DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 08-28-2005, 01:56 AM

Default What got you started playing drums?

This thread is a thread about the "HOW" that got you into to drums.....I would like to know.....

Music- ( The music and bands who got you into drums)
Drummer- (The drummer who got you into the drums)
Person- ( A specific person you know who got/helped get you into drums)
Style- ( The style you enjoy playing most on drums)
Inspirations- ( Anything that inspired you to play in the first place and keep on playing to the best of your abilities)

Here is mine....

Music- In the beginning such bands as Aerosmith, Sum 41, Metallica, Children of Bodom. Basically the music that got me into it was anything that seemed challenging but not to far out of reach....(and i have come along way since those bands)
Drummer- A specific drummer than inspires me and keeps wanting me to try harder and get better would probobly #1 be John Blackwell. I really like his playing and showmanship. Really a terrific drummer.
Person- My uncle was a direct person that got me into playing drums...He played the drums for 30 some years and had a sweet 16 pc. drumset...whenever I went over there I asked if he could teach me something new and if I would make a good drummer...and he always encouraged me.
Style- Right now I really enjoy playing anything that fits what I'm feeling or enjoy to play... If I could only play three styles though I would pick Funk....Metal....and Jazz....these three styles I really enjoy playing.
Inspirations- My inspirations over the years to drums have been people always telling me what great coordination I have, people recommending I play drums...for several reason a lot of the time teacher because i would bang on the desk and annoy everyone...which i still do to this day.

This is pretty much my "how"...yours can be longer or shorter..doesn't matter...
Old 08-28-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: the "how" thread

Music- Everything I listened to made me want to play drums. From my parents "Party Rock" album to my Judas Priest and Van Halen.
Drummer- Probably my friend Curt.
Person- "same"
Style- Rock, Progressive Rock, Funk, metal, pop. Zappa.
Inspirations- Anyone that kicks ass out there made me want to go home and practice more. I remember playing to the Neil Peart Rush transcription book everyday after school. Then in Grade 9 taping the Who's farewell concert and playing to that every single day in the summer. Hearing the Joe's Garage album and trying to play along. Lol. At least half are playable. Stuff like that.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:20 AM

Music- Music didn't really get me into drums, it came later on. It was just drummers and drumming, seeing them. Playing any style. I was just like "WOW, that's awesome. Someday that'll be me".
Drummer- My drum teacher of course. Out of all of the big ones though, definatly Gadd, Bonham, or Mitch Mitchell.
Person- Both of my parents and my unbelievable drum teacher.
Style- All of them. I don't listen to all styles on a regular basis, but they're fun as hell to play.
Inspirations- My drum teacher Jeff Christmas for one. People like Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Elvin Jones, Steve Gadd, Buddy, and Cobham really inpired me to dig in and play my best.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

Music- I got into drumming from my band band class.
Drummer- Definitely my drum teacher/middle school band director.
Person- Drum teacher, Bonham
Style- Jazz
Inspirations- Bonham
Old 08-28-2005, 07:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Music- I've been listening to the band Yes literally my whole life and also drumming the same amount of time, the two just seemed to go hand in hand. My dad also is a musician with his own studio and i would play the drumset there (until it got in the way of him working, so he bought me my own sized kit for my first birthday)
Drummer- Bill Bruford and Alan White, the two drummers for Yes. I got the intricacies and out there ideas from Bruford, and the power and eloquence of White.
Person- My father! Bought me my own kit for my first birthday ... there's home video footage of me playing actual beats on the kit way back then!
Style- My style of actual playing is extremely unique, but styles of music would be everything from funk to progressive rock to jazz and pop (if well produced, like Seal or Peter Gabriel, Sting, etc)
Inspirations- The number of virtuosos always surrounding me is always awe inspiring (My father is a master guitar player, and I'm surrounded by others constantly like my drum teacher and Vinnie Moore, etc). Knowing the amount of work they put into getting their playing to the level its at is incredible, and really keeps me pushing my own boundaries...
Old 08-28-2005, 10:50 PM

Music: initially, i paid a lot of attention to ac/dc, simple 4/4 stuff...raised on old rock and outlaw country mostly...got into heavier rock, metal, and progressive as i gained exposure...

Drummer: phil rudd, no one plays 2 and 4 like him...then hair metal showed me showmanship (tommy lee, randy castillo, etc)

Person: an old boss i had...sold him an amp for my granddad, and he said get a drum kit and we'll jam...

Style: my own, mostly straight rock with a developing progressive approach...

Inspiration: definitely mike portnoy, for the range of sounds, the killer chops at any speed, and the down-to-earth guy he was when i met him at a clinic, and he never seems to stop learning...
Old 09-04-2005, 03:20 AM
BonzoJr48

Default What made you want to play drums more than anything?

We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

I don't remember what made me want to play...I was too young...maybe the fact that I could bang on things and not get in trouble for it?...LOL....now I know why I like to drum and that's because it's fun for one thing and for two it's what I do....it's in me and always has been and I hope it always will be.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:36 AM

I really just got bored with the Alto Saxophone, and listened to too much Van Halen. Sooo..I wanted to drum.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Chilli

I really liked music and thought of playing bass... But I was born a tapper... So...
Old 09-05-2005, 05:34 AM

I never really thought of being a drummer - then in Grade 7 at school we were made to learn the basic rock beat. Still never really got into drumming but I was listening to lots of metal bands with wicked drummers - Pantera (Vinnie Paul) and Metallica (Lars). Then my mate got into the drums in Grade 10, started teaching me some basic stuff that he was doing like paradiddles. Then i would copy Lars' songs and ever since ive loved drumming! I am like you Drummerboy - it is part of me and it wont go away!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Breakbeat Milo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoJr48
We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.
The Groooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove...
Old 09-05-2005, 05:25 PM
mlehnertz

I was a really bad piano player?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:26 PM

Well for me it was more who was playing what. And everyone here was playing guitar and i hated that. Everyone who played guitar here sucked except for a few people. It was like a popularity thing. If one person has it everyone does. Anywas i found that very annoying so i originaly started playing bass. I was pretty good to and i was in a band with my 2 best friends. Played my friends drums and loved them. I was instantly hooked. And from there it was drums for me the whole way.

Peace- John
Old 09-05-2005, 10:37 PM
fourstringdrums

Probably because I had so many people telling me I wouldn't be able to play.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:08 AM

My friend showed me the Led Zeppelin DVD and Bonham's Moby Dick drum solo...i was just shocked that something like the drums, that thing that you never ever really listened for (before you started drumming) and thought was just "there" was something that could be so versatile and so purely musical. Then my friend showed me a paradiddle after watching Moby Dick...i just started there. He brought his set over to my house and he played the guitar with me at the drums...which i applaud him for, because i was not such a good sight at the drums (atleast then)...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Just listening to them as a young child made me feel so drawn too them like bee's to honey. I knew at that point what I wanted to do, and I was here for, even though it took me a second to live up to that.

Dap.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:16 AM

I just wasn't good at the fluite, harmonica or recorder so I played drums. Because I've been tapping on desks at school since grade 2.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 AM

When I was two or three my mother bought me one of those "Best of the Muppet Show" tapes and I would sit in front of the TV for hours watching the Buddy Rich/Animal drum battle. My addiction to drums never quit.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Pioneer Member

when I was like 5 years old I was addicted to marching bands. especially because I liked the sound of the snare drums so much. a few years later my brother got me into listening to guns n' roses but still I liked the drums the most. I remember being so impressed by seeing matt sorum doing a solo on the video tapes my brother had. from there it only got worse ;) I still have one of these tapes and watch it occasinally. I just can't remember the time where I didn't got people crazy about me bangin' on stuff.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:58 AM
THE ANIMAL

When I was a kid I could never sit still, I would tap and hit everything within reach.
Then one day my Dad said there's a marching band in the village looking to recruit drummers.
I had to go for 3 reasons :-

1. There were lots of girls in the band.

2. My Dad was ready to murder me if I did'nt stop drumming.

3. I just had to drum, like I have to draw breath.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:27 PM

When I was about 7, I always loved to dance. I could always feel the beat within me and always wanted to express it through dancing.

Then I started listening the early 90's grunge and really wanted to rock out. So when I was 14, I took a music class in school and hit the drums. I remember learning that damned rock beat right away. My teacher looked at me like I was possesed or something. It was HIS look that finally made me get into drumming nearly 3 years ago now.

Now I'll never stop playing.

Marc.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Ludwig7584

Well its kinda wierd but my father played drums and when i was around the age of 5 i just started playing naturally. I have never had a lesson to this day and iam 21 years old. I am not the greatest but I consider myself good for never being taught a single thing. I guess it was just passed down from my father....
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Pioneer Member

I remember very very clearly "What makes me play the drum"

I had a band when I was 15 years of age. I am the guitarists....and in our 1st Jamming Session...I told my drummer. I want to be the drummer and you can either be our Singer or take over my place. Everyone ask me why ... I said I love the Drum ... and I think I make a better drummer than being a guitarists. But honestly I had never played a Drum in my life...I just had that PASSION in me.

The next thing, I was laid a challenge by all of my band members...I was the youngest then. If I could be a better drummer than the existing drummer...I shall have the option of replacing him. We both went to his Drum Instructor, where I have to pay to learn and I am only given 2 months to do it better than him (our drummer only took up drumming for 2 months then). Naturally we are playing & learning the same stuffs. My band members accompany me & him in our practice.

The 1st time I play the drum ... I could just do it so smoothly and in less than 6 lesson of 1hrs each ....the instructor had nothing to teach me....I had finished his material (I guess he must be only an Intermediate Drummer too at that time, but I was indeed a fast learner and can read very well..everything seems to be co-ordinating, I was surprise myself. Needless to say, my instructor says I was good & cut for drumming to my band members) It is from here I know ...I will and should do better in drumming than any other instruments....that was good news ... the bad news is....I did not become the drummer of that band ... all band members disolve because of me (I was wrong too...but I was young)...from then on ..... Eric is my name & Drumming is my Game.

I went on to join other bands.

And today, if anyone of you here were to ask me...am I good in my drumming....I would say NO......I'm still not good enough, and I am now putting in countless hours of effort in perfecting my drumming....I won't ever be the best...but I will be one good drummer .... someday, somehow....and hopefully within a couple of years from now...That's my dream !

I strongly believed that - "Drummers Are Not Born" but "Are Made" ..... It takes a lot of hardwork to be good in drumming and hardwork bleed success. This still hold true to me. As such I've learn to respect good drumming - these drummers must have put in countless hours & effort to be where they are today....and they do derserve RESPECT.
Cheers my brothers

Last edited by RudimentalDrummer; 09-08-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:32 PM

I cant remember the day i sat down and thought "im gonna play drums". Cous i just have always played drums. It may sound a little stupid, but thats just how it is. I can still remember my first, blue, mickey-mouse set (or at least i remember the pictures), with cymbals and all. And before that, i used to just drum on the couch with those chineese-eating-sticks-things, you know. And it just developed from the couch to be a real kit, that i play now (i dont use the couch anymore). So i cant say for how long i have been playing drums or how i started.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:54 PM

I've never been able to sit still; I'm ALWAYS absent-mindedly tapping my feet, hands, fingers, teeth... to some ryhthm or song either on the radio or in my head.

AND there is always some kind of music playing in my head (right now it is Yes' "Hold On"). Some people might say that I'm possessed... yup: possessed with the spirit of music!

Last edited by DogBreath; 04-23-2006 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Edited to make the evil smilies go away
Old 09-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Pioneer Member

I was 11 when I wanted to play the drums. I thought they were cool and sexy, I still do. Plus it was a good way to get girls. I really got excitied and turned on when I heard a cool drum solo. I thought, man I've got to play the drums because that would be really cool.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:57 AM

i used to play guitar but when im listening to a song i always concentrate on the drums rather than the guitar riffs or chords so 1 day i decided to take drum lessons and after that i got addicted and obsess with drums, maybe its just the rhythms and different grooves that u can play that made me want to play drums, and its also good for your health because drumming is an exercise :)
Old 09-10-2005, 02:07 PM

I ewanted to play cuase in 7th grade trumpet sucked. So I got into percussion and at the end of 8th I got my first set. 2years later still usein it but sounds a lot better.

If I don't play my drums for over 2 days I get really sad. Any one else?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:25 AM

Music- first band that got me into drums are pearl jam,nirvana,a perfect circle, foo fighters and a lot more rock bands then after that my drum teacher let me listen to some fusion anf funk stuffs like galactic,tower of power,the meters, james brown, chick corea and a lot more :), i enjoyed listening to them.
Drummer- dave grohl,taylor hawkins,chamberlain,chambers,gadd,,freese and a lot more Styles- i like playing funk rock its fun, and rnb, pop, alternative, hip hop, some jazz, different kinds of rock, ballad
Inspirations- the thing that inspires me to be better is all the drummers out there that plays with emotion, plays with finesse, plays consistently, someone that plays for the music, and also have some technical skills whether he is a famous drummer or not :)
Old 09-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur drummer
I was 11 when I wanted to play the drums. I thought they were cool and sexy, I still do. Plus it was a good way to get girls. I really got excitied and turned on when I heard a cool drum solo. I thought, man I've got to play the drums because that would be really cool.
Kekekekeke ... true..true ...

"Woman believes that Male Drummers's are extremely Good & Versatile At Their STICKS !"
Old 09-12-2005, 05:52 AM

females...i mean, don't get me wrong, i love the music...but c'mon...let's be honest here...it's the females
Old 09-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Thomas Braas

My mother... maybe me too, but no, my mother...
Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Thomas Braas

The eeevil women....
Old 09-12-2005, 11:25 PM

my best friends older brother was in a band . he built a room in the cellar to practice in. he had a white pearl ludwig set, and his sticks were painted like a candy cane. at the time the peppermint twist was popular. he started giving lessons for $2 an hour. i dropped playing trumpet like a bad habit and took lessons . i stopped playing around '69-'70 but always kept drumming in the back of my mind. in feb. 2005 i bought my own set of ludwigs and started up again. it is so incredible!!!!!!!!! it's religion!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:01 AM

Well, I come from a musical family. My grandma was a master violinist and my grampa a master organist. My sister used to sit by the stereo speaker for hours and listen to Beethoven and Bach, and what do ya know? She is an amazing pianist today!

As for me, I would always be banging on things and singing "boom boom pssshhh!" when I was like 6 or 7 I would be asking my mom what that was in the background of a song and she couldn't point out the instrument because it was so quiet! And to this day, I still bang on everything! So it was sort of a given that I would play drums one day.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:47 AM

Well, when I was a young boy I had to be at least 3 years old I saw my dad play his old pearl set from there on until about the age of 15 and I knew that's what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Not as a hobby, I wanted to perform in churches, concerts, anywhere as long as I played my ass off. It wasn't only my dad it was being big fan of Dennis Chambers, Billy Cobham the greatest ambidextrous player in the world. I mean just the groove that I felt when I heard drummers, play I wanted to be a big part of that. I wanted people to hear me play and say damn that kid has skills. Most of all it was my dad though. He's the greatest.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
I ewanted to play cuase in 7th grade trumpet sucked. So I got into percussion and at the end of 8th I got my first set. 2years later still usein it but sounds a lot better.

If I don't play my drums for over 2 days I get really sad. Any one else?
Hey I feel you sloppy joe it gets so bad for me that I just play air drums. see me and my wife just moved to warner robins georgia and my drums are in storage, but I take my sticks everywhere I go. when i'm home i just watch drum dvds or dave matthews concerts and play along with carter. hey man if you're interested in talking about some drum stuff man or lady my email address is mrzeekydpg@yahoo.com. If not no worries I'm just desperate to be around fellow musicians.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig7584
Well its kinda wierd but my father played drums and when i was around the age of 5 i just started playing naturally. I have never had a lesson to this day and iam 21 years old. I am not the greatest but I consider myself good for never being taught a single thing. I guess it was just passed down from my father....

I was 3 when I saw my dad play it was the best sound I'd ever heard before. like you I have never had a lesson either. I guess it was passed down from my dad. I mean that dude could chop'em. I've been playing for about 12 years now I'm 23. we have something in common cuz.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:29 AM

One thing that keeps me going is that I have the tools to become not good but great and where I come from there is a very distinct difference. I started drums because even though I played trumpet i would always admire the percussion. There like the rebels of the group and could play powerfull things that blow minds away.