DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 01-16-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

Hello, I'm new to DW. So uh, hi there! :P I actually originally started out wanting to play guitar and I took lessons for them for a while before I decided to stop taking them. I just wasn't feeling it with guitar. (which is ironic because my guitar player now wanted to play drums originally.) It wasn't until I was 15 years old and my friend spontaneously wanted to start a band. So we set up my dad's old kit in my basement and decided I'd play drums. I fell in love with them after my dad taught me the basic 4/4 beat and I've been playing since. That simple. :P
Old 01-22-2006, 02:35 AM

For me it began after failing in an astounding way at various wind instruments. I just didn't have the "it" that a person must have to be able. I think in some ways it was probably a lack of patience. I started banging around on upside down garbage cans when I was in the sixth grade and then re-joined the school band as a drummer. Snare drum parts seemed so easy. I had learned how to read music (somewhat) but then snare drum parts seemed so very easy. Of course that was a long time ago, with music that was simple but it just seemed like it worked.

Then I started getting more serious about my playing. I started to learn that drums were in fact an instrument and not just a beat.

From there it just became something I could not really live without. I mean, I was unhappy if I could not play. I was always looking for something to play and always looking to learn something new. I can remember learning rolls, learning how to let the sticks do the work, all of it was so much fun.

After a while I started playing a set and loved it even more. I can remember the days of garage bands (playing stuff from Sabbath, Zep, and then newer stuff like Ozzy (solo), Great White, Eagles, Scorpions, and Kiss. Anything rock, anything that felt good.

Today I have learned to love the fast drummers, the slow drummers, jazz drummers and latin drummers. I respect anyone who is in to what they do and works hard to grow. I know the question is what made you want to play drums, which I answered above, but I also know why I keep playing them.

I keep on playing because everything else goes away when I am playing. Work, girlfriend issues, life stresses. It all goes away and I find a place where it is just music. Just music and nothing else and as all of you know, there are just times when you find that place and it is absolutely perfect. Every song, every hit, all your chops and fills and grooves, they all just work. It's when you stop trying to drum and just play.....and as sentimental as all of that sounds, it is so very true.

It is like nothing else, and I have been changed for the better for picking up those sticks.

Best,
Isaacs
Old 01-22-2006, 01:11 PM

to answer the question: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

would have to link back to the my influences of the powerful beats of John Bonham, The funk beats of Brain Mantia, The rocking beats of Dave Ghrol

and most importantly the feel you get when you hit the drums!

with

Tama Twin Iron Cobra Pedals

www.myspace.com/sebborocks
Old 01-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: The "how" thread

Music- I dont know what music got me into drums... i guess i just liked hitting things with sticks
Drummer- Same as before.
Person- My drum teacher- Fred Ray. He is better then a large percentage of pro drummers on drummerworld.
Style- Rock followed by jazz then fusion.
Inspirations- Same as first question. But recently i found a pic of myself at an age around 1 or 2 with a pair of small crash cymbals. not finger cymbals crash cymbals.

Last edited by DogBreath; 04-23-2006 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Edited to make the evil smilies go away
Old 01-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoJr48
We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.
I started because during a sporting trip with my school to another country, I stayed at a guy's house who had and played a drumset. He goes on and plays the basic rock beat with some simple fills. Me having absolutely no experience whatsoever got on and played exactly what he did, and it just clicked in my mind that this was something I could do for the rest of my life. I was 12 back then, now I'm 15 gigging all over my city with classical, blues, jazz, psychedelia, punk, rock, and metal bands. Over these past 3 years I've started learning more and more from my favourite drummers, and my family and friends are all extremely supportive.

What always pushed me back when I was 12 to keep on truckin was watching other kids the same age as me completely rip on their sets, and I have many friends who I still look to for inspiration to practice.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:09 PM

Music- any music that was playing when i was little , first time i heard old metallica.
Drummer- Lars Ulrich , Neil Pert < first two good drummer i heard play , also seeing Mike Portnoy at Gigantour really made me know this is what i want to do.
Person- my mom , and my drums teachers.
Style- a thrashy type of metal thats what my band plays , fooling around with jazz is fun too.
Inspirations- al the great drummers out there , all genres of music that involve talent.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:33 AM

Stewart Copeland. and my teenage years of loving music.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:53 AM

I really wanted to play drums in my school band in 5th grade but there was too much drummers. Instead, I went and got drum lessons and my teacher taught me everything. He taught me double bass, pad stuff, and everything else. Since being taught by him, I love drums.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
The chicks
Well duhhh, hahahaha. The ladies tend to have a soft spot for us drummers. Girl drummers look pretty attractive when they're drumming most of the time :p
Old 01-27-2006, 05:51 AM

This is actually kind of an odd story, so here it is:

When I was about 11, I found out that we were moving to a new house to be closer to my dad's 7-11 franchise that he bought. I had been a ghetto/gangsta kid who wore clothes that came up almost to my knees, and I never really listened to rock, or any music very much for that matter. When we moved, I found that this town was the TOTAL opposite of where I used to live. So, I liked to go with the flow, and for about a year, I started to grow my hair out, to about my back. Then my older bro, who is 5 years and 20 days older than me(and my sister was born on the exact same day as my bro, were all born in July, and my b-day is 20 days away from both of them, so I'm the middle/trouble child ^L^), started listening to music like System Of A Down. He picked up the guitar, and soon was interested. Then I think that sparked something in me, my brother was like a really close friend to me, and he still sort of is but he's gone at college and comes home every weekend :), and one day, he wanted to get an amp for his new Ibanez Starter guitar, idk what it's actually name was, but he wanted to be just like the guitarist in S.O.A.D. I guess, and I think that's why I always love reading all these posts about you guys and your gear and what you think about other drums and gear, because I always saw my bro looking at guitars and researching on them. Anyway, I was talking to him in the car on the way to Guitar Center (oh ya, and I played Alto Sax for about 3 years, and I was really really good at it too, the best in my band classes at school, but I was never really motivated enough to go to band class in 5th grade cuz I really loved hanging out instead of playing music) and he said "Warren, this girl in band plays drums, and I think you should try them, cuz she says they're really fun", I almost always listened to what my older bro said cuz he was pretty much my second dad, unless I got into those big bro little bro fights with him, so I saw this 200$ Sound Percussion Piano Black set, and I had the money to buy it, I think the guy at GC tried all he could to make this thing sound better than it was in words, and I took his word for it. So I ended up buy a drumset that fits in 1 box, knowing ABSOLUTLEY nothing about drums, I went home, and set it up, with my bro to help me of course. It was funny, cuz I put the drum head OVER the hoop, instead of under the hoop on the bass drum, and I put the hi-hat clamp on wrong, and didn't figure to how to really put it on until 2 years later. But I played it every time I could, I even faked sick a couple of times to get out of school and play the kit. My grandma actually liked me playing the kit, but it kind of made me mad that she would mock me and laugh while saying "go play your boom bang, or what do you call it", then I would hit stuff as hard as I could and she would try to calm me down. I think that's how it all started, knowing absolutley NOTHING about drums, and just following the crowd sort of, and today, I have a Gretsch Catalina Birch Vintage Burst 5 piece shell fusion pack, I think I got ripped sort of, for about 600$, and you could get it off Musicians Friend for 550$ :/, but I'm still happy. I have my old cymbals that came with my Sound Percussion set that sound okay, they're a 16" Ride/crash (at least I think?) and a pair of 12-13" hi's, and a squeeky as hell hi-hat pedal and a really bad no cam bass drum pedal. I'm happy with what I have, and I've merged my floor tom from my Sound Percussion kit with my Gretsch Catalina Birch, and it actually sounds really good. This is my story of how I got into drums, and now I play a lot, but sometimes I don't, cuz sometimes I think that my neighbors think that I suck, but now my mom's getting me a private teacher, and I think I have fulfilled my dream of getting a great set, and now to work on getting a DB pedal, new cymbals, new stands, and working on drumming. Thanks to all of you that took the time to read this.

-Warren
DW 7002 Turbo Drive Double Pedal
Old 01-27-2006, 06:12 PM

hearing the flair of mark brzezicki and the speed of tre cool, and the chance to do something different. iv been involved in music since i was 6 and drums made a nice change
Old 01-27-2006, 07:29 PM

A basic need to be in a band and the knowledge that everyone is always looking for a drummer.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 PM

inever really got into drums, i was a jazz trombonist...which is kinda....not as cool as drums! but in about 10th grade i decided that i would do percussion, and i decided i wanted one...i joined drumline...was bottom bass, got most of the crucial parts, and now im gigging like two years later...it turns out im actually pretty good, but i still play the trombone too
Old 01-27-2006, 07:43 PM

Nothing really ever made me want to play. I was playing when I was 5 years old, because my entire extended family played the drums. Some were professionals, and some, like my father were semi-pro. I never NOT remember being able to play the drums or being around the drums. We had drums in my house since the day I was born. My dad said he put my older brother on the drum stool and he cried. He put me on the stool and I started playing! Sometimes it is learned and sometimes it comes naturual.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:18 PM

Music - Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith
Drummers - John Blackwell, Steve Smith,Steve Gadd, Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart,Sheila E., My Drum Teacher.
Person - Parents
Style - Anything under the sun. Mainly Rock and Metal.
Inspiration - Drumming Videos and the praise i get from my senior in the school band.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:37 PM

going to church, Rev. Clark played a white marine oyster pearl kit don,t remember the make but I used to sit behind the mothers board (second pew that side) just to watch
Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 AM

Shannon Larkin

I saw a video of Godsmack performing "I Stand Alone" live for some Military gig, and he rocked the hell out on the drums. He looked like he was having so much fun and loved what he was doin so I decided I wanted to join him : D!
Old 02-06-2006, 02:19 AM

Default Re: the "how" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHAHA
I've never been able to sit still; I'm ALWAYS absent-mindedly tapping my feet, hands, fingers, teeth... to some ryhthm or song either on the radio or in my head.

AND there is always some kind of music playing in my head (right now it is Yes' "Hold On"). Some people might say that I'm possessed... yup: possessed with the spirit of music!

Me too, me too! always bin that way, awsome Im not the only one driving people nuts by tapping... ever notice if you are on a bus, and you start tapping something and soon you have a few others start to tap as well? this works! they just start to tap cause they see you tapping...

Last edited by DogBreath; 04-23-2006 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Edited to make the evil smilies go away
Old 02-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Chicks. Sure i might have been 5 or 6 but really... CHICKS.

SEX, DRUGS ROCK AND ROLE,
PARTY HARD BIRTH CONTROL!!!

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7204
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks
For me it was a man named John Henry Bonham...
same reason as yours, i feel whole lotta passion
Old 02-13-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: the "how" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHAHA
I've never been able to sit still; I'm ALWAYS absent-mindedly tapping my feet, hands, fingers, teeth... to some ryhthm or song either on the radio or in my head.

AND there is always some kind of music playing in my head (right now it is Yes' "Hold On"). Some people might say that I'm possessed... yup: possessed with the spirit of music!

you do that too? or a*re you joking about tapping your teeth?

Last edited by DogBreath; 04-23-2006 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Edited to make the evil smilies go away
Old 02-13-2006, 01:30 PM

I grew up with a father who played Jazz on Saturday mornings and Classical on Sundays. I was also 9 when the Beatles came out in 1962.
Listening and growing up with music was the norm for me. I started practicing drums when the British Invasion hit North America first on furniture and finally on a Stewart snare my dad bought me. Between 1962 and 1975 I played. Once I got married I stopped until a month ago when I bought my Pearls.
For me playing drums just made sense. Don't ask me why but dispite what we have to do just to be able to play everything made sense. I ate, slept, did the air drumming, played on the real thing, the whole nine yards. Even after a 30 year absence it still has been a life long love affair that only a few of us can't explain.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli
I really liked music and thought of playing bass... But I was born a tapper... So...
ditto, but i played jazz trombone, but i mean really, just the passion that i would see people putting into the drums and the way that it seemed to be a WAY OF LIFE as opposed to something to do....i was hooked, sophmore year in high school i got a kit and started playing

tj
Old 02-16-2006, 02:59 PM

I realised i wanted to learn the drums a while back when my mate Aaron started playing Greenday, i thought hey i wanna do that. We're both side-drummers, and ive been playing for a year so ive got more interested in the drums since i started. It took me AGES to find a tutor now i have one, first lesson was last week, hahaha!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Listening to Queens' Roger Taylor on "The Game". My father used to listen to this record
when I was only three or four years old - since that time I' ve been dreaming of buying my
own kit and start rockin' . The dream came true - what else can I say...
Old 02-19-2006, 08:26 PM

well, I suffer from depression and I've always been into music.
everything else just isn't physical enough.
[physical activity helps produce endorphines, which in turn produce Saratonin, and that's what I'm lacking.]
Old 02-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by countaferfer
well, I suffer from depression and I've always been into music.
everything else just isn't physical enough.
[physical activity helps produce endorphines, which in turn produce Saratonin, and that's what I'm lacking.]
I highly recommend you increase your levels of serotonin instead, and your problems may vanish!!

Sorry, I hope a fellow sufferer is allowed to poke fun :)
Old 02-19-2006, 10:37 PM

Chicks.
BTW it worked!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:10 AM

When I was about 10, my brother was an air cadet. I would attend dome of his parades but never really thought it was all cool. But then i heard the band play. It WAS GREAT. I loved the melody of the trumpets. And then I heard this continueis(?)beat in the back ground. Then the drummers broke into an amazing drum cadence. I instantly fell in love with drums, and learnd to play snare drum. Only a year later i started at middle school and everyone had to pick an instruement. BAM! Drums were sitting there all alone so I sat down while everyone was talking about how good thell be at trumpet or clarinet, I just broke into a roll and then put everything i could lay down out(which wasnt much i might add)I played for what felt like hours and then stopped. That is when i fell in love with drum sets.(and a girl in my class who kissed me for being so cool) It was the rythm. So hear i am 3 and a half later, drumming like a maniac everyday.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

When I was about 5 years old, my dad's friend played drums in our church. I showed interest in the drums, my parents bought me his old CB700 set and I never stopped since. Now I have a Yamaha Stage Custom. But what I regret is what I sold a couple years back. I bought a Zildjian K Heavy Ride for 30 bucks off some guy who wanted to get rid of it. I loved it but sold it to fund my new set!!!!! Stupid Me!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 AM

Music-Classic Rock, Metal, Grunge, Rock Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, Hendrix, GNR, Black Sabbath, The Misfits, The Melvins, The Doors, The Beatles, Megadeth goes on.. heh
Drummer- John Bonham
Person- my friend Bassist in my band Nick Lacovara
Style- Rock Metal
Inspirations-John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Vinnie Paul and every other drummer just doing their own thing.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Stu_Strib

Music- The Police, Journey, Steely Dan, Toto, Van Halen, Billy Joel, *cough* Loverboy, ZZ Top, Elton John, Iron Maiden, Alan Parsons Project, Chick Corea Electrik Band

Drummer- Dom Famularo, Steve Smith and Billy Cobham..the first clinics I remember

Person- My high-school private instructor and college drumline coach, Alan Keown

Style- Funky rock, bluesy rock, accoustic 'adult oriented/album rock'

Inspirations- Learning music on violin for 6 years before touching a drumstick. Having a high level of musicianship already as a beginning drummer. Placing in State competitions in orchestral snare and mallet percussion, earning a scholarship to play in College, making the tenor line as a freshman, and again, my old instructor Alan Keown.

The real reason I play drums is because my Freshman year I wanted to play Bass guitar (keeping the strings thing going). I was pretty good, but the band director didn't have anyone with enough coordination to play drums. I tried it and was kind of naturally good, so drums it was! To this date, I suck at bass.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM

ermmm.... because i like hitting things and i couldnt play any other instrument n i get to say that drummers have the biggest instrument which is sad but true
Old 03-04-2006, 04:07 AM
~tamadrummer~

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNIRVANAX
Music-Classic Rock, Metal, Grunge, Rock Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, Hendrix, GNR, Black Sabbath, The Misfits, The Melvins, The Doors, The Beatles, Megadeth goes on.. heh
Drummer- John Bonham
Person- my friend Bassist in my band Nick Lacovara
Style- Rock Metal
Inspirations-John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Vinnie Paul and every other drummer just doing their own thing.
NO WAY you like NIRVANA?
Old 03-04-2006, 04:10 AM
~tamadrummer~

Music- NIRVANA, alice in chains, metallica, other bands that i dont feel like naming
Drummer- well dave grohl had a big impact
Person- myself maybe? i bought my first kid with my onw money so....yeah
Style- rock, punk, metal, and i sneak a little jazz in there
Inspirations- uhh band mates and drum teacher
Old 03-04-2006, 02:18 PM

When I was 12 my older brother was playing King Crimson´s "Red" & "Starless and bible black" with Bill Bruford on drums. BANG!!! No turning back ever since....now I´m 42 and still at it
Old 03-06-2006, 04:33 AM

I remember being 5 yrs old and always getting in trouble for drumming on the dash board or the back seat of the car while my mom was listening to the radio. At that point I don't even think I knew what drums were. Fast forward to 5th grade, a music teacher from the local high school visited the class and thought I had some aptitude toward drumming. I remember begging my parents for a snare drum, as we didn't have a lot of money. They said OK, and I was hooked for life. That was 34 years ago and I'm still goin'...still tappin' on dash boards and stuff too.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:49 AM

My brother got a kit for christmas, and I used to go upstairs and bang on it to scare away the monsters I was afraid of when I was alone. I was a wierd one.

Oddly enough, early rap like Run DMC was a big influence on my first beat, which I played between the floor tom and snare, because I couldn't reach the pedals yet. Then I got into Gun's 'N Roses, and it was all over.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvinBaRkerDennis13
inever really got into drums, i was a jazz trombonist...which is kinda....not as cool as drums! but in about 10th grade i decided that i would do percussion, and i decided i wanted one...i joined drumline...was bottom bass, got most of the crucial parts, and now im gigging like two years later...it turns out im actually pretty good, but i still play the trombone too
I feel for you on this one times two. I was a jazz trombonist too, but my best friends were our alternating drummers in our outfit. One was kind of a hack, but the other was brilliant, to the point where he still intimidates me with his playing today. And my dad, who was like first chair trombone at BYU in all bands when he attended in the late 50s never approved (though I was and still am an incessant tapper). As such my desire was supressed for a long time (though I practiced in the car, air, everywhere) until I finally made a decision to get a set after college... Well the Navy really dominates your time, so eight years later I finally got around to it and bought my first set. Lo' and behold, in no time I was gear head, a cymbal-holic, AND had my own band. I adore it to death.

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?!!!

BTW, I have pulled the trombone a couple of times to play the Mariachi beginning of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" before I settle back behind the set and kick out the song Social-D style. My chops aren't what the used to be, but my beats are getting better and better.

J
Old 03-09-2006, 02:23 PM

When I was at school there were lots of bands but hardly any drummers. One guy used to get roped in to play drums for all of them. I thought then that he was a pretty good drummer and he might have gone far if he hadn't accidentally drowned aged 17. I once sat behind his kit and had a chance to play something. I might as well have been sitting at the controls of a 747 jet. Couldn't do a thing. I decided to wait almost 30 more years before getting lessons so that I can actually do something apart from sitting there looking at the drums. It'll be a long time before I can do anything like he used to but I'm making a start.