DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 05-18-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

It's something i can explain to this day...one day i went into my garage and decided to set-up my dad's old kit, we'll i tryed to set it up! lol (it's not easy when you haven't got a clue)
At first i was disintrested, but something keept drawing me to them, it wasn't until i went to a local drumming festival till i was truley inspired but after that i knew what i wanted to do in life more than anything, no matter if i was a bum playing for change or a
pro drummer touring the world - i just wanted to play.
Thats my story
but
As for the question 'what made you want to play drums more than anything' i would reply.

.....drums....!

Oaks, Out.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:04 AM

Default Re: The "how" thread

Music- Led Zepellin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Journey, Incubus, Meshuggah
Drummer- I'd say Steve Gadd more than anyone
Person- My uncles and my grandfather are all great musicians and they were the ones who really motivated me to keep with it.
Style- Funk, Rock, Jazz, Progressive, Metal, Blues
Inspirations- Drummers who aren't very well known who should be i.e. Chris Pennie (Dillinger Escape Plan) and Zach Hill (Hella, Team Sleep)
Old 05-24-2006, 07:11 AM

I've been around musicians my entire life so i had plenty to choose from. I was just drawn to the drums. I don't have an explanation for it. It's just what i felt was right for me. After that, drummers such as Bonham, Gadd, and Carter Beauford just drove me to keep progressing with it.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:33 AM

1.Music: I was insanely inspired by mid-1960s hard-rock and British Invasion material. Groups like the Beatles,Yardbirds,Cream,Jimi Hendrix Experience,Rolling Stones,early Deep Purple with Rod Evans as vocalist were then and still are big influences on me.
2.Drummer:When I first heard Ginger Baker play Toad and Mitch Mitchell play the entire first Jimi Hendrix LP,I figured that the drums was the instrument for me. Also,I'd like to mention being inspired by seeing Dino Danelli with the Rascals on TV,twirling his sticks and looking like he was having the time of his life along with appearances of Carmine Appice with Vanilla Fudge,also playing his heart out...awe inspiring still...
3.Person: No particular person.
4.Style: Progressive Rock because it covers just about everything.
5.Inspirations:Ringo,Ringo,Ringo...
Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 AM

Music-Rush. I allways wanted to play drums my whole life, but Rush is the band that really made me pursue.
Drummer- Neil Peart. I also gotta give credit to lordmarco, one of the members on this board for inspiring me to get back on my kit.
Style- Just about everything

PS- I don't listen to Rush anymore and Peart is no longer at the top of my favorite drummers list.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:35 AM

i stared on the piano when i was little, but after watching the high school jazz band and drumline when i was in elementary school, i knew it was what i had to do. Now that im in high school and im livin that dream i now have much bigger dreams of being a professional drummer, and i got a ways to go with that one.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 AM

Guns and roses hahaahaha!!! I saw the you could be mine vid and it changed my life.....
Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Pioneer Member

I had always tapped things out in my head. I also had the idea that drums were going to be easy until I sat down behind a kit. Man, thats what I loved. So many ideas were going through my head.

What can I say, I like a challenge?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:40 PM

Music-The band that i recall that got me into drumming was oddly Red Hot Chilly Peppers and Limp Bizkit . maybe there were some other bands but i dont remember them now
Drummer-I think it was John Otto !
Person-My dad was working in a live music club so he was micking drums and while he was doing that he would put me on the drums .
Style-I play metal - Rock stuff although i would like to be able to play everything.
Inspirations-Although I listen to really specific bands like Children of bodom , Metallica , Iron Maiden only John Otto (Limp Bizkit) has influenced me , even though just a bit .
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 AM

I was born into the first family of music, the Carter Family. I guess what made me decide on drums first was my Dad's Sister's Husband on the Meazell side, Uncle Robert (Bob) Taylor was a big band drummer. He was with Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller and that crowd. On the other hand there was Lucky Larue Hendley, and Maw And Paw Carter and their children and grandchildren, my cousins, who were into country music. Then at 3 years old, about the time I started playing drums, a traveling music show forever changed my life. Back then it was not a concert it was a Show. A young kid and his band came to town to put on a show and everyone wanted to go see him. My Dad, Mom and Aunt Billie took me. I was so impressed that after the show I wanted to meet him. They took me to the dressing room door and the security let me in, after all I was only 3. He was very cordial and set me on his knee and visited and talked to me for over an hour. That night I came to call this kid friend. We parted and went separate ways. We wouldn't see each other again for almost 30 years. Yes that night I called this nice young man friend, the world would come to call him Elvis. So there were several elements that came into play that made me become a drummer. It was exposure to all types of music from all directions that would make my musical taste diverse. I did not choose to become a drummer, it choose me! I would go on to play guitar and write over 300 songs to date and run up and down the hiways with Alabama, and call Willie Nelson, Jan Michel Vincent and many other Stars and playmates friend. But I eventually went back to my roots and became a Hard Rock/ Southern Rock,/ Country and Blues drummer again. My Parents and Uncle Bob and Aunt Joy hung out togather every weekend for my entire childhood. I used to spend every weekend at thier house praticing on uncle Bob's drums. He was my first teacher, along with Gene Kupa, and Sandy Nelson. I learned a lot from those guys. They were all showmen and Gene Kupa was the worlds first real Super Star Drummer as well as a showman.
Danny Meazell
Old 06-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Nothing really, I picked up the sticks one day when my Dad bought his kit (he hadn't played in years and finally decided to get one again) and one day I realised "Hey, I'm a drummer!!!"
Old 06-29-2006, 10:17 AM

what made me want to play drums is when i realized that i had the power to change someones life for the better--i was playing in the band in elementary and people would flip off of these little quarter note/sixteenth note solos--but what made it more real was when was at church and a lady approached me after the service= she said "u know austin u really played those drums right, keep doing that." the place was bannanas and i know i had a hand in the outbursts--after that day which was like 6 months ago i knew i wanted to become the most emotional drummer period...... skills come with that which io am workig on right now--
Old 07-10-2006, 08:58 AM

I was never really inspired any way to play drums. I just sort of decided one day I'd start and take a few lessons (drum set that is, I had been playing percussion in band before this, but was never really into it).

Music- Before I started drumming, I wasn't huge on music. I listened to Godsmack, Disturbed, and Everclear. When I started drumming, music began to seem different to me. I started playing jazz stuff with the school, and began listening to a lot of prog.

Drummer- There's no drummer that inspired me to play drums, but for the first year or two of drumming I always saw Mike Portnoy as some god of drumming...

Person- I believe it was my band director that asked if I ever thought of playing set (since the previous jazz band drummers were moving up to high school). I figured why not, I'll give it a try. So I guess him, and of course my drum teacher. My parents weren't against it either.

Style- I started out playing some jazz, lattin, and rock. Then I moved to some prog style playing, and eventually lead to metal and death metal. I love to play pretty much everything though. Lately, I've been really into playing a somewhat funk style.

Inspirations- My middle school band director always pushed me, and my teacher taught me well and has a great personality and outlook on life.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:40 AM

I would say for me it was Bonham. When I was a kid way back in the 70's I remember listening to my brother's Led Zeppelin records and I was drawn to the big boomy sound of his drums. The tracks that did it for me were "When The Levee Breaks" and "Rock'n Roll". When I heard the intro to "Levee" and the solo at the end of "Rock'n Roll" I knew right then and there that I wanted to be a drummer. Not long after that I got my first kit, and tried to play along with those Led Zep records. After a short period of time I was playing along with a few songs and I took off from there. Thirty one years later I am still going strong and most importantly still learning and progressing. To this day I still play along with Led Zep and other music that has inspired me over the years. But the big event in my drumming years was seeing Buddy Rich in person when I was about 13 years old. That night changed my life. I have never seen anything like that before and probably never will.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:24 PM

jimmy chamberlin back during the siamese dream days.

plus bryan st. pere from hum, just totally inspired me to drive me to rock like that.

heath from mock orange
drummer from shiner

those are the kind of guys that inspire me.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:10 PM

well, i come from a really musical family, my father plays the piano/organ, as well as guitar and back in the day he used to mess around on his fathers drums. his father played drums, piano, trumpet and some guitar as well, while my moms dad was exactly the same, but with the sax. was a pity they never really got to meet, as my paternal grandfather died a year before the wedding, two years after i was born.

anyways, i've always been around music, my dad was the president of a football club and most nights when i was little i would fall asleep literally right next to the speakers in the bar. when i was just about to enter high school, i decided i wanted to get in to music, and it was when my dad said that "any drunk in a bar thinks he's a lead guitarist" coupled with the fact that i was constantly tapping out beats on my lunch box when they played during break or whenever, that i decided that i was going to be a drummer. not for fame, but purely so i could ligitimaly sit in with my friends and play an instrument. i knew from the first instant that i sat down behind a kit in my teachers studio that this was for me. now, after the relatively short time of three years behind a kit, i can honestly say that i still feel that same rush i got from when i first sat on a throne. drumming has become who i am almost, and i want to become good enough to play professionally so that people will hear my passion for music, and hopefully become passionate about it too.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:09 AM

Location: Russia (Thats why my language and especially grammar is not well enough. Don't judge me!)

Music- When I have heard Metallica for the first time I was shocked - cooool! I want to do the same things! So, I was a rock musician at the begining.
Drummer- Of course, my first idol was Lars Ulrich. Then I was very impressed of Vinnie Paul playing, then I was a fan of David Silveria, Joey Jordisson... But I also love Billy Cobham's playing, he got me into jazz.
Person- My drums tacher, Alex Sevriukov (Thank you for everything)
Style- I still loving rock, but I also love to play slow blues, light jazz. Not long time ago I discovered to myself a new styles - drum&bass, industrial, acid jazz
Inspirations- I dont know, but I cant imagine myself without playing drums
Old 07-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Music- Mostly Rock...I started playing because of Linkin Park, after hearing Faint i thought...wow
Drummer- Rob Bourdon (Though I lost my interest in him, my favorite drummers now are Thomas Lang, Steve Gadd, Tre Cool)
Person- No one
Style- Mostly Rock...used to play alot of Punk- Pop Rock, now I'm more into Alternative Rock and Jazz
Inspirations- Tony Royster Junior...after watching that video when he was twelve I thought...well I'm twelve why shouldnt I be able to do that? Oh yeah Thomas Lang too
Old 07-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Music:
Drawn On Empty Faces, Dream Theater, Incubus, Iron Maiden, Queen, Metallica, Megadeth,Slipknot...Yeah i could go on forever.

Drummer:
Mike Portnoy

Person:
My Friend Jake, My Brother.

Style:
Mainly Rock stuff. but will gice anything an attempt.

Inspirations:
All Drummers that i meet or listen to really.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 AM

Well, I've always picked out the drums when listening to songs, rather than listening to the song as a whole. When I was about 14, my school friends and I decided we would start a band, because that way we'd get to meet all the famous band members we had crushes on lol. One friend could sing pretty good, so she was nominated as singer, another friend played keyboard so she was keyboardist (this was the 80's, EVERY band had a keyboardist lol), so my other friend and I were left and I said I'd be the drummer. The band never eventuated (except in our heads lol, and we did write a couple of songs ha ha). I was never allowed to play drums back then, though. So as time went by I gave up on that dream somewhat, but knew in my heart one day I'd learn. Well, 20 years down the track, and I'm finally doing that. I guess the 20 year wait made me even more determined to learn, and to do it well.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 PM

http://www.drumschool.net

Truly the fear of ending up in prison, I was a bad kid & needed to take my aggresions out on something & drums was the key to my future existance today
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM

I was always into drums when I was real young. My father was a bass player in a band. I remember watching the drummer play. My father played in a well known band. When I was in school I played in the perc section. I was very hyperactive and would tap on everything. I joined the army and never have been able to play the drums but I would always tap my feet like I was playing a set. I chose to get out the army and start a band. John Dollyman " system of a down" was what made me want to start a band and play drums. I got some formal training by a really well known metal drummer and I was set free. I have been playing a set for about 2 years. I have worked hard to get where I am and I still have lots to learn. But I have a lot to teach also.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy
I really just got bored with the Alto Saxophone, and listened to too much Van Halen. Sooo..I wanted to drum.

Lol same here! I played the alto sax in 5th and 6th grade, then switched to drums after hearing "Hot For Teacher"
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 AM

Music- Most of the old classic rock bands- Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Boston, etc.
Drummer- John Bonham
Person- No one
Style- Rock, Classic Rock, some Metal
Inspirations- John Bonham, Peter Criss, Steve Gadd, Neil Peart, ...

Last edited by Alphonse; 12-10-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:59 AM

i didn't choise my instrument, it choised me
Old 08-09-2006, 02:11 AM

That's an easy one for me to answer. I started playing bass when I was 12, and always looked over at the drummer and thought, "man that's cool, I want to be able to do that;" unfortunately, though my parents put up with the bass droning on in the basement for years, drums were right out.

I was always fascinated with the speed and the fluidity drummers exhibited, which is in direct contrast to the percussive nature of the instrument. I also liked the huge range of sounds one could get from a drum kit.

I think drums, more than any other musical instrument, have the ability to make people want to move rhythmically, and get their heads bobbing; drums really can be hypnotic. Those are the things that drew me to drumming.

A soon as I had my own place and enough time and money, I bought drums, and though I still play the bass regularly, my main instrument is the one I always wanted to play, drums.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpuhelvetti
i didn't choise my instrument, it choised me

ha good answer... i cant really remember why i choose drums.. my uncle played drums in a band so that started me thinkin, and i liked bangin on things, and its the coolest instrument by far..
Old 08-14-2006, 02:54 AM

I played trumpet in Jr. High and a little in high school. I quit playing in my sophomore year due to the redundancy of the "rehearsals": Tune up, practice a few scales, get yelled at by the band director... repeat the following day. About this time is when MTV first came on the air, and I was intrigued by watching Phil Collins in the old Genesis videos (that's right, kiddies, MTV used to play videos of real musicians playing real instruments!) I loved the punchy sound of his kit and his unique style, although it was hard to figure out what he was doing since he plays as a lefty. Bought the ABACAB album, wore it out... bought some old Genesis albums, wore them out as well ( "3 Sides Live" belongs in EVERY drummer's library). Bought my first kit, got lessons; got a better kit, got lessons from a better teacher, made a meager living playing for a country/rock band for a few years... Kinda drifted away from drumming for several reasons, and just got back into it again about 8 months ago and loving every second of it!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:51 PM

My dad . He's been playing drums for ever and I became a roady in his band early on and loved to see him play and play myself. And we where always listening to music with awsome drummers like: Toto, Steely dan, yellow jackets and so on. But the weird thing is that I didnt really start to play drums for real until I was 15... But once I got the basics I could play almost every Toto groove by heart. So I guess it was ment to be:P
Old 08-18-2006, 03:31 AM

One memory I have of just before I started drumming is driving to hockey at 6:00 am with my father and listening to How You Remind Me by Nickelback, trying to nail the snare fill every time. That's probably the biggest memory I have of just before I got into drumming...

-DM
Old 08-25-2006, 09:38 AM
apocalypse

Probably just hearing the way they sounded when I beat them to hell lol. I lived near the church I used to go to and would go there all the time and just play them..terribly I might add but played them none the less. Fun stuff man...fun stuff.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:37 PM

That drum fill in "Alone" by Heart.

Sad but true.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:59 PM

well.....nothing, in the 7th grade, they had jazz, i was is jazz two, i never knew how to play drum set, and i already had to play at a compettioin (is that how you spell it?)...well, any who, i had to play, sucked but eh...i don't know what inspired me... i guess me....i love to drum, and i will never stop until the day i die...yesh...^_^
Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 AM

My father played drums and I always liked sitting on the kit banging. In fourth grade I joined the school band and since then I've been a drummer. Going on 12 years now. I love drumming.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 AM

Music- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Lamb of God, Opeth, Los Lobos
Drummer- Chad Smith, Terry Bozzio, Chris Adler, Mike Portnoy, Jeff Queen
Person- My father, Mr. Pepe (grade school music teacher), Dan (highschool drumline instructor), Kenny (highschool snare tech), any professional drummer I meet
Style- Rock/Funk, Funk, Rock, Punk, Metal
Inspirations- All the people, bands, and drummers I mentioned
Old 09-12-2006, 04:58 AM
DrummerMom

Music- I got into drumming from my mother she is a percussionist.
Drummer- Definitely my mother, Buddy Rich.
Person- Definitely my mother, Buddy Rich.
Style- Rock,Jazz,blues,swing
Inspirations- Mom, Buddy Rich, Bonham, Porcaro, Mike portnoy, Neil Peart and many others
Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

I saw Stewart Copeland with The Police on the Ghost In The Machine tour and that was it...I wanted to be a drummer. I could not stop watching him.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:30 AM

my friends in 5th-6th grade started up and got pretty good, and i felt out of the boat. so i 'tried it' off and on until i was about 17....then i got serious about it. it wasn't just that though, i've always been into a good rythmn and once i started listening to metal and punk, it opened an entire new world to me.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 PM

My name is Josh and i'm raised in Louisiana (born in Kentucky).

Music- I have to say that I basically love all kinds of music, but i love to rock out most of the time.
Drummer- Can't say that i had a particular person that got me started. But if I could pick a role model, it would have to be Johnny Aldrich.
Person- (My parents have always supported my needs. Especially my Father (thanks dad)
Style- Like i said before, i like most styles, but i mainly play alternative or rock and such.
Inspirations- I can remember my very first "drumset". a row of paint buckets lined up i my old garage. The best days of my life (until my neighbors found out).

By the way, check out the band i'm with... http://www.myspace.com/nakedshannon
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 PM

Music-Dream Theatre,All that Remains,Decapitated,Story of the year,lamb of god
Drummers-My friend + now drum teacher(drummer for revenance),Thomas Lang,Flo Mounier, Mike Portnoy,Chris adler
Persons-Above,Parents,friends who wanted to make band and needed drummer
Style-LOUD.Like to learn new things,so anything. Enjoy metal most,but vary playing for improvement
Inspiration-Thomas Lang/Flo Mounier/drummers,friends,the desire to be the best i can at anything i do

Great thread