DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-22-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Mitch Mitchell

Hi all

I just made a search through the threads and found that there is'nt any about Mitch Mitchell imo the BEST jazz/rock drummer there has ever been BOY that man can groove.
Tell me your opinions on Mitch
Old 08-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Mitch Mitchell

Mitch was one of my primary inspirations when I was first starting to play, along with Bonham and Moon. He's one of those drummers who started playing jazz and then played rock, instead of the other way around, and I think a lot of my favorite rock drummers started out playing jazz or allowed it to influence their playing style in some way. I love the fact that Mitch was given free reign to do whatever he pleased on the Hendrix recordings, becuase his spirit really comes through and you can tell he's having a blast playing the drums! He has a very unique way of "rollin' and tumblin" over the kit, much like his hero, the late great Elvin Jones. And I found it interesting to learn that Mitch won entry in to the group by means of a coin tossed by the manger. If that coin had landed on the other side, Aynsley Dunbar would have been Jimi's drummer!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM

yeah man, mitch is kickass, my favorite drummer actually :)
also doesnt ever seem to get the respect and credit, all attention for 60s drummers is directed at moon, baker and bonham.

wait until tomorrow
castles made of sand
spanish castle magic
hey joe
love or confusion
are you experienced
fire
manic depression
izabella
crosstown traffic
gypsy eyes
3rd stone from the sun

man, there wasnt a thing the kid couldnt play, i might get to meet him for my university dissertation! that would be an immense honour :)

so yes, mitch can groove and swing like very few others (plus bags of creativity) and him and hendrix played beautifully off each other. made me realize the interaction possible between guitarist and drummer

peace,
Saif
Old 08-22-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter in the Dark
And I found it interesting to learn that Mitch won entry in to the group by means of a coin tossed by the manger. If that coin had landed on the other side, Aynsley Dunbar would have been Jimi's drummer!
while this is partly true (a coin was flipped and mitch's "side" of the coin won), aynsley dunbar was not preferred by jimi AND demanded 10 more weekly wage than mitch.
im glad mitch got it! :)
Old 08-22-2006, 10:04 PM

If at first your search is unsucsessful....(try try again)

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614
Old 08-24-2006, 05:42 AM

If it weren't for Mitch Mitchell,I wouldn't even be playing the drums.His work on the first three Hendrix albums is unsurpassed.My favourite Mitchell songs are Third Stone From The Sun,1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be),If Six Was Nine,Manic Depression,and I think I'll just stop there or the list will travel into next week...
Old 08-24-2006, 06:48 AM

I agree Mitch is overlooked a lot. He was one of my early influences, I can remember trying to play along to "Fire" when I got my first drum set. I really love how he brought jazz swing into rock, his style complemented Hendrick's style so well. I think that the rythum section of Redding, and Mitchell is one of the best if not the best in rock history. They had to be good to hang with Jimi!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey what a cooincidence that this thread was brought back up! I was just listening to Fire, before I came to the forum!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:22 AM

What kind of drumset did he play on at Berkeley in May 1970? Was it his Gretsch or his Ludwig one? Two months later at Maui he was playing a Gretsch double-bass kit. Funny seeing him play his double-bass Ludwig in a single-bass configuration in Woodstock...

He is one of the most underrated drummers as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Mitch Is awsome, may i remind you that he is still alive and kickin'!. I read a tribute to him in the "Rhythm" magazine, turns out he was taught by the great Jim Marshall, maker of Marshall amps! how lucky!
Little Drummer
Old 08-25-2006, 01:59 PM

Great, great drummer. Innovative, groundbreaking, fearless. If you watch those early Hendrix clips, nobody looked cooler then Mitch. He played with this great confidence that just stands out (even when performing next to Jimi!)

The best pic I saw of him was one where is he wearing the usual hippie outfit but also has Converse All-Stars on. Cool!

Does anyone have that image?
Old 08-25-2006, 04:33 PM

i like mitch's playing,but at times w/hendrix it could sound a little sloppy,but maybe that's because the drums were tuned(or recorded?) so crappy.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
i like mitch's playing,but at times w/hendrix it could sound a little sloppy,but maybe that's because the drums were tuned(or recorded?) so crappy.
I think you're partly right on this one. Playing with a musician as volatile and talented as Jimi Hendrix meant that things could (and did) get a little out of hand, but never so much that the music fell apart. As for the drums, realize that Mitch was coming from a jazz perspective and therefore tuned his drums up to achieve better projection. Modern drummers tend to tune their toms low and slack, so that's why the sound may seem "crappy" or foreign to your ear. I will concede that the recording techniques of the 1960's sound lo-fi in comparison to what we have today, but regardless of recording quality or drum tuning, Mitch was always in control of what he did and IMO never played at anything less than his best.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:27 PM

Mitch Mitchell really rocks. I especially dig 'Fire', but there are so many good tracks played by him. What did he do after the "Experience"?

Mapex Pro M
Aquarian Studio X
Zildjian K
Paiste 802
Zildjian Rock sticks
DA BEARS!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:32 PM

he was going to be in a band with Larry Coyell and Jack Bruce (of Cream) but it never materialsed. He had a short stint with a band called Ramatam, i think he played on their first album, more like his playing for Georgie Fame, (pre-Hendrix)

after that petered out, he didnt get up to much apart from playing in a band with Billy Cox, makes small appearances here and there, if i do get the chance to meet him, i intend to ask him about this in detail.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenvannin105
If it weren't for Mitch Mitchell,I wouldn't even be playing the drums.His work on the first three Hendrix albums is unsurpassed.My favourite Mitchell songs are Third Stone From The Sun,1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be),If Six Was Nine,Manic Depression,and I think I'll just stop there or the list will travel into next week...
I've got those three. Brilliant albums, but I think 'The First Rays of The Rising Sun' is probably Hendrix's and Mitch's best.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanedeliac
also doesnt ever seem to get the respect and credit, all attention for 60s drummers is directed at moon, baker and bonham.

wait until tomorrow
castles made of sand
spanish castle magic
hey joe
love or confusion
are you experienced
fire
manic depression
izabella
crosstown traffic
gypsy eyes
3rd stone from the sun

man, there wasnt a thing the kid couldnt play, i might get to meet him for my university dissertation! that would be an immense honour :)

so yes, mitch can groove and swing like very few others (plus bags of creativity) and him and hendrix played beautifully off each other. made me realize the interaction possible between guitarist and drummer

peace,
Saif
izabella was done by buddy miles. i love mitch's playing. fire, voodoo chile, voodoo child, wind cries mary, plenty more of em
Old 08-27-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrummerc
izabella was done by buddy miles.
yes, originally, but when Hendrix scrapped him, Mitch played it for all performances (woodstock, dick cavett show) and better.... ;)
Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Mitch Mitchell

Personally, he has influenced my playing enormously, and helped me realize the "bridge" of sorts that connects rock and jazz. His playing was extremely innovative, and although he is considered a busy drummer by some, his drumming, notably with The Jimi Hendrix Experience (I recommend picking up all 3 of their albums if you dont already own them) is always very musical and appropriately creative.Furthermore, in my opinion, he is one of the most underrated drummers of all time. His "round" interpretations of single strokes around the kit allowed for some unconventional and tasteful fills/drum licks, and he is a true testament of how much can be done with a traditional 4 or 5 piece jazz drumset. Anyone else out there in drum-world feel the same way?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahznightsky View Post
Hey what a cooincidence that this thread was brought back up! I was just listening to Fire, before I came to the forum!
Funny how that works sometimes aint it?

Mike
Old 01-25-2007, 04:18 AM

Fire is the song that got me into hendrix. me and a band that the place i take lessons from organized (picked the "best" of the students, for 3 different bands") played the song "fire" at a show. Went really well, and it was a hellova fun song to play to. Its got a fun, and funky beat, and its played pretty fast; all that making it fun!

Now im in love with hendrix. hendrix and led zeppelin being my two favorite bands.
Mitch has his own way of playing, and like mentioned earlyer, you can tell he was free to do whatever he wants, and really gets into it. also, like said before, when playing with jimi, they really go good together.

Some of my favorite hendrix songs (i have others, but theres nothing really special about the drumming in those): these are also in the "jammin" playlist on my ipod, that i play along to

Spanish Castle Magic
Foxy Lady (nothing crazy, but the groove is pretty fun)
Manic Depression
Fire (oh yes)
Ezy Ryder

Mitchel, as well as bonham, are the two drummers id most like to meet.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketman View Post
Great, great drummer. Innovative, groundbreaking, fearless. If you watch those early Hendrix clips, nobody looked cooler then Mitch. He played with this great confidence that just stands out (even when performing next to Jimi!)

The best pic I saw of him was one where is he wearing the usual hippie outfit but also has Converse All-Stars on. Cool!

Does anyone have that image?
Hes the first influence I had, I love all of his playing still to this day.. His playing on Third Stone from the Sun is outstanding

And drummerwannabe he was playing his Ludwig at Berkley, if you watch during "I don't live today" (my favorite live jam they did) it zooms out and shows the Ludwig symbol on the bass drum reso head.. I think thats at Berkley, I'll have to watch my DVDs again...
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminjohn View Post
Hes the first influence I had, I love all of his playing still to this day.. His playing on Third Stone from the Sun is outstanding

And drummerwannabe he was playing his Ludwig at Berkley, if you watch during "I don't live today" (my favorite live jam they did) it zooms out and shows the Ludwig symbol on the bass drum reso head.. I think thats at Berkley, I'll have to watch my DVDs again...
that picture always reminds me of the guy from even stevens
Old 01-31-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanedeliac View Post

Saif
I'm a big fan of Ginger Baker's work with Cream & Keith Moon's drumming with the Who but Mitch Mitchell's drumming with Hendrix is awesome!

I find it so much more energetic and exciting than if I listen to Cream or the Who.

Love his chops in the instrumental "Drivin' South" by Hendrix... very groovy beats!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 PM

Mitch has to be an awesome drummer playing for Jimi Hendrix
Jimi wouldn't take anything less
Old 02-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Pioneer Member

One of my favorite drummers of all time. His grooves are perfect with Jimi...a seriously amazing drummer...gotta love it.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Mitch Mitchell is probably the most underrated drummer in rock b/c Hendrix is the greatest rock guitarist, and possibly musician, of the 20th century. Even on a song like Fire, which is really Mitch's song, with (for Hendrix) relatively sparse guitar work, you can't ignore Hendrix's playing. But could any other guitarist have riden the choatic drum thunder that is Mitchell's drumming? The two were perfect musical partners. No wonder Mitch didn't play much after Hendrix's death--if you're used to filet, are you going to want ground chuck?

Despite playing straight eigth note rock (with a few exceptions, the brilliant 3/4 Manic Depression pops into mind) the guy swung as hard as any of the bop guys he grew up listening to--inserting little triplet based fills from time to time and really pushing the forward motion that swing/triplet playing sort of does on it's own.

One of my favorite Mitchell tracks is "Wait Unitil Tomorrow". If he just plays the skip notes on the ride, it's basically jazz.

Mitchell is to Hendrix as Elvin is to Coltrane: an emotional and technical player manning the rhythm section for a lead player throwing out tempo-fluctuating barrages of notes.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
Mitch Mitchell is probably the most underrated drummer in rock b/c Hendrix is the greatest rock guitarist, and possibly musician, of the 20th century. Even on a song like Fire, which is really Mitch's song, with (for Hendrix) relatively sparse guitar work, you can't ignore Hendrix's playing. But could any other guitarist have riden the choatic drum thunder that is Mitchell's drumming? The two were perfect musical partners. No wonder Mitch didn't play much after Hendrix's death--if you're used to filet, are you going to want ground chuck?

Despite playing straight eigth note rock (with a few exceptions, the brilliant 3/4 Manic Depression pops into mind) the guy swung as hard as any of the bop guys he grew up listening to--inserting little triplet based fills from time to time and really pushing the forward motion that swing/triplet playing sort of does on it's own.

One of my favorite Mitchell tracks is "Wait Unitil Tomorrow". If he just plays the skip notes on the ride, it's basically jazz.

Mitchell is to Hendrix as Elvin is to Coltrane: an emotional and technical player manning the rhythm section for a lead player throwing out tempo-fluctuating barrages of notes.
Ok here's a politically incorrect controversial statement - Jimi, ... the way he played chords, and riffs, and squeals, and growls, while singing, drawling and grunting those amazing songs,ALL AT THE SAME TIME, didnt really need anybody else. It didnt matter who played with him...It didnt matter If anybody played with him.

That was the power of his music. Yeah, there was Mitch and the Bass guy, and they were'nt bad but.....

ok, now you can shoot me

Last edited by aydee; 09-01-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Ok here's a politically incorrect controversial statement - Jimi, ... the way he played chords, and riffs, and squeals, and growls, while singing, drawling and grunting those amazing songs,ALL AT THE SAME TIME, didnt really need anybody else. It didnt matter who played with him...It didnt matter If anybody played with him.

That was the power of his music. Yeah, there was Mitch and the Bass guy, and they were'nt bad but.....

ok, now you can shoot me
BANG! Your dead.

No, but really I'm going to disagree. The thing is that Mitch Mitchell was so good with Hendrix is that fact that he complimented him so well and in some songs like 'In From the Storm' its as if they're having an instrumental conversation (if you get my jist...) I've already mentioned in another thread that my thoughts on Buddy Miles and the fact that I think he was a good drummer, but too solid and stiff, whichh really tied Hendrix down and didn't let him really 'get into it'. Yes okay Hendrix's music was INCREDIBLE, his presence unbelievable, his solos something else - but he was really able to do that BECAUSE of Mitch complimenting him, giving him space at times or building up the intensity with his powerful fills. Hendrix didn't call Mitch 'his Elvin Jones' for no reason.

I might agree with you on the bass players though, maybe not Billy Cox I reckon he and Hendrix worked well together, but Noel Redding - he didn't really interest me that much. Okay now shoot me.

EDIT: Haha, it's funny how opinions change - after hearing Band of Gypsies, I'm afraid I now agree with Aydee and I think Buddy Miles was actually a better choice for Hendrix.

Last edited by foursticks; 10-30-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Funny that nobody mentioned his only brush song (that I know of): Up From the Skies ... every time I'm practicing with my brushes that song pops into my head ... very tight & funky. Only thing that sucks about Mitch is there's so little of him on record!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Funny that nobody mentioned his only brush song (that I know of): Up From the Skies ... every time I'm practicing with my brushes that song pops into my head ... very tight & funky. Only thing that sucks about Mitch is there's so little of him on record!
The brushplaying in "Up from the Skies" is so great, that even Jack DeJohnette mentions it in his Drumclinics....

Listen:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/mi...hellupfrom.mp3

Bernhard
Old 09-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Story goes that Noel Redding was the one who suggested Mitch to play brushes on that one. He truly was a fine brush player - so crisp and tight.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
The brushplaying in "Up from the Skies" is so great, that even Jack DeJohnette mentions it in his Drumclinics....

Listen:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/mi...hellupfrom.mp3

Bernhard
The hats he's playing there sound amazing.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 PM

Default Mitch Mitchell

Perfect drummer for Hendrix.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 PM

as good at drumming as hendrix was at guitar
Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

They played off of each other well.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

They fed off each other.

How's this for one-line statements?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM

Great one, I love the guy. However, you should have searched first, here's the existing thread:
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...ighlight=mitch
from your
tv set

Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastershake16 View Post
as good at drumming as hendrix was at guitar
Really?........................................... !
Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 AM

Yes, aydee.

By the way, the search didn't work for me when I tried it, Tom Sawyer.