What people will pay

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Oh queso I've been on the prowl for a 16" legged floor tom. PDP CX series in white onyx (WMP). Yesterday I finally found one but I lost the auction by a few bucks. It sold for (USD) $302 plus $25 shipping. (Aussie guys are wondering why I'm whining) My last bid was for $300 and I'm glad I lost. $300 for a PDP floor tom? That's insane! What was I thinking? I'm not even sure if the legs came with it.

There are obviously a few people on the lookout for this particular drum in this particular finish, it's the first one I've even seen since I started looking about 6 months ago. I bought the whole set with a snare used, like 3 miles from my house (CL), for $125 minus the 10" tom which I got later for $100.

If I could find the wrap PDP uses I'd go that route. Just buy a mismatched floor and wrap that rascal.

Oh I like this kit Bo. I like it a lot better than my mid line Pearls. They record better all around and they are happier looking drums, nice and bright. Plus I got them cheap, $225 all told, even better. I have a 14" hanging floor, and it's good. I just prefer a 16 floor w/ legs. I'll bide my time.

Oh I like this kit Bo. I like it a lot better than my mid line Pearls. They record better all around and they are happier looking drums, nice and bright. Plus I got them cheap, $225 all told, even better. I have a 14" hanging floor, and it's good. I just prefer a 16 floor w/ legs. I'll bide my time.

Why not put the 14 on legs?

You never know what people are ready to pay when something is hard to find. I once bought a PDP 16" LX floor tom for about $150 and I think that's what it's worth. Someone must have really wanted that floor tom to pay $300. I'll keep you in mind if I ever see one.

Larry,

I was in your exact same situation. I had my white onyx 5-piece for about 5 years, and was ready to add the 16" floor tom. It took about 2 years to find it, scouring CL, ebay, checking with drum shops, etc. Finally one popped up on ebay with a buy-it-now and I grabbed it (I think it was about $160). Nobody carried the wrap at the time, but now it looks like Precision Drum Co's "Vintage White Marine" might be it. Good luck.

Larry, I'll bet if you look at some of the drum builder supply shops you can find a wrap very close to what you have on your set. Then just pick up a 16 floor tom and recover it. John

I've been casually seeking a 16" for my PDP M5 kit. They are horribly and disproportionately overpriced.

Why not put the 14 on legs?

Because it's not a 16. It's not the legs, it's the diameter. I'd get a hanging 16 if they made one

Larry,

I was in your exact same situation. I had my white onyx 5-piece for about 5 years, and was ready to add the 16" floor tom. It took about 2 years to find it, scouring CL, ebay, checking with drum shops, etc. Finally one popped up on ebay with a buy-it-now and I grabbed it (I think it was about $160). Nobody carried the wrap at the time, but now it looks like Precision Drum Co's "Vintage White Marine" might be it. Good luck.

Wow, I hope my story turns out as good as yours. I haven't seriously checked into matching the wrap, but that's next. Precision Drum. Good company. I'll check them and BumWraps out to see who can match it best.

Larry, I'll bet if you look at some of the drum builder supply shops you can find a wrap very close to what you have on your set. Then just pick up a 16 floor tom and recover it. John

Yea John, that seems to be the way forward. If I find another one it will likely take months and too much money. It's not THAT important, but the other day I came this close to dropping 325 on a dumb floor tom. I can get a 16 legged right now in the wrong color, so that's what I'm a-gonna do.

Same here. Been looking for a 16" floor tom for my eco-x for a while. I know I can still get one online or from dw, but im not willing to dish out $670 for one.

Just pulled the trigger on a 16 diameter x 14 depth PDP floor tom. It's an X7 (poplar shells with an outer layer of birch, CX are all maple. I'll deal with it.) Just under 100 shipped. With legs. That's more like it. Will be checking into WMP wraps now.

I believe poplar is a big part of the tone of 3 ply Ludwigs circa early to mid 70's.

My new Sonor Players kit, which I like a lot, is all poplar and they have a timbre that sounds darn close to my vintage 76 Luds. I think I read somewhere that the center plies is what gives the drum it's main timbre. That concurs with my experience with poplar because no drum sounds quite like my vintage Luds....except the Sonors.

Poplar, to my ear, is very clear and cutting. More treble for a given amount of lows is my perception.

Good for you Larry. I don't think you will have any problems with either rewrapping it or the sound. That was by far your best option. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. By the way I spoke from experience. I rewrapped a Mapex ProM 16 x 14 to match a set of PDP Cx's I had. Worked like a charm. Sorry I ever got rid of those. Isn't it funny how many time you see here "Sorry I ever got rid of those"? We could all have saved a bunch of money. Think I'll start a thread. ha ha

Oh queso I've been on the prowl for a 16" legged floor tom. PDP CX series in white onyx (WMP). Yesterday I finally found one but I lost the auction by a few bucks. It sold for (USD) $302 plus $25 shipping. (Aussie guys are wondering why I'm whining) My last bid was for $300 and I'm glad I lost. $300 for a PDP floor tom? That's insane! What was I thinking? I'm not even sure if the legs came with it.

There are obviously a few people on the lookout for this particular drum in this particular finish, it's the first one I've even seen since I started looking about 6 months ago. I bought the whole set with a snare used, like 3 miles from my house (CL), for $125 minus the 10" tom which I got later for $100.

If I could find the wrap PDP uses I'd go that route. Just buy a mismatched floor and wrap that rascal.

I think in these instances it is worth it. I've gotten new drums, then bought add on's (after they were special order only) bf, paid big money, but hey, its done and 'right' so to speak.

PDP FT for say $350? Well, if you really like the kit and really want/need the drum and that's what their going for (as in you can't get them (cheap) etc.) I think its worth it.

The other option is wait forever, maybe one will come up...again. The plus for shelling out is, its done and done right. The rewrap option is you're always going have to live with the fact that its not 'right', every time you look at the kit, you know its not the one, a bastid child FT, that's forever. The $350 is cry once. You always get more money, you don't always get the right FT, or a chance at one.

I would've popped for it, or at least that's the conclusion I've come to from being in the same situation. You get over the $, you never get over knowing the drum doesn't match.

Back