How long does it take you to set up?

For me it depends on which kit I use and the configuration I choose from 4 piece up to 8 piece.

But for consistency's sake I'll talk about the two kits I have in a 5 piece configuration like John Bonham's

The old rusty and trusty cheap kit takes me about 15 min. Mainly because the hardware is pretty simple, the kit is light and most of all I do not have cases for it.

The newer Ludwig kit that I have can take up to 25 min because I've got soft cases for each drum (and taking drums out of the cases and putting cases away adds at least 5 min). I have a lot of memory locks for the hardware so that makes up for the time "lost" dealing with the cases. I also pay more attention to not scratch the kit while setting up so I move a bit slower when moving and setting it up.

Not counting loading/unloading time, about 20 min (not racing) to set up my 5 piece with double kick and 5 cymbals, woodblock and cowbell - excluding mics which I don't always use.
I've gotten faster due to the fact that I set up and break down about 3 times a week on average.

If someone helps me it always takes longer because they get in the way!

Loading/unloading time varies due to venue access, lifts, stairs and helpers.

Other issues arise when someone decides I need to move my kit after it is set up - I hate that! Or it a riser needs to be relocated or assembled before set up.

Honestly?

7 minutes.

I've been gigging with a 3 piece (snare, kick, tom on a stand) and 2 cymbals for about a year now. Twice a week, same venue. If I'm the first one from my band there I can do it in 7 (working pretty fast), if my bands there it'll take me anything from 10 to 20 (they take up a lot of moving room).

i usually take around 10 minutes to set up once all my gear is on stage. maybe 15 if i am using larger than a 4 piece and more than two crashes and a ride. i must admit that i pride myself in being able to set up fairly quickly.

It usually takes me about 20 minutes to set up a 4-5 piece with 2 crashes, a ride, and hats with all mics and the drum snake.
Sometimes if I'm trying something new or taking my time it'll vary...

But typically there's a pile of crap in the way or people walking around or the bass player needs help and I'm hauling in music stands and mic stands and someone is always saying "hey man can you run this cable behind you?" or some other such thing.

I always had fights for place in small venues. So a good trick for me is: I have a carpet now, which has exactly the measure i need. I look for my place, put the carpet down, leave for a chat or drink and come back later to set up....this helps a lot and eliminates discussions.

Bernhard

• A lot has to do with the kind of cases you have...
  • A lot has to do whether you have cases.
  • Also your cymbal stands can save time or can take a lot of time.

On the road back int he 80's I had a set of Rogers, but, I had Ludwig cymbal stands (circa, 1979). They were great. Solid as anything. In order for me to get them in the road case I had to take them completely apart. three base stands, three middle sections, three top sections and two of them had booms. It took me 10 minutes just to set up those three stands, plus 1 minute to load them with cymbls..
Three rack toms (2 on bass and one on single stand.) One floor tom.Two rototom set. Set of cowbells. Six mics.

• Comfortable pace: 35 minutes
  • Goofing off: 45 minutes
  • Gotta get it done: 17-22 Minutes

This was once everything was unloaded. The whole band and roady/sound guy was on duty until the bus was completely unloaded.

It was also my responsibility to set up the monitors which was something like a 12 in 6 out system. So my part of the entire set up was close to an hour if I didn't dally...

You know, we may have made more money gigging back then, but, man, we worked our butts off!

it takes me approximately forever to set up my kit. I have a 7 piece kit with 4 cymbals and hats, and it literally seems to take forever to setup like I want it :)

Bernhard

But typically there's a pile of crap in the way or people walking around or the bass player needs help and I'm hauling in music stands and mic stands and someone is always saying "hey man can you run this cable behind you?" or some other such thing.

I always had fights for place in small venues. So a good trick for me is: I have a carpet now, which has exactly the measure i need. I look for my place, put the carpet down, leave for a chat or drink and come back later to set up....this helps a lot and eliminates discussions.

Bernhard

lol i also use the carpet territory marker. i pack my car so that the first two things i take out are my rug and my bass drum and once those are down other gear (like damn guitar cases and amps stay clear.

Bernhard

Carpets are KEY for establishing your territory. I'll tell you, though, the drummer in one of my bands sets up his carpet before he loads in the rest of his gear, but it's always in the way of where I am about to set up my vibes, so I reposition it EVERY time we set up, and he's never said a word about it. I seriously think he doesn't notice...

Hee hee! :D

Carpets are KEY for establishing your territory. I'll tell you, though, the drummer in one of my bands sets up his carpet before he loads in the rest of his gear, but it's always in the way of where I am about to set up my vibes, so I reposition it EVERY time we set up, and he's never said a word about it. I seriously think he doesn't notice...

Hee hee! :D

I used to get so anal about setup there was one club we played at that when we got there and unloaded the bus, everyone else would retire for the night or whatever, I would stay and set up the entire band (about 4 - 5 hours) just so I could have the stage the way I wanted it..

It was actually very therapeutic, setting up everything by yourself

A carpet to save your spot... Who'd a thunk..!?!?! @:)

Agh i hate this question so much! >.< i have a 5 piece which i call the immobile piece of iron.
My set usually takes 20-25 mins to set up. my record was 15 mins. but this is taking it out of a car and down steps. and each piece is usually 10 pounds give or take about 5.
pearl 5 piece 2 cymbals unmicd.
(watches band set up his drums for him nowadays(i help them alot but... ))

Yeah, I hate setups and breakdowns. The actual setup time takes me about 20 - 25 mins (5 pc, 5 cymbals). But, I don't mind this part near as much as moving the stuff from my car to the studio which takes another 15 mins. So, I've got shortcuts like, putting all the hardware stands on the carpet and carrying the entire thing in. This makes it a single trip instead of 6 or 7...although it takes two people.. Then, stacking 2 or 3 drums at a time and carrying them in. If you have any good shortcuts for setup or breakdowns, I would be all ears.

It takes me about 5-7 minutes to set up my 6 piece, 2 crash, 1 china, 1 hi hat kit on stage. My rug is marked where everything needs to be and before my set, I mount all toms, cymbals and stands. When it is time to set up(we usually only get about 15 minutes to be set up and soundchecked), basically my kit is just put on stage, and arranged using my rug markings.

I usually am ready to go long before the guitar players are set up, tuned, pedalboards ready, their tone is right..etc etc...silly guitar players :)

I usually take the extra time to give the drums a quick re-tuning since I live in Florida, and bringing them from the humid hot outside to the cold dry inside throws off the heads a tad.

Hey Crew,

I never actually thought of "timing" myself for setup before I read this thread, but have come to these results:

Country band- 5 piece, single bass pedal--4-1/2 minutes. Tuning heads (if needed) add about 2 mins.

Both my rock bands- same as above, and including cowbell/music stand, double pedal, headset mic and amp, drum mics, extra crash cymbal and stand, harp mic and amp, tuning heads, 8 minutes average. Sound check add 1 minute.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers, but that Terry Bozzio drumset (to me) looks like nothing more than a vulgar display of wealth. Totally excessive, way overkill, hyper-showmanship, and just gaudy.

Rock forever,
C. P.

5pc ,3 Crash,Ride,HH.

I usually shoot for an hour. That includes arriving at the club..knowing exactly where to load in ...meet with owner~bartender..Most of our gigs are return gigs..Usually I'll enjoy a beer with mgmt while setting up ..talk about past gigs and other bands on the scene . I like to load in before the other band members..Makes it easier for all.

Back