Competition - early heads up for forum members :)

Guru Drums

Ok, nothing thinly veiled about this ;) We're running a competition! I'm travelling outside the country next week, & when I return, we'll be officially launching a video competition on our website & Guru Facebook page. It's free to enter, & the prize is a 13" x 7" In-Tense series steam bent English Ash snare, c/w protection racket AAA rigid case, delivered priority air to your door, anywhere in the world!

You'll have to work for it though ;) Entrants are invited to submit a video of around 1 minute duration demonstrating the sounds they can pull from their snare drum in a creative way. We're looking for expression using dynamics & a wide range of sounds, not blazing technical stuff. We suggest use of both snares on & snares off, rimshots, cross stick, etc to achieve this. Performance can be either solo snare or in a kit/alternative percussion context. Videos will need to be submitted to our Facebook page, either linked to Youtube or uploaded to Vimeo. Closing date for submissions is Sunday June 1st. The best 5 submissions will be selected by a panel of judges consisting of Guru artists, & the winner will be drawn live at the Manchester drum show on Sunday 8th of June.

To make this as inclusive as possible, the final 5 submissions will consist of videos from players with a variety of abilities, from beginner through to seasoned pro. Quality of visuals or audio will not feature in the decision either, but it must be clear & without distortion. In all cases, & following Guru's standards, all submissions must be unprocessed (no EQ/effects, etc). Hopefully, this means everyone stands a chance of winning, so get creative :) Submission details will be posted next week, c/w a full list of (sensible) rules.

For the interest of forum members (Mod's permitting), I'm hoping to update the forum with submissions as they come in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMkvmBq3Pw&hd=1

Attachments

• competition snare.jpg
    competition snare.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 824
Bollocks, I was hoping it would be judged on caek-making ability!

Bollocks, I was hoping it would be judged on caek-making ability!
Ok, we can't include baking skills, but I can't over emphasise how much we're looking for creative use of snare sounds. Additionally, as the best 5 entries will encompass the widest range of abilities, this really is a competition where anyone with some imagination & a camera stands a really good chance of winning.

We've deliberately chosen this snare drum too, as the winner will be rewarded with (in our opinion) the most expressive possible instrument :)

Wow great prize! What a generous offer Andy. I won't enter though, I have (almost) 2 Guru snares already. Will be watching the contest with great interest though.

You guys rock Andy! What a great idea. I'll have to do my greatest snare solo ever, but I'll git 'er done for sure. Thanks for the competition, and a chance to win a Guru snare.

You forum folks better bring your A game!!

Wow great prize! What a generous offer Andy. I won't enter though, I have (almost) 2 Guru snares already. Will be watching the contest with great interest though.
Thanks Larry :) Just to clarify though, the competition is absolutely open to existing Guru owners, but the the drums you currently play will have no influence on the results decisions.

You guys rock Andy! What a great idea. I'll have to do my greatest snare solo ever, but I'll git 'er done for sure. Thanks for the competition, and a chance to win a Guru snare.

You forum folks better bring your A game!!
Thanks :) Glad you like the competition idea. It's open to all drummers, of all abilities, & wether you're a member of this forum, another forum, or no forum participation at all. Neither Dean or myself will have any influence in the video selection, other than excluding submissions that don't meet the stated criteria (rules to be published next week when the competition is officially launched). The judging panel will be given the published judging criteria, & from then on, it's out of our hands. The final "draw" from the selection put forward by the judging panel will be conducted live at the Manchester drum show by someone with no connection to Guru Drums.

The only additional feature I'm still considering is including a public vote element. The most voted for video being given one of the 5 finalist places. I'll confirm that next week.

This isn't about baking, this is about how well you can cook
Now that is absolutely quote of the day, & very much in the spirit of this competition. We're looking for creative use of the variety of sounds you can get from a snare drum. Slick videos, presentations, amazing audio, blazing technique, great sounding drums - non of it matters in this competition. If your snare drum cost $1 from a yard sale, your video is recorded on a mobile phone, & you have no idea what a double stroke roll is, we don't care. It's your ability to embrace the palate of sounds on offer, & use those sounds in a dynamic way to weave something that makes the judges smile. It really is that simple - or is it ;)

This competition should be entered by MrInsanePolack with a vengeance. Here's your chance!

This competition should be entered by MrInsanePolack with a vengeance. Here's your chance!

This is definitely on my radar. Might be the only way to get my hands on one without resorting to robbery!

Absolutely!!!

This is definitely on my radar. Might be the only way to get my hands on one without resorting to robbery!
Remember though, the prize drum is a different spec to the "wanted" one in your sig. Think you just might be able to suffer with it though ;)

Last edited:
Single snare or multiple snares? I have a couple of ideas...

This is a really cool idea!

Single snare or multiple snares? I have a couple of ideas...
The idea is to pull sounds out of a single snare drum, but that can be in combination with other drums, such as a kit, some percussion, or indeed, more snare drums. That said, the judges will still base their decision mainly on the variety of sounds & their creative use from one drum, although context is a consideration too. I hope that helps :)

Think i got a cool idea for this but i'll wait till the rules are posted and if i'm actually able to pull it off. wich i'll find out next friday lol

The idea is to pull sounds out of a single snare drum, but that can be in combination with other drums, such as a kit, some percussion, or indeed, more snare drums. That said, the judges will still base their decision mainly on the variety of sounds & their creative use from one drum, although context is a consideration too. I hope that helps :)

Perfectly. I have a plan.

Back