Question for Gretsch guys about a particular Renown set

incrementalg

Gold Member
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me when the Silver Slate Sparkle finish was produced in the Renown lineup? Was it a lacquer finish? I'm considering going with Renowns for my next purchase and came across a 4 piece set being sold as new by a dealer online. (not sure how reputable the retailer is or the validity of their claiming the kit is new) The exact model number is RN-M024-SL. Am I right in thinking this is a few years old?

The dimensions are:

6 1/2 x 14 Snare
9 x 12 Tom
16 x 16 Floor Tom
20 x 22 Bass Drum (probably more bass drum than I'd want anyway)

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me when the Silver Slate Sparkle finish was produced in the Renown lineup? Was it a lacquer finish?

Here's the 2012 price list -- http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/gretsch/gretsch_pricelist_drums_2012.pdf

You can see Silver Sparkle Slate was not available as a Renown finish-option anymore. I can't seem to find earlier price lists. The post above indicates 2007, so somewhere between 07 and 11.

I believe that it was a wrap, as their current sparkle options appear to be wrap.

Thanks for the responses. I've emailed the seller my questions as well and I'm waiting for their reply. Looking through threads here and on other forums I've read where some said wrap and others specifically said theirs were lacquered.

Here's the 2012 price list -- http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/gretsch/gretsch_pricelist_drums_2012.pdf

You can see Silver Sparkle Slate was not available as a Renown finish-option anymore. I can't seem to find earlier price lists. The post above indicates 2007, so somewhere between 07 and 11.

I believe that it was a wrap, as their current sparkle options appear to be wrap.

Thanks....this is really helpful. I think you're right about the wrap. I don't see anything from Gretsch to indicate any of the sparkle finishes were lacquered. The older posts where some said renown sparkle finish was lacquered made me unsure.

My biggest hesitation is the bass drum size. Ive never played a 20 X 22 before and I'm not sure that it will be able to articulate well.

There are times when manufacturers will produce a limited amount of finished for specific stores like Guitar center etc. If you look at the Catalina Club Classic in Musicians Friend and Gretsch home page you will see different finishes offered

I just found a 2008 price list that showed the silver sparkle lacquer as a premium finish option. The finish descriptions for that year referred to the renowns as having UV gloss finish.

I think it's entirely possible its a lacquer setup. Lets see what the seller says. The price is $1,000 even. Maybe high given the age, but if they're still new in the box?? The seller's site says they're an authorized Gretsch dealer, so it seems plausible they have these siting somewhere in a warehouse.

For a $1,000 I can also get an unused 2013 renown 5 piece shell pack sans snare. (from a different Gretsch dealer)

There are times when manufacturers will produce a limited amount of finished for specific stores like Guitar center etc. If you look at the Catalina Club Classic in Musicians Friend and Gretsch home page you will see different finishes offered

Thanks. This is helpful and makes me think it could be a lacquer finish.

Last edited:
Yes, it is definitely a lacquer finish. They offered a similar one at the time called Inca Gold. If this is a NOS kit, then it's probably 4 or 5 years old. I remember when MF was blowing out the remaining inventory a few years back. They were selling 5-piece kits (with snare) for around $800 in both of these finishes. I still regret not pulling the trigger on the Slate Silver Sparkle finish. Sometimes it gives off a purple hue which didn't appeal to me at the time, but now I realize this was a deal I shouldn't have passed up.

I have the 2007 catalog (linked above) and I cut n' paisted this in case you missed it.
The drums in question are a Lacquer finish

Very well made drums - they have the same hardware as used on the Custom USA drums that are made in the Ridgeland S.C Gretsch factory.

I would have the same concerns about the bass drum as you do. I have a Purewood Renown kit with the 1822 bd and with the hoops is't almost square. I would think the 2022 would be longer (wider) than deep. You have to be careful going through doorways haha. Just saying they're rather bulky. But, the tone...freaking canon! Everybody that hears my 1822 comments on how good it sounds.

Unless there is something off with the finish or other issues with the kit you're looking at here I'd say they would be worth looking at for the right price. I've seen the finish up close and it's very nice. The difference from the Custom USA finish is that the Customs are a Nitrocellulose lacquer finish that is painstakenly hand applied and the Renowns are a Poly finish. Nice too, but a completely different process.

Gretsch-formula rock maple shells
• Die-cast hoops
• 9025 hinged tom bracket
• GTS tom suspension system
• 30-degree bearing edges
• Silver Sealer shell interiors
• Die-cast BD claw hooks
• Evans G2 clear batter heads
• Evans EMAD on BD batter
Painted lacquer finishes

I have a Silver Slate Sparkle Renown Groove kit, 20,10,12,14,14sn bought new in 2009. Great kit, the finish is a polyurethane/sprayed on type finish The kits were on closeout at MF for around $1000.00

Attachments

• DSCN1386.JPG
    DSCN1386.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 393
Great drums. You'll be happy.

20X22 is a cool size. I never had an issue with playing it. Here's my final version of that kit before I sold it.

I have a Silver Slate Sparkle Renown Groove kit, 20,10,12,14,14sn bought new in 2009. Great kit, the finish is a polyurethane/sprayed on type finish The kits were on closeout at MF for around $1000.00

That's an awesome looking kit! The retailer has this one listed for $1,000. Seems high given that others say they were being blown out by MF at lower prices a few years ago. Then again, maybe they figure they can capitalize on the fact that these aren't made any more and someone like me would be drooling over it.

I haven't heard back from them yet, but when I do I'm going to make an offer an see if they accept. I'm excited by the idea of picking up such a beautiful kit. Been 12 or so years since I've owned an acoustic kit. I want my next to be my last.

Great drums. You'll be happy.

20X22 is a cool size. I never had an issue with playing it. Here's my final version of that kit before I sold it.

Thats a great looking setup! Thats similar to what I'm looking to do, but with one more tom. Maybe 2 up and 2 down or 3 up and 1 down.

Yes, it is definitely a lacquer finish. They offered a similar one at the time called Inca Gold. If this is a NOS kit, then it's probably 4 or 5 years old. I remember when MF was blowing out the remaining inventory a few years back. They were selling 5-piece kits (with snare) for around $800 in both of these finishes. I still regret not pulling the trigger on the Slate Silver Sparkle finish. Sometimes it gives off a purple hue which didn't appeal to me at the time, but now I realize this was a deal I shouldn't have passed up.

That $800 price makes me wonder if the $1,000 selling price is too high. Then again, if they're considered new...or at least still in the box that doesn't seem bad to me. I'm gonna reach out to the dealer and offer them a little less than their price. Maybe they'd be happy to clear out some boxes they've been sitting on for years.

They no longer have the set...they haven't had it in years, but its still listed on their site. Go figure.

The search continues!

That was a 2 up and 2 down kit. Ideal. I added the 14X14 and 9X13 later (which was cut down) to the original 20X22, 8X12, and 16X16.

Never missed the 10 with that set up. Sucks about the deal but there will be more out there. Keep in mind, any maple Renown will sound great. Try Inca Gold too.

If you decide to part with that kit in the near future..let me know.

Last night I did some searching online and found a expired ebay listing selling an Inca sparkle renown in groove sizes. I reached out to the seller and he still has it and is interested in selling. Waiting for some pics. He was asking a bit much, but given that it didn't sell maybe I can make a reasonable offer and take it off his hands.

Let's see how the pics look.

Back