How do i get bass drum to take my full downstrokes?

dzarren

Hi, i have two kits, and im aware i was very unclear in my title.

So i have two kits, one is one i NEVER muffle anything on, and i like it wide open and my bass drum technique has eventually just gotten to the point where the beater naturally comes off the head. Its a combination of very high spring tension, and also me playing at least halfway down the pedal, usually more so. even if i rest my entire legs weight on the pedal, at the spot where i usually do my playing, the beater is no where near the head, so it stays well away, and gets there only due to the momentum i impart during strokes.

but i recently set up a new kit, well an old kit of mine that i used to gig but never do anymore. I would like it to have that feel where i can just jam the beater into the head and just use my whole leg, in a heel up fashion and just leave it in there, like i used to do when i first started playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMgTevFLrfU

thats a good example of what i want to achieve, being able to just lay into it, but still have it sound like a bass drum. I havnt played in this fashion since my very first kit, when i was in grade 6.

I wouldnt be able to do this on my other kit even if i wanted to, because like i said, the spring tension is so high even if i rest my whole leg the beater doesnt touch the head. But for some reason the DW5000 i use for my new small set up, even with the spring tension at max, with brand new yamaha springs, i feel like the tension is insanely low, i dont know if i just got used to really high tension, or if the yamaha springs just are longer than dw, therefore keep less tension at a certain length.

what combination of tuning and muffling would i need to get a nice feel where i can just lay into it, but not resort to hearing a slap and no tone? The video is a great example of exactly what i want out of my bass drum for this kit.
And also have the bass drum sound pretty much the same whether i leave the beater in the head or not.

I just reheaded the it at it has a clear emperor on the batter and an aquarian regulator on the reso. I went with the emperor because it was on sale for 20 dollars, and i thought it might match the rest of my kit, which is emperors.

Thanks for reading this monstrosity.

I only muffle with Superkick II or Powerstroke 3 and acoustic foam inside. Great playing btw.

Sorry thats not me! Thats just the bass drum sound i want! And feel too, i can see hes just leaving the beater in the head. not letting the beater rebound at all.

It can be any combination of things:
- low head tension
- ported reso
- low pedal/spring tension
- play farther up on the pedal

It can be any combination of things:
- low head tension
- ported reso
- low pedal/spring tension
- play farther up on the pedal

Hmm well im doing all of those things, i think i need to muffle the drum more, to have the head accept the beater without rebounding as much. But sacrificing tone. dang.

Change the beater angle or adjust the pedals cam if it has one.

It's funny you should post this, as I recently had the exact same issue. I used to gig a lot on a 22' bass drum, playing really loud, and always burying the beater. But it's been a good 8 years since I've done that with any consistency. Since then I've been doing a lot of playing on a wide open 18' kick. Recently I was playing a sort of variety show where we were doing rock tunes, show tunes, gospel type stuff, etc. so I pulled out the 22' Yamaha birch kick, and boy did I struggle at the first rehearsal. Here's a few things that I found helpful.

First off are you 100% sure that you want to bury the beater? You mentioned you don't want slap and you do want tone. Burying the beater is a pretty good way to get just the opposite of what you want! You can still get a pretty big sound without burying it. But if you're sure that that's what you want to do, I always find it helpful to think of the way the impact and sound moves through the drum. Your batter head is going to control the sound of your initial attack, and the reso head will control the tone. So if you want to bury the beater I would take some tension off of the batter head (and your pedal) so you're not working against it, and put some extra tension on the redo head to get the tone you want.

I really love the Aquarian Super Kick heads for this type of playing. They've got that built in strip of felt just to take out that nasty ring. Tune one of those up right, and you shouldn't need any other muffling, especially if you're trying to get some tone out of it.

Lastly, I would get your foot back up the pedal board. All the way up!

Also, bear in mind that the drums are miked up in that video. You may be striving for a sound that you're only going to get in the studio.

Hope that helps. Let us know how things work out for you.

Back