Gavin Harrison here!

Hello Gavin

Have you ever heard The Grudge by Tool? If so, what do you think of Danny's playing, especially in the ending drum-solo?

Question to everyone including Gavin:

The last few seconds of the Grudge drum-solo, Danny pulls off a amazing tomwork. It's only toms I think, perhaps a snare. I wonder if ANYONE (as there seems to be quite alot Tool fans around here) know excatcly how that short part is played? It's only 5 seconds or something, but incredibly hard to memorize how he plays. I would really, really appreciate it if someone would make a piece of drum-notes for those 5-6 secs, or perhaps a video where it is being played really slow.

Thanks for reading!
/Emil

This guy gets it pretty close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJHYgSs_fwA&feature=related

...except the part at about 0:35; this guy plays the alternating ruffs between the floor tom and double bass whereas Danny plays them between the snare and double bass.

On the recording, there are toms and snare, but sometimes Danny's snare sound can be deceptive as he usually plays with the snares off (at least from Aenima on).

It's a difficult piece to learn, but I just listened to it thousands of times until it got under my skin. I highly recommend trudging through it, as for me it is one of the most satisfying songs to jam on when I sit down to practice.

Hope that helps...

Hello Gavin,

I have little story for you...I started playing when I was 12 years old studied with Joe Morello for 3 years and did realy well playing across the US in a band of great guy's. Well I stopped playing to get Married and live a "normal" life....that was 25 years ago I now have 3 boys who play the guitar, and drums and I still have my original set of Ludwig drums circa 1965....

I have to thank you because I have stated playing again..I believe that alot is in your head anyway...but the real reason I started again is that my son's bought me tickets to the August 12 King Crimson show at the Keswick Theater and it was that night after seeing you that I knew I had to start playing again...I can not thank you enough, the show and your playing was inspiring....so I guess you never know who is watching your shows and what it means to some people. Well it was a wake up for me...

Any advise on tuning?????

again thanks a million !!!!!!

Chris D

PS My wife thanks you to Ha! Ha!

Ah. Awesome job then! Usually it's pretty easy to recognice your drumming and your style, but this time I struggled a bit....I'm always impressed by how you manage to find the perfect groove for every song. Keep up the good work!

When will the remixed version of your performance be ready? And were can I watch it?

Cheers!

Hi Chris D

but the real reason I started again is that my son's bought me tickets to the August 12 King Crimson show at the Keswick Theater and it was that night after seeing you that I knew I had to start playing again...I can not thank you enough, the show and your playing was inspiring....so I guess you never know who is watching your shows and what it means to some people. Well it was a wake up for me...

Glad to hear it. I'm very happy that you got some inspiration from my drumming.

Any advise on tuning?????

There has been a lot of discussion about this (you might want to search this thread) - but I can highly recommend the excellent advice that Bob Gatzen gives in his video clips on YouTube. I follow it closely.

Hi DTrocks

When will the remixed version of your performance be ready? And were can I watch it?

Early 2009 when it's released on DVD by Hudson Music.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin,

Do you still spend time on improving the feel and groove of very rudimentary stuff? (8th note rock beats, single stroke rolls, whatever)

Wherever your playing is discussed, you get almost universal praise, and rightly so. However, I've seen one or two instances of someone accusing you of overplaying. Are there any sections in any recording you've performed on that you look back on and think "that part was unnecessarily complex"?

Also, what do you think of Benny Greb? He and you might be my two favorite drummers right now. :)

Cheers,
kheddar

Hello again Gavin,

I was wondering, when you decide to play a song for a clinic, do you tend to play a little more, so to speak, since the focus is on you rather than on the song? Does the change of situation ever alter your approach so that you play involved or soloistic parts which you might consider "too much" in concert or on an album?

Also, I'm happy to say I'll be at PASIC this year! Other than your demonstration, will you be hanging around any other times to meet people, sign stuff, etc?

Thanks for all the inspiration.

Hi kheddar

Do you still spend time on improving the feel and groove of very rudimentary stuff? (8th note rock beats, single stroke rolls, whatever)

I certainly do - everything needs to feel as good as it can - whether that's playing paradiddles on a pad or an 8th note beat on a full set of drums.

Wherever your playing is discussed, you get almost universal praise, and rightly so. However, I've seen one or two instances of someone accusing you of overplaying. Are there any sections in any recording you've performed on that you look back on and think "that part was unnecessarily complex"?

The short answer is no. I knew exactly what I was doing - and at that time - I felt it was right. Sometimes in a live concert I play more than what I played on the record - but at the time (and in the context of the room, the audience feeling, the buzz, the adrenaline and spontaneous excitement) it felt right. If you wern't there that night and just heard some recording of it sometime later in the cold light of day - you might feel differently about it.

You can never please everyone. If you play a straight groove - someone will say you are boring and unimaginative - you might play something quite complex and creative - someone will say you overplayed. This is a form of art and personal preference - people's comments are of course subjective. I can only do what I think is right.

Also, what do you think of Benny Greb?

I know Benny and he's a great player.

Hi hauk

I was wondering, when you decide to play a song for a clinic, do you tend to play a little more, so to speak, since the focus is on you rather than on the song? Does the change of situation ever alter your approach so that you play involved or soloistic parts which you might consider "too much" in concert or on an album?

I try to play a balanced set of tunes at drum clinics. Obviously some tunes that feature the drums a bit more than usual. I certainly end up playing more notes than I would at a normal concert - because as you said - the focus is just on me. I don't really enjoy the pressure of the audience wanting me to show off - so I hardly ever play a solo. I realise that a majority of a drum clinic audience are beginners and amateurs who are more impressed with speed, flash and a very large drum set - than musicality and groove.

cheers
Gavin

I realise that a majority of a drum clinic audience are beginners and amateurs who are more impressed with speed, flash and a very large drum set - than musicality and groove.

That's interesting, how did you come to know that? Wow, I imagine I'd be totally unsure and probably in doubt if I could enjoy a clinic if I were to do one once...!
But I hope you (and other drummers who do clinics) try to play for the minority who want more than the above you listed:D!!

Last edited:
I read the Vinnie Colaiuta interview (very interesting) and I agree with a lot of the things he said. A lot of young/beginner drummers come to clinics - obviously because they want to learn something - but they are the ones who are most impressed with technique - so you can feel pressurized to play something fast and flash because it gets a good reaction. But I try to make something musical out of my clinics and steer clear of "fireworks and tricks". Maybe that's why I don't get so many offers to do clinics?
To me, when I go see a clinic, it's mostly like a "private concert", where surprisingly few people gather, sometimes even for free, and watch a favourite artist of theirs perform, whilst sitting intimately near to the musician! That I love about clinics. And the questions. By the way, I clearly remember your clinic in Switzerland, at Musik Produktiv in Niederlenz, you answered so many questions with long stories, humor and many examples. It was so great you took so much time for all that people, shared so much insight, and last but not least made us laugh out loud quite some times:)!

Gavin,

I have more of a personal question for you, than a question regarding drumming and whatnot.

I'm very confused on whether to pursue a career in music.Subsequently, Ive even put off going to Berklee school of music. I'm running into some(possible) record contract/radio play/touring opportunities with this band I'm in, but I'm not going to count my chickens before the eggs hatch. College verses running off with a band??. Everyone i know has their career planned out already(military, pilots,union jobs,doctors,etc) , all i can say is "yeah i played at the house of blues in Hollywood last month, it was bad ass!" I have support around me, its just that you get that general attitude from people, like you told them that youre going to win the lottery and retire as your career plan. I have no other career aspirations besides music. I don't know if i should be worried or what.

I dont mean to sound like a drunk prattling school child, i have years worth of frustration, and trying to condense it was hard . You're leading a successful career in the same field im interested in, so i thought you might have some insight?

all the best,

mike.

Hey Gavin,

Just wanted to say good luck with the upcoming tour (starting tomorrow).

I heard that you guys are digging deep in the back catalog, well if so....and if you haven't finalized it yet. It would be great to see you guys play Always Never, your drumming on the remaster for that album really makes it an epic track.

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Brent

Hello,
My current setup is a standard 5 piece Mapex Saturn (4 maple + 2 wallnut) the specs of which are
12x9
13x10
16x16
14x5.5
22x18

I want to add a couple of toms (1 rack, 1 floor) to this arrangement...what sizes would you suggest to get a similar range like yours (considering i have a 13 and you dont).

Also can you shed some light on Irrational Polyrhythms (an online link ?)

Cheers,
Hamza.

Sorry for the repeat, but I forgot one more question:
How long will your set be at PASIC?

Thanks again so much for all you do

Hi cantstandyourfunk

I'd love to know what keeps you inspired: because your playing, I'm sure, inspires thousands of people around the world.

Many things keep me inspired - and not always the drums or other drummers. Life, in general - design and architecture I find very inspiring. Look at how many amazing designs there are of watches and clocks for instance - and there's new ones coming every day. Thinking about things away from music - can really help you look at the drums from new angles.

Hi Zildjian232

I'm very confused on whether to pursue a career in music.Subsequently, Ive even put off going to Berklee school of music. I'm running into some(possible) record contract/radio play/touring opportunities with this band I'm in, but I'm not going to count my chickens before the eggs hatch. College verses running off with a band??. Everyone i know has their career planned out already(military, pilots,union jobs,doctors,etc) , all i can say is "yeah i played at the house of blues in Hollywood last month, it was bad ass!" I have support around me, its just that you get that general attitude from people, like you told them that youre going to win the lottery and retire as your career plan. I have no other career aspirations besides music. I don't know if i should be worried or what.

Only you can make these decisions - all I can say is that it will not be easy to make a career in music - and you might not make much money - but it might be so much more rewarding in the fact that you would be doing what you love the most. Being really good is one thing - being lucky is another - and basically you need to be both. So work on the first - and hope that the second comes along at some point.

Hi drumbumhamza

My current setup is a standard 5 piece Mapex Saturn (4 maple + 2 wallnut) the specs of which are 12x9 13x10 16x16 14x5.5 22x18

I want to add a couple of toms (1 rack, 1 floor) to this arrangement...what sizes would you suggest to get a similar range like yours (considering i have a 13 and you dont).

Then I would suggest a 10x8 and maybe a 14x14

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin, thanks for the most awesome show last Tuesday in Almada. Definitely one of the best gigs I ever went to, it was incredible!
The venue was very small, do you guys play small places like that often? I think it really helps the atmosphere, but I expect it wouldn't make so much of a difference for you guys up there? I was the person in the "John&Paul&Ringo&George" shirt and the Colin Edwin type hat in the first row, right in front of you and Colin, in case you noticed, lol. I know, not likely.

Your kit sounded (and looked) stunning, that finish is very funky. I think I noticed you now mount your splashes upside down, is there any specific reason for that? Or just because it looks cool? Also, your ride has the K logo on the underside, how old is it?

Once again thanks for taking the time to read this, thank you for the wonderful and inspiring music. All the best and good luck for you and the rest of the guys!

Was very nice to meet you after the Madrid concert, and thank you for sign my copy of Rhythmic Horizons. I´m very honored!!.
The concert was amazing, good sound, great ambient, PT's music is fascinating...My wife an I did enjoy to the limit...And your sound is killer!. One of the most discussed things here is, as you know, your snare sound... In records is great, but alive...From another world: Beautiful low tone with impressive crack, an impossible to define for me deep, and an unbeliveable buzz sound fron the snares...Take my applause Gavin!.

Your performance were simply one of the best i´ve ever seen -anesthesize shocked me!!-...And i´m lucky to have seen alive people like -no particular order- Tony Williams, Paul Motian, Dave Weckl, Steve Smith, Dennis Chambers, Marco Minnemann, Thomas Lang...

Take care, and please give my regards to the blonde woman who were selling shirts ans cds. She is very kind and nice!!!

Gus

Last edited:
Back