Ok I'm Back With ANOTHER One Of These Threads...

FINAL DECISION. What do you think:

My budget is around $2500, my parents are willing to pay a substantial portion of that figure if I do exceptionally on my finals, which I probably will, as I am working my ass off thinking that if I do well, I will have enough to buy:

Drums:

Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive SL Custom (Dark Desert Burst) 6-Piece

22" x 18" bass drum
10" x 6-1/2" and 12" x 7" rack toms
12" x 14" and 14" x 16" floor toms
5.5" x 14" snare drum

PDP Piccolo Steel 3.5" x 13" Snare Drum

(in the future I will be adding another 22" x 18" bass drum, as well as 8" and 13" rack toms, not sure about the depths on those.)

Cymbals:

Zildjian A Custom ReZo 14" Hi Hats
Zildjian A Custom ReZo 21" Ride
Zildjian A Custom ReZo 16" Crash
Zildjian A Custom ReZo 17" Crash
Zildjian A Custom ReZo 10" Splash
Wuhan 18" China

Hardware:

Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Pedal
Tama Iron Cobra Lever Glide Hi Hat Stand
Tama Roadpro Boom Stand x4 (Ride, 2 Crashes, China)
Tama Cymbal Arm with Clamp (for splash)
Roc 'n Soc Nitro Throne

Personally, I could not be happier with this future set-up, I cannot get it out of my head.

I've included a picture, for reference, of the kit with my DTXTreme incorporated to create a very cool hybrid set-up, which I think would go really well with hip-hop, funk, and metal playing. Also, if I ever wanted to trigger my bass drum(s), I'd have a brain at the ready.

Attachments

• Superstar SL Custom.JPG
    Superstar SL Custom.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 279
Anyoonnneee want to say what they think...? I dont want to buy ANYTHING if it's not going to last, sound good, etc., so I want expert advice on this...

It looks okay, the superstars are good drums but i would have thought for $2500 you'd have been able to afford something slightly higher range but honestly if you like them then you might as well buy them. The cymbals are realy great sounding but they are slightly thing but again if you like that sort of thing then it's good. If you want something a bit louder than maybe think about getting the 17 and 18" crashes instead? The hardware looks pretty good quality and sturdy too.

I'm pretty sure you could probably get better drums than the superstars for that sort of budget BUT really if you want it that much then you might as well not bother asking us. I know exactly how it feels if you really WANT to get something. It's like asking your parents whether you should go out with some girl. So yeah, all i'm saying is they're good drums and they'll do you fine for the long run, people have been using superstars since the 80s and they've lasted them this long. The superstars aren't as high range these days but it doesn't really matter, they're japaneese. Japaneese things last forever. Simple as that.

Mm im starting to have second thoughts about the Superstars, they're great, but... i've made the decision once and for all that I do in fact LOVE the feel of two bass drums, as well as the consistency. argh im going in circles again :mad: anyway: considering i have about a $2600 budget, I'm probably going to settle on the ddrum Dominion AMX 8-piece shell pack, with 24" bass drums.

Now, for cymbals, I've made some modifications:

For hardware:

Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide Single (2)
Gibraltar Double Bass Curved Rack

For cymbals:

Sabian AAX Performance Pack (20" Stage Ride, 14" Hi Hats, 16" AAXplosion Crash, 18" AAXplosion Crash)
Sabian 17" AAXplosion Crash
Sabian 10" AAX Splash
Sabian 13" Xs20 Hi Hats
Wuhan 18" China

Last edited:
Don't TAMA make 9pc double kick superstars?

I believe they do, but... actually I guess thats true. But wouldn't that be like $2000+? I mean, a 6-piece SL Custom shell pack is around $1200, so I'm guessing another $400 for the 2nd bass drum, and another $300 or so for two other rack toms... prreettyy expensive! However, I would look into that if the Superstar Hyperdrives were a LOT better than the Dominion AMXs, do you think they are worth the extra money?

right then. now i have another half-dilemma: what cymbals would you guys recommend to go with stage customs? im hoping to be able to get:

10" splash
14" hi hats
16" crash
15" OR 17" crash
18" crash
20" ride
18"-20" china

for under $1000. the hhx super set meets some of that criteria, but is there a different line of cymbals that have similar sound as the hhx's, but for a cheaper price? i noticed that aax's werent very much cheaper, neither were a customs.

anyone know anything about the sabian xs20s or apx's?

Apx's are great for the money.

What would you all say to this?

Drums

Mapex M Birch 6-Piece Drum Set

22" x 18" bass drum
10" x 8" free rack tom
12" x 9" rack tom
13" x 10" rack tom
14" x 11" mounted tom
16" x 16" floor tom
5-1/2" x 14" snare

Mapex M Birch "Go Large" Bass Drum + Floor Tom Add-on Pack

22" x 18": Bass Drum
18" x 16" Floor Tom

Cymbals

10" Sabian B8 Pro Splash
14" Sabian APX Solid Hi Hats
16" Sabian XS20 Medium Thin Crash
18" Sabian XS20 Medium Thin Crash
18" Sabian B8 Pro Chinese
20" Sabian APX Solid Ride

Hardware

Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide Single (2)
Gibraltar Ultra-Adjust No-Leg Hi Hat Stand

I'd say BARF.

Lol I can't believe myself, I've changed practically EVERYTHING about the potential kit ;) I was in the US about a week ago, at a Guitar Center, and I had a chance to play a Tama Rockstar, which is kinda an entry-level kit. I sat down and played for a few minutes, and WOW! It sounded like some of the higher end Tamas I've played, and when I closed my eyes I actually couldn't tell the difference!

That's why, as of now, I will potentially purchase the following (keep in mind that I am not very far away from this ballpark, as I have just sold practically all my video games, since I never played them):

Drums:

Tama Rockstar 8-Piece Shell Pack

2x 22x18 Bass Drums
8x8 Tom
10x8 Tom
12x9 Tom
14x14 Floor Tom
16x16 Floor Tom
14x5.5 Snare

Cymbals:

Sabian Xs20 10" Splash
Zildjian ZBT 13" Hi Hats
Sabian Xs20 14" Hi Hats
Sabian Xs20 16" Thin Crash
Sabian Xs20 18" Thin Crash
Sabian Xs20 20" Ride
Paiste Alpha 20" Full Ride

Hardware:

Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide Single Pedal x2
Tama Iron Cobra Clutch
Tama Hi Hat to Bass Drum Attachment Clamp
Pearl DR-80 Rack

Of course, some of the non-essentials, i.e. Cobra Clutch, 13" Hi Hats, will be purchased after the big purchase.

If you're wondering about why I'm buying two rides for the kit, a friend of mine has a Pearl Masterworks kit, I believe an 8 or 9 piece, and he has both an A Custom and an HHX ride on his kit. I played it and tried out both rides, and realized just how many doors having two rides opens! For example, the Alpha Full Ride will be good for rock and metal primarily, because it is a heavier ride, while the Xs20 Ride will be good for a more laidback sound, great for jazz etc.

So, am I missing anything/ what do you think?

Yuck. We've told you a million times to go high-end with the cymbals.

Hmm, true about the cymbals.

I've revised it again, this time hopefully will be the last time, although I think most of you will agree this is a better setup than before:

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive SK 6-Piece Shell Pack

22" x 18" kick drum
10" x 6-1/2" and 12" x 7" toms
14" x 5-1/2" snare drum

Pork Pie Pig Lite Acrylic Snare

Sabian AA Super Set

14" Hi Hats
20" Medium Ride
14" Crash
16" Crash
18" Crash
10" Splash

Wuhan China 16"

Tama Roadpro Boom Stands

Evans Coated EC2s and EMAD

What do you think?

THIS! THIS is what I'm talking about. This is a great setup dude.

FINAL DECISION. What do you think:

My budget is around $2500, my parents are willing to pay a substantial portion of that figure if I do exceptionally on my finals, which I probably will, as I am working my ass off thinking that if I do well, I will have enough to buy:

Drums:

22" x 18" bass drum
5.5" x 14" snare drum

(in the future I will be adding another 22" x 18" bass drum, as well as 8" and 13" rack toms, not sure about the depths on those.)

Cymbals:

Wuhan 18" China

Hardware:

Roc 'n Soc Nitro Throne

Personally, I could not be happier with this future set-up, I cannot get it out of my head.

I've included a picture, for reference, of the kit with my DTXTreme incorporated to create a very cool hybrid set-up, which I think would go really well with hip-hop, funk, and metal playing. Also, if I ever wanted to trigger my bass drum(s), I'd have a brain at the ready.

Wow. Another change in thought?

Mm im starting to have second thoughts about the Superstars, they're great, but... i've made the decision once and for all that I do in fact LOVE the feel of two bass drums, as well as the consistency. argh im going in circles again :mad: anyway: considering i have about a $2600 budget, I'm probably going to settle on the ddrum Dominion AMX 8-piece shell pack, with 24" bass drums.

Now, for cymbals, I've made some modifications:

For hardware:

For cymbals:

Sabian AAX Performance Pack (20" Stage Ride, 14" Hi Hats, 16" AAXplosion Crash, 18" AAXplosion Crash)
Sabian 10" AAX Splash
Sabian 13" Xs20 Hi Hats
Wuhan 18" China

MAKE UP YOUR MIND. We help you with one thing and the next SECOND you want us to waste our time telling you about something else.

Really dude, just make up your mind....

MAKE UP YOUR MIND. We help you with one thing and the next SECOND you want us to waste our time telling you about something else.

Really dude, just make up your mind....

I know, I know, you're right. I looked back at the Superstars, and I'm going to go with those. I'm also going to go with AAXs. Sorry for all the mind changing, this is my first legit acoustic kit (i've been rockin a DTXTreme lately, my first acoustic kit sucked so much i dont even want to talk about t), and I don't want to regret buying anything, so I've been weighing my options so much that I over-changed my mind.

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive SK 6-Piece Shell Pack

22" x 18" kick drum
10" x 6-1/2" and 12" x 7" toms
14" x 5-1/2" snare drum

Pork Pie Pig Lite Acrylic Snare

Sabian AA Super Set

14" Hi Hats
20" Medium Ride
14" Crash
16" Crash
18" Crash
10" Splash

Wuhan China 16"

Tama Roadpro Boom Stands

Evans Coated EC2s and EMAD

Drums:

22" x 18" bass drum
5.5" x 14" snare drum

Cymbals:

Wuhan 18" China

Hardware:

Roc 'n Soc Nitro Throne

For drums:

ddrum Dominion AMX 8-piece shell pack, with 24" bass drums

For hardware:

For cymbals:

Sabian 10" AAX Splash
Sabian 13" Xs20 Hi Hats
Wuhan 18" China

Good. Now pick one =)

I know, I know, you're right. I looked back at the Superstars, and I'm going to go with those. I'm also going to go with AAXs. Sorry for all the mind changing, this is my first legit acoustic kit (i've been rockin a DTXTreme lately, my first acoustic kit sucked so much i dont even want to talk about t), and I don't want to regret buying anything, so I've been weighing my options so much that I over-changed my mind.

My personal choice would be the superstars also and I plan on buying them this year. We'll see though

My personal choice would be the superstars also and I plan on buying them this year. We'll see though

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with Superstar SL Customs (6 piece with another 8" tom, maybe another 18x22 bass), Sabian AAX cymbals, Trick Dominator pedals, Tama Iron Cobra hi hat stand, Evans coated EC2s and EMAD.

sound good?

also, should i get a rack? or stands...

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with Superstar SL Customs (6 piece with another 8" tom, maybe another 18x22 bass), Sabian AAX cymbals, Trick Dominator pedals, Tama Iron Cobra hi hat stand, Evans coated EC2s and EMAD.

sound good?

also, should i get a rack? or stands...

A rack would be VERY expensive. Are you going to be gigging? If so, then no, don't get the rack.

Sounds good to me.
That's exactly what I wanted to do .Get the 6 piece then add another 8" tom just to have it available if I wanted to use it.

A rack would be VERY expensive. Are you going to be gigging? If so, then no, don't get the rack.

Sounds good to me.
That's exactly what I wanted to do .Get the 6 piece then add another 8" tom just to have it available if I wanted to use it.

Well, you're part right about the expensive rack, but when you think about all the cymbal stands and arms, for a good quality boom stand, that's about $70-$80 for one. If I needed 4 or 5 of them, that's already around $300-$400. A rack is around that price, is it not? Like the pearl ICON and the Gibraltar Double bass rack.

as for the gigging aspect, probably not that much. so since its staying stationary, it might be a better idea, eh? nothing will be falling over or moving...

Well, you're part right about the expensive rack, but when you think about all the cymbal stands and arms, for a good quality boom stand, that's about $70-$80 for one. If I needed 4 or 5 of them, that's already around $300-$400. A rack is around that price, is it not? Like the pearl ICON and the Gibraltar Double bass rack.

as for the gigging aspect, probably not that much. so since its staying stationary, it might be a better idea, eh? nothing will be falling over or moving...

Yeah, if you plan to have a monster set up, get a rack. I like the 3-sides, rounded Pearl Icon rack.

Well, then yeah, I'd probably get the rack.

Back