DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
Nuzki Nuzki is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15
Default Drumsticks for stick control

Ive used 7As for quite a while now but seems that Im still having abit of issues with stick control at the moment so I am planning on getting those 5A or 5Bs Ahead Polyurethane drumsticks

Do you guys think its a wise choice?

On a side note, I heard that heavier sticks gives you more control; is this true?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
Matt Bo Eder's Avatar
Matt Bo Eder Matt Bo Eder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 109
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzki View Post
Ive used 7As for quite a while now but seems that Im still having abit of issues with stick control at the moment so I am planning on getting those 5A or 5Bs Ahead Polyurethane drumsticks

Do you guys think its a wise choice?

On a side note, I heard that heavier sticks gives you more control; is this true?
Well, look at using larger sticks the same as you would as a youngster learning how to write. Remember they didn't give you the slim pencils as a kids? They gave you the fatter ones because it's easier to handle as you learning how to write. Same thing with drumsticks - when I learned, and when I started teaching, I got my beginners off with a pair of 2B sticks. Maybe 5B's...but 2B's is a really good place to start for technique stuff.

And as I got older with better technique, I'd start using thinner sticks. I did at one time play 7A's almost exclusively too, but found I needed more weight for rock 'n' roll, so now I play 5A's, and flip them around when I need the extra weight.
__________________
YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/boeder101
Photoblog: mattederblog.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
Nuzki Nuzki is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Well, look at using larger sticks the same as you would as a youngster learning how to write. Remember they didn't give you the slim pencils as a kids? They gave you the fatter ones because it's easier to handle as you learning how to write. Same thing with drumsticks - when I learned, and when I started teaching, I got my beginners off with a pair of 2B sticks. Maybe 5B's...but 2B's is a really good place to start for technique stuff.

And as I got older with better technique, I'd start using thinner sticks. I did at one time play 7A's almost exclusively too, but found I needed more weight for rock 'n' roll, so now I play 5A's, and flip them around when I need the extra weight.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/2402/Dr..._Nylon_Tip.htm

Something like that?

By the way, thats exactly the store on where Im buying and I dont think they have 2Bs hanging around much
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,182
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

I'm not understanding how larger heavier sticks give you more control.
What kind of control?

What about hand size?
What if you have smaller hands?
What if you have larger hands?

.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Matt Bo Eder's Avatar
Matt Bo Eder Matt Bo Eder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Disneyland, CA
Posts: 109
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzki View Post
https://www.long-mcquade.com/2402/Dr..._Nylon_Tip.htm

Something like that?

By the way, thats exactly the store on where Im buying and I dont think they have 2Bs hanging around much
Those would work.

And Jim, obviously, if your hands are extremely small or extremely large, you'll want to find a stick that's comfortable. Sometimes big hands and thin sticks don't work because it's all about training your muscles at this point. And as in my pencil analogy, you're training your muscles to be able to manipulate the stick without having to over-grip because it's too thin to comfortably hold.
__________________
YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/boeder101
Photoblog: mattederblog.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

The hand controls the stick, not the other way round.

Now there'll be personal preferences......there always is. Nothing wrong with embracing them and using whatever you feel most comfortable with.

But the mindset that the gear has more relevance than the guy using it, is nothing more than putting the cart before the horse. It's little more than a road to self imposed limitations. Never an ideal path to travel IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
SolubleSound SolubleSound is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 12
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

If you can still find some VF Tomas Haake sticks, I loved those things for Stick Control & snare solo stuff.
A 2B stick will be very similar. The Los Cabos 2B is a favorite of mine.

I know Jojo Mayer and Tony Royster Jr have recommended practicing pad stuff with marching or metal sticks. It's definitely helped me out. My dynamic control has improved a lot thanks to playing through snare solos on the pad with huge sticks.

I wasn't a fan of the Ahead sticks when I tried them, but you should give them a whack and see for yourself!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
cornelius cornelius is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

Experiment with sticks that fit in your hand well and work for the type of music youíre playing. Youíll feel more control if the sticks feel good in your hands.

On the pad I use Vic Firth "Domís Pad StickĒ - itís designed specifically for practice pads. It is a big stick, but itís not nearly as heavy as marching sticks - I found transitioning back to normal sticks easier with the Pad Stick... Just another option...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Today, 12:06 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 955
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

Bo, while you have a shed load more drumming experience than I do, I'm going to disagree with your skinny pencils analogy. When a kid is learning to write, they are learning the very fine, precise motor control necessary to control the pint of the pencil in small movements when the distance between the grip and the point magnifies the effect of their inputs. Thicker pencils make it easier to control the movement of the point of the pencil. Drumming motions are completely different.

And as pfog says, it's about the hand learning to control what the stick is doing. Why then would you work on stick control with anything but the same sticks that you use for playing?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Today, 01:32 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,519
Default Re: Drumsticks for stick control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I'm not understanding how larger heavier sticks give you more control.
What kind of control?

What about hand size?
What if you have smaller hands?
What if you have larger hands?

.
you will definitely get more response from any given surface with a 5B or SD1 than a 7A

and I find the more a stick responds .... off a cymbal ... head... pad... whatever... the easier it is to control and manipulate to do as you wish

that is why I always have younger students start with heavier sticks so they learn how to control the response
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com