was in October 1965 and #308963 was in March 1966.

Maybe the badges got switched? maybe you could special order a double tom mount? maybe ludwigvondrumcrazy can help us with this?
MESSAGE HIM...he's very helpful!!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I think that it is a '64 bass drum...look at the spurs. This drum could've been a "leftover" and either modified by Ludwig or whoever owned it first. Check and see if there's extra holes where the console rail would've been. Or it could've been a "virgin" bass drum too, and then modified.

The reason I'm thinking that it may be a "leftover" stock bass drum and then used to piece this kit together is because my friend has a late 60's/early 70's red sparkle Ludwig kit in which the bass drum & toms have the blue/olive badges, and his floor tom and matching snare has the keystone badges.

But Ludwigvondrumcrazy is the man to get the real info from.

birch
Old 05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Nice!

She's a late 60's model judging by the badge and serial... one snare I'll never let go even if my new stave built stuff is amazing. I was actually using this as my primary snare for a while and now that I've got a new workhorse I'm going to tear her down and polish her up a bit.
Well, while we're posting pics of our Black Pearl Slingerland snares, I'll throw mine out there:

Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 AM

Absolutely beautiful!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Fusssion- I messaged LVDC yesterday so this can be put to rest soon :)

cjl- that actually sound the most plausable story, I new Ludwig did some weird things at the factory.

somedrummer- what year is that? it looks late 40's-mid 50's and I love the double flange hoops and looks to be in excellent condishion.

why thank yee King Crimson. :)

and finally an update on the kit. Got myself a deal on ebay for a 20" Bosphorous Trad ride to add to the 24" New Orleans that is coming too. All I need after that is 15" Masters Hi Hats and a Pang Thang to sate my cymbal cravings
Old 05-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

That snare of mine was sold to me as "Late 50's", so not sure exactly what year. I want to just tell people '58 so it can be from the same year as the rest of the set.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Fusssion- I messaged LVDC yesterday so this can be put to rest soon :)
I'm not so sure about this one, but it's hard to tell anything from those photos..........

First off, as was already mentioned, the Tom Post is the latest generation so most definitely didn't come with that Kit. The Bass Tom Post Mount may have, but not with that black plastic knob, since Ludwig offered a Double Tom Kit with that type of Mount since the early 1960's.

Here is a shot of the Hollywood from a mid-1960's Catalog......

The early versions of this Mount, which they used for a number of years, had the Tom Post held in with a "hardware store" type hex head bolt before Ludwig switched to the black plastic T-handle knob, which anyone could have swapped out (the bolt) at a later date "upgrading" to the more user friendly T-handle..............

One question, does the inside of the Bass Drum have a paint type smell or a "musty" odor, which is easy to determine by putting your nose over the vent hole and tapping on one of the heads to shove a little air out. People who know old Ludwigs know the smell I'm talking about. Without going into detail, I know of at least two guy's who take Vintage Ludwigs and do all sorts of things to them, repainting the interiors AND stamping "new dates" as well as mixing & matching hardware and installing Badges that came off other Drums just to make it useable for resale. Many tired old Marching Toms & Snares live on supplying hardware & badges to "Vintage" Outfits. Don't get me wrong, this is not necessarily a bad thing, the bad thing is that when these Kit's are listed on eBay, or are sold locally, they usually say things like "all original" when describing these "Vintage" Kit's, even on Outfit's having Drums that have been recovered. It's one thing to fix up a Kit but another thing entirely to mis-lead someone, which probably creates years of confusion for the buyer.........................

I'm not saying that this is the case with Porker's Outfit, just giving you some idea that things may not be as they appear, or that Ludwig may not be responsible for all the little anomalies that you may come across. When I come across a Kit that defies all logic I always fall back on "It is what it is" with the main thing being, does it sound good??

The sizes Porker mentioned wasn't a standard Ludwig offering but that means nothing. A friend owns a Shop that his Dad started back in 1960 (they have been Ludwig Dealers since day one) and I know for a fact that if someone walks in the door and wants a certain set-up that is possible to come up with using the components from Kits on the "floor" that it will happen. When the customer leaves a phone call is usually made to the Company to get whatever is needed to make things right again, and, who knows, this may happen more than once to a certain Outfit if it hangs around the shop for any length of time. If the components weren't handy then a call would be made to see how long it would take to get the customer what they wanted, which could have been any combination. Please keep these things in mind when looking at dates & serial numbers and how they fit together on a specific Outfit. Also keep in mind that Ludwig would stamp Badges in batchs and put them in a box to use as needed, which doesn't even take into consideration how the Drums were manufactured and stored until a Kit was pieced together..............................

The only reason I mention all these things is so you see that no matter how hard you may try to figure some things out it can be very hard to draw any firm conclusions if you take all the factors under consideration that would have a bearing on what you are trying to figure out.
One thing is for sure though, and that is, "It is what it is".......................

LVDC
Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Porker, for what it's worth, here are a couple of major contenders that your Kit may have originated from, if not a special order...................

First, since it has the double Tom Mount on the Bass, as well as a 22", is the Hollywood, shown below in the 1963-64 Catalog when this Outfit had twin 8 x 12 Toms. The shot in my previous post shows it in the "next Catalog," 1966-67, after they made the switch to an 8 x 12, 9 x 13 set-up....................

Because it has the correct size Toms, here's the Downbeat as shown in the 1963-64 Catalog................

LVDC

Last edited by ludwigvondrumcrazy; 05-26-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:57 PM

Here's another image for ya Porker, from the 1973 Slingerland Catalog.............

LVDC
Old 05-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Wow, thank you LVDC you certainly know your stuff.

I took a wiff of the bass drum and it definately has the Ludwig must and doesnt smell like paint. They smell just like my uncle's Ludwigs which he bought new in 1967.

I'm going to draw my own conclusion here from the catalogs and say that the toms are from a 1964 Downbeat outfit because the serial #s are only 1000 #s away from eachother and the bass drum is from a 1966 Hollywood outfit with upgraded tom holder and possibly original bass drum tom mount.

The Slingerland is slightly different that those but now I know that it most likely the hollywood ace model
Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I'm going to draw my own conclusion here from the catalogs and say that the toms are from a 1964 Downbeat outfit because the serial #s are only 1000 #s away from each other and the bass drum is from a 1966 Hollywood outfit with upgraded tom holder and possibly original bass drum tom mount.
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Your guess would be as good as mine Porker and that's all it can be, at this point, a guess based on facts as we know them and not what may or not have happened back in 1964, or since that time...................

From your photo's it looks like your Snare may be a ten-lugger but I couldn't make out the Strainer so the Hollywood Ace was about as close as I could get even though it only has eight lugs. I know of another "contender" that I will hunt up and post a picture of, but it has a different Strainer......................

Oh, you're more than welcome!

LVDC
Old 05-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Here's a ten lug model with their TDR Strainer from the 1977-78 Catalog..................

LVDC
Old 05-26-2007, 10:17 PM

Holy Crap! thats my exact snare drum, I'll put up some pics of the snare strainer later to verify. I knew this was a cool snare but I had no idea.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 PM
fusssion

DID I TELL YOU TO MESSAGE THAT GUY ?!?!? LOL ......
Old 05-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Ha ha, fusssion, but thats what you get from a guy named LudwigVonDrumCrazy he should probably just legally change his name.

here is the snare/snare strainer
http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf0003fl6.jpg
http://img108.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf0001iz1.jpg
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 AM

Updated! I finally got everything in. First pic is the 24" New Orleans Ride.
Full Specs on request

Old 10-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

very nice stuff bro. Congrats :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Hows that 24" New Orleans?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 AM

It's really smoky and dark sounding with a little hint of trashiness, and it's really easy to control, but it is also pretty thin so it crashes well. Basically my perfect cymbal.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:36 AM
fourstringdrums

Bosphooooorus *homer simpson drool*

Very nice! That 24" NO must be amazing! I had a 21". It was a great cymbal, just not what I was looking for.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's really smoky and dark sounding with a little hint of trashiness, and it's really easy to control, but it is also pretty thin so it crashes well. Basically my perfect cymbal.
Sounds good, I may just have to try one out. Although, I doubt any of the stores will have one in stock. Maybe a 22"....
Old 10-18-2007, 06:30 AM

Yeah Ozzy Biz I wouldn't expect to see one anywhere since it was a custom order and took about 4 months.
But a 22" shouldnt be far off, a little higher in pitch