Looking for a good drum book on blues drumming, how about Zono's?

hunterde

Looking for a good drum book on blues drumming, how about Zoro's?

I found Zoro's book "The Commandments of Early Rhythm and Blues Drumming" and it sound like a very good book for studying blue drumming. Any other suggestion?

Last edited:
My spelling of Zoro has now been corrected, thanks guys. I was never that big a blues fan until I finally heard a great blues drummer. If the drummer isn't laying down a solid groove the music just isn't happening.

This one is pretty good although pretty basic. It can give you a strong foundation in Classic Blues playing. This is a book I took for teaching, I would have thought it was too easy for me, but it is actually very good, and playing a good Shuffle looks easier than it is. Blues Drum Basics by Tom Brechtlein (who has played with Robben Ford for many years).

I also have Roscetti's book, but that wouldn't be my first choice, although it's worth having too.

Zoro's books (there's three) are great also and worth buying, but they are more R&B oriented.

Hi guys, and thank you for your comments. I'm looking at a few of Zoros books but, does anyone know if the following 2 items sold by Alfred Music Publishing contain the same book and play-along CD and the only difference is that the second listing also includes MP3 files? He also has a DVD which I've listed bollow, I'm wondering if the book is included or is it just DVD of Zoro playing?

The Commandments of R&B Drumming Item # 00-0110B-This is a Book and Audio CD Combination
The Commandments of R&B Drumming Play-Along Item # 00-32444-This is a Book and MP3 CD Combination (Is it the same CD as the above items just with added MP3 file)

The Commandments of R&B Drumming Item # 00-903185-This is a DVD (but does the book come with it)

Last edited:
Zoro's books are very much interesting and worth buying and studying, and they're all different.

The first book you listed has exercises and examples as well as three play-along tracks. It has an extensive discography of tunes and artists to listen too. It's just a great book with a lot of info.

The second one is meant as a collection of play-along tracks, but there's also more info on tunes and drummers to listen to, and it includes the three play-alongs from the first book, and it has many more very good quality drumless tracks to work on (Soul, RnB, Funk, Disco). Here's a video of myself playing along one of the tracks from that package: Jupiter, an Earth, Wind & Fire tune. http://www.timemanipulation.com/en/blog/files/jupiter.php

The DVD is interesting too, and Zoro plays along the tracks from the play-along book + CD package. Unless you get them as a bundle, I don't think there's any book with it. It was originally sold as three VHS cassettes, so as a DVD it's a more interesting deal.

Also worth mentioning is this book written by Daniel Glass, in collaboration with Zoro
http://www.amazon.com/Commandments-Early-Rhythm-Blues-Drumming/dp/073905399X

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner Alain. Thank you for the great advice. I have come to the conclusion that the Zoro books are more R&B oriented as opposed to blues. I did pick up the book by Daniel Glass and it was definitely what I was looking for, excellent book. Thanks again

I have 3 books by Zono/zoro/zoro. All good to great for a number of reason. My favorite is the commandment of the half-time shuffle. Why? It has a series of triplet based coordination studies. I play them to drumless tracks to keep it musical and I apply multiple hi-hat patterns to each exercise (quarter notes on the beat, 2 and 4, sychopated eights off the beat).

The result after about an hour a day for three months (still only on pg 36) I am finding every other drumset book easier regardless style or intent. Learning transcribed grooves is easier as well. My triplet based grooves are at a whole new level.

His other two book the commandment of r and b, and early rhythm and blues are great at providing historical and musical context. They are more about the evolution of various styles and grooves. These are great if you didn't grow up soaking in r and b.

Often the most important part of drumset instruction books are the foundational exercises in the first few pages. I used to rush past this in an effort to get to the "good stuff". If you really put the time and focused effort at the start then subsequent material is much easier and sounds better too.

So yeah. My recommendation is all three of that guys books however you spell his name.

Back