DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 03-15-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: The "how" thread

Music- ( The music and bands who got you into drums)

Well being 44 the band that got me into drumming (no surprises here) was the Beatles...

Drummer- (The drummer who got you into the drums)

That would be Richard Starkey...

Person- ( A specific person you know who got/helped get you into drums)

My Mom/my Dad and my late Grandfather who worked his whole life at a music store and could play a little bit of every instrument.

Style- ( The style you enjoy playing most on drums)

Pop/Rock

Inspirations- ( Anything that inspired you to play in the first place and keep on playing to the best of your abilities)

After Ringo I would say Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Ian Paice and countless others...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

I hated piano so I chose the drums and once I got a Metallica CD I wanted nothing more then play no no I mean BEAT the S***T out of those drums!
Thank you!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Music - Deftones Pearl Jam Blink182 Nirvana Korn

Drummer - Matt Cameron David Silveria Abe Cunningham

Person - My mates got me in to drumming one of my friends had A cd with A whole bunch of songs pretty much all the bands above on it and they used to air guitar to and told me to be the air drummer so I did and then after that I just coulden't stop air drumming when ever I put on A cd I had to air drum to it even though I didn't no how to play at the time

Style - Metel rock punk would say Jazz but to be honest I can't play Jazz

Inspirations - Pete Sandoval he attacks his bass drums like A punching bag. In fact, he spends so much time blasting quadruplets and sextuplets with his feet that heretic could probably win an award for most bass strokes ever on A long playing album. Dave Grohl the whole nirvana to foo fighters thing
Old 03-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Music- blink182, sum41, evergrey,The failures, the ramones,the doors, aerosmith,nirvana.
Drummer- no one really i kinda jumped into it blind.
Person- there was this guy who worked at my school his name was mr ryan. he showed me the basics ever once a a while after school.
Style- punk and metal
Inspirations- seeing people that are better than me. it helps alot, if instead of giving up you bring ur self up to their level.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 PM

Music- U2 was a big insperation from a young age. My dad has many tapes (yes TAPES!) from the many times he had seen them, i used to sit and watch them and consentrate on the drummer, even when i had no idea about me drumming at the ages of about 5-8.
Drummer- Well...larry mullen was one of the first drummers names i knew, so il stick with him.
Person- It was always my personal choice but for the love of music, it would be my dad that helped me into it.
Style- Anything from metal to funk-jazz.
Inspirations- Again, larry was the only one i knew from a certain age, but now I am very much influenced by many others, like thomas lang, mike portnoy, ian paice, travis barker, etc, etc could go on forever so i will stop now.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:57 AM

i played guitar for four-five years, was never amazing, but was solid, but practicing became a chore and then we needed a drummer in my church band and i sad ill do it, in three months i have progressed more on the drums then i did on guitar in five years i feel as thought it is inside me also having a amazing piano player for a dad helps, also my sister played drums in a band through highschool so i have her pearl exports now. she never was that good tho at all, oh and i always liked drummers how they are mysterious and sometimes very subtle its sooo good.....

thats it!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:50 AM

i kinda stumbled upon it lol.. i took up percussion in band class in 6th grade cuz that's what my friends was doin.. then i fell iin love wit it lol.. i used it to like.. get stuff off my mind and hit the drums instead of ppl lol.. and now i love it
Old 03-23-2006, 06:56 AM

I come from a musical family. My dad plays the electric and bass guitars, his brothers play the accordion, harmonica, drums and guitar. When I was three, Dad bought a miniature guitar and set of drums. I never touched the guitar. In 5th grade, I took up band and began to play the drums. From then on, the drums have been my instrument of choice. I've wanted to buy a set since about 8th grade but I never got around to it. I'm now a senior in college and haven't played since I was a senior in high school, but Mom and Dad are pitching in for a set as a gift for my graduation gift. I'm pumped!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:12 AM

I was obssesed with drums ever since I was a kid. I think it had a lot to do with Animal from the Muppets. Kept hassling my parents to let me take lessons.

Everyone kept saying 'why do you want to be a drummer????'

I didnt understand why everyone else wanted to play guitar. How boring I thought to myself..

Still remember seeing Tommy Lee spinning upside down, doing a mental solo at a Motley concert when I was 9 or 10. I was hooked from then on
Old 03-23-2006, 09:08 PM
MOONCHILD

I think it was Nicko Mcbrain who had influence on me.He was like an animal you know ? I used to think that he is the best player of the world.Today i think he is atractive drum player isnt he.Anyway,heres a fact for you:I played for ten (10)years and i didnt have a drum kit
Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 PM
MOONCHILD

MUSIC- Iron Maiden,Deep Purple,SMAK(you must listen this band played as pregroup for deep purple and guitarist siad that he was so nervous after listening this guys guitar solo)
DRUMERS- Nicko Mcbrain,Ian Pace,Igor Cavalera,Boris Leiner,Alham Zilic
PERSON-Quess a close friend of mine and my teacher Alham Zilic
INSPIRATION-MAIDEN MAIDEN MAIDEN
STYLE-I would play anything but I wouldnt dare to play jazz im not dedicated that much to my babys,dont have time
Old 03-30-2006, 02:26 AM

music::: Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Rush, Cream
drummers::: My father, john bonham, keith moon, ginger baker
person::: my dad, my friends joe and scott, even though i've passed them now, god bless'em
style::: classic rock/funk, simple blues
inspiration::: keith moon, john bonham, huub janssen, buddy rich, chad smith, neil peart, ginger baker, vinnie colaiuta
Old 03-30-2006, 02:37 AM

To tell you the truth i really have no idea ever since i could understand how to speak or do anything at about age 1 i've always craved drums, it looked so good to bang on something that made such a fascinating noise. I could still remember when i was about 3 or 4 beating on my mother's pots and pans, lol to think i used to be satisfied juest by looking at a drum set. Im not shure what music got me into to drums ever since i was able to understand music i have always wanted to play, but the bands that were truly an ispiration to me, and still are, were Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and all thoes oldies bands. That was when i was about 5 years old, and ever since then and earlier i've always loved to play drums.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:27 AM

I started playing when I was 10 years old in the school band. I wanted to play the saxaphone like everyone else because it was 'cool' - go figure. I was actually pretty pissed off when I was told I would be playing the drums but decided to give it a go anyway. I was a pretty quick learner and was one of the best musicians in the band. After 3 years I got tired of playing boring concert band songs and gave it away.

When I moved to uni I decided to take it up again so I could jam with my mates and stuff and I've been playing for a year now. Nowadays, the thing that makes me want to play the drums more than anything is The Mars Volta - their drummer Jon Theodore is awesome, I just love the way he plays, and hopefully one day soon I'll play like that.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:45 PM

I recently found and looked in a book where you fill in stuff about what you want to be when your older and fill in other stuff like best friends, birthdays, etc, which i completed when i was very young (about 5 - 6 or something). And in it, it says "What do you really want to do or learn," or something to that effect and in my crappy young primary 1 writing it says "eat pies". Nah "drumming", so that was pretty cool to see.

I actually started keyboard when i was about 7-8, influenced by parents and music school because they said it would get me to know about the music first, plus my wrists may not be strong enough. I started, and hated it! I used to play along to the demos on the keyboard but note with notes from the keyboard! by hitting it keeping the drum beat!!!

I'm now 15, and started drums at 10, but as you can see, i wanted to a long time before that! i went to a snare drum class thing when i was about 7 and used to always take anything i could find to hit my plastic fake play snare drum i had (and broke) lol.

So i'm not completly sure about what made me start, old videos of larry mullen with u2 that my dad had definetly helped, and influenced me!!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Default What made you want to play drums more than anything?

the thing that made we want to play drums was i was watching TV and i saw the band blink 182 What's my age again and i was like that is awsome then 1 of my friends knew hhow to play drums and that made me want 2 play so i did and i been playin for about 2 years now
Old 04-05-2006, 12:07 PM

the thing that made me was start playing was, you know when your young and you get random obessions with anything you think is 'cool'. well i was obessed with drums for a short time and at this time its was coming up to my birthday so of course i asked for a drum kit. at first when the obession wore off i was concidering quiting. but stuck to it. as i got older i realised what drums were about and now i wouldnt stop now if u paid me!!

SpikeY
Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 AM

Music- Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, children of bodom, darket hour, the mars volta
Drummer- John Bonham, Jonh Theodore, both amazing drummers!
Person- My friend who played guitar and a guy i know who plays durms
Style- funk/rock/metal
Inspirations- Listening to Led Zeppelin!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: the "how" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerern
you do that too? or a*re you joking about tapping your teeth?

Not only do I tap my teeth, I play snare rudiments with them. Probably not very good for them.

I have a pretty mean 5 stroke single by the way.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Music- Led Zepplin, Cream, The Police, Chilli peppers, basically a bit of everything.

Drummer- Bonham, Ginger Baker and Dom Famularo

Person- My drum tutor.

Style- Various styles of rock, indie and a sprinkle of jazz.

Inspirations- Playing guitar and then when a band set up, it needed a drummer......
Old 04-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Not only do I tap my teeth, I play snare rudiments with them. Probably not very good for them.

I do the exact same thing! Snare rudiments.. funny, isn't it?

I'm always tapping my feet to whatever's playing.. playing 'hand' parts with my feet has improve my double bass a lot!

MUSIC

I started drums by accident.. wanted to play sax at school but got roped into drums. needless to say i was hooked on drums, and early on my inspriation came from blink and limp bizkit, but i was never really into that much......

DRUMMER

drummers who have really inspired me these days would be the guy from muse (as well as a lot of good, solid drummers in bands i like) ... but most of all JON THEODORE from the mars volta.. his music is on another level for me - its exactly want i want to be, im sure everyone has there own band/drummer that does it for them..

PERSON

to be honest, my first teacher was just one of those schol music multi-purpose teachers and wasnt that influencial.. ive been 'teaching' myself for a year or so, so yeah ME!

STYLE

basically anything from most pop/mainstream rock bands i can handle, but im trying to get into prog rock ie mars volta and want to try bluesy n latin stuff.. its just a matter of time really!

INSPIRATIONS

as said, JON THEODORE / MARS VOLTA just love their style.. at the moment though, im really liking the whole technical side of drumming and would love/ aiming to become a lot more involved in it.. like really become a student and go for it all

main inspiration though is just screwing around with mates and playing covers / trying to impress chicks!

cheers!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib

I do that too it seems like a bad habit, when sombodys looking at you lol they see you tapping your to teeth i wonder what they think.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:40 AM

I guess my brother just told my dad he wanted to play guitar, and I said that I wanted to play drums, I started that week!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Well...classical music is great piano is great....but the feeling playing around the drumset is marvellus....that's why i choose to play it!!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:46 PM

Music- The music that got me into drums i would have to say was Rock 'n' Roll and the band was the ever classic AC-DC

Drummer- JOHN BONHAM!!

Person- One of my friends from school who had been playing drums for 4 years ( We're 14) and know is the guitarist in our band :S

Style- The style i like to play is deffinitly Rock 'n' Roll and maybe some blues.

Inspirations-I would have to go with John Bonham i dont think i would as passionate about drums if it wasnt for him.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:10 AM

Music- ( Rush and most 80's hair bands. In the late 80's it was Zeppelin, Floyd, The Doors,Kansas, Eagles-I wasn't exposed to a lot of this music until I was about 14 or 15. In the early 90's it was still Floyd-Division Bell, but mostly Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP...etc. Mid 90's it was Tool, Rage, DMB-who I started admiring again)

Drummer- (I started playing pots and pans, tupperware, boxes-you name it- along with my dad's band at a young age. But mainly my buddy Monty. He was pulling off Peart at age 10..flawlessly. He now does studio work in Nashville.)

Person(s)- ( Monty Bradford and Brad Hutchins, two schoolmates and still two of the best drummers I know. I was always jealous because they were superior to me. Made me practice that much harder...and they still kick my ass!! )

Style- ( Rock, Funk,Blues)

Inspirations- ( I guess one thing that inspired me at a young age was I wanted to fit in with my father and his band. I wanted to know what it felt like up on that stage. My father was a Luthier and he built his own guitars and repaired vintage and other instruments. Music was a huge part of his life and I truly believe it kept him alive for several years after he got sick. God rest his soul.)

Last edited by DogBreath; 04-23-2006 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Edited to make the evil smilies go away
Old 05-01-2006, 11:41 PM

Music- Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, eventually Miles Davis, who led me to a whole new world of music, too much I can't list all of them.
Drummer- 1. My first drum teachers, Ross Johnson and Garrett Heinz
Person- My Parents!
Style- Jazz is what keeps me workin in town! And it is my favorite, but I also love Praise and Worship Music and I want to play more of the jazz/rock for gigs instead of just in my basement.
Inspirations- Steve Smith, what a mastefull drummer, his DVD totally changed my drumming life. THANK YOU! Also all of the old records with Tony Williams, Blakey, Jo Jones, Elvin Jones, etc..... Of course my current instructor on drum set, Chuck Case. Another inspiration is getting gigs in town, that keeps me going pretty hard!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHAHA
I've never been able to sit still; I'm ALWAYS absent-mindedly tapping my feet, hands, fingers, teeth... to some ryhthm or song either on the radio or in my head.

AND there is always some kind of music playing in my head (right now it is Yes' "Hold On"). Some people might say that I'm possessed... yup: possessed with the spirit of music!
I am exactly the same.. constantly tapping something... lol. and music comes natural.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

I was in a two piece band. My bandmate got an electric guitar. We needed a drummer, and all the ones we knew were in bands. There was an unused 12+ pc kit sitting in a garage down the street. Yes, yes. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I think it's metaphysically impossible. lol
Old 05-07-2006, 01:58 PM

i always dreamt about playing the drums...
my mom told me that i used to hit pans and cooking pots with spoons when i was like 3 years old...
i started only 2 years ago and i cant stop playing since then...
its my therapy and it helps me to escape from the boredome of my daily routine...
Old 05-07-2006, 02:21 PM

from the tender age of 5 i started listening to some beatles tapes my dad had around. then i discovered rock through the "cherry pie" video of the band warrant. and though that steven sweet made it look fun as heck.

that's what made me really decide i wanted to play the drums.

though the way i play NOW is largely influenced by David Grohl.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:48 PM
petgeh

I started when i was 6, after 4 years i stopped. About 1 year ago, i bought the blink-182 self titled album, and after hearing Travis Barker plaing Feeling This, i started again.

Music- My favourite kind of music is punk, because that got me into drumming.
Bands: NOFX, Rancid, Ramones, blink-182, Pennywise, Descendents,
Bad Religion, The Cure, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones

Drummer- Travis Barker

Person- My parents
Style- Punk and Led Zeppelin stuff.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 AM

I got a toy drum kit from my parents on my 4th or 5th xmas i think thats when drums got indented in my head...i was then fascinating until i was 7 by marching bands and how amazing the snare drums sounded. i then got my first snare drum when i was 7 years old, then a better one when i was 11, then a drumkit at 13, then my sonor force 2005 recently....i haven't played consistently through all these years however the past three years i have been completely dedicated...DRUMS RULE!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM

I remember when i was 6-7yrs old and i whent to see this "music on ice" show and at the end a drummer came out on this big box and was driven all around the arena. He did the most catching beats i had heard at that age, and bugged my parents for years about druming!

I finaly got lessons and a set when i was 10yrs old, and have been drumming ever since.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoJr48
We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.

i started playing a year ago but wut really started it was my cousin will glaser, username=animalwills [i think] and when i visit him on easter hols and stuff, his playing sounded really good and i wanted to be a part of sounding good and the other thing that started me was that i wanted to play a instrument, i thought about a saxafone but i'd had to learn the clarinet first which i didn't want to do, then i started playing the guitar and i went on with that till a couple of weeks after the first 5 lessons which i had a my primary school 2yearz ago. the teacher was boring and we stayed on the same thing to learn for at least 4 weeks and it really was boring.
and then i went onto the drums where will my cousin came in. he is so cool at it cos hes been playing for 5 years now so hes got really good.
i'm going in for my first exam in june/july somewhere around those months and i'm doing grade 2 out of the guildhall music book so hopefully i'll pass because i've been practicing it alot!
i'm aged 12 now and i wanted to play the guitar when i was 10 and now drumming has taken over me and at my high school (earls high school in halesowen birmingham that used to be the grammar school) i can't stop talking bout it and i MIGHT be joining the earls orchestra and i'm the dudley junior wind and brass band's percussionist
g2g
pinkyxxxx
Old 05-12-2006, 12:37 PM

For me it was listening to Jimmy Bower on the first Down album and then Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest. He plays some pretty simple stuff but with such groove and feeling.

I had played guitar for 12 or 13 years when I started on drums. This sounds really cheesey but I knew I could feel how to play the drums before I did - I knew the feeling of laying down a beat before I even could. 10 years of writing beats with my trusty old Boss DR-5 helped as well.

I knew I would get a better connection with the music through playing the beats rather than the the guitar parts and I do now.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:41 PM

Simply Steve Gadd ;)

Even to this day i can't belive how much drive he gives me to get better.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:44 AM

I would sit under the table and 'ping' all the metal legs on the table and chairs as soon as I was able to crawl.

Like other children I pulled pots and pans out from cupboards etc. Any sort of sound would fascinate me for hours and annoy adults outside of my family quite quickly.

Thankfully I come from a family that has for several generations encouraged an interest in music.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:02 PM

I'm not sure. I knew I wanted to play music early on and couldn't wait to get into 4th grade which is when we were allowed to join orchestra. They didn't offer any percussion in 4th grade orchestra however so I played violin for a year and when we were allowed to join band in 5th I wanted to play drums but felt compelled to play trumpet since my older brothers had... kind of a tradition thing I suppose, but the urge to drum was always there. I've played guitar and bass off and on for several years and just recently (within the past 2 years) purchased a used drum set. It's cheap but it works, and I'm as happy as a clam. Now I just need to figure out more practice time.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Big_Philly

My story is a bit weird... My parents (especially my mother) always noticed I had a sense of rhythm... When I was 4 years old, I had this crush on a girl when I was on vacation in france, and I grabbed a bucket and two wooden spoons and gave her a show.
It never worked out.
Anyway, when I was 10 years old, my brother (who played the trumpet) brought to my parents attention that the orchestra in which he played was searching for drummers. And I decided I'd help them out. Pretty weird, huh? you'd expect someone to be totally wild about playing drums, but I just wanted to help out. Fortunately I got along very well with both the teacher and the practise pad and snare drum that I used for more than a year, until I got my first kit (a Thunder Fusion kit).