Tama Starclassic VS Sonor SQ2 Series

I think you can´t go wrong with either. I currently have a Starclassic performer birch/bubinga, wonderful drums. But you´ve got many options with the SQ2´s (and a bigger price to pay) and some over-designed hardware ;=)

SQ2 vs. Starclassic? Not even a contest in my mind. Functionally, the SQ2's are a little better and probably sound better to most people, but the extra advantage in function doesn't justify the price difference. However, the unlimited customisation available, the quality of everything on the set and the fact that it's something unique do it for me. I would gladly pay out of my nose for one. It's that they have that extra 'something special' about them.

SQ2 wont win as far as value-for-money goes, but in every other department it would be a cut above the Tama. IMO they arent even on the same playing field.

Last edited:
Hell that is a difficult question. I love both brands, and these series. I already checked the SQ2 line out and I`m highly impressed. The sound is lovely. Warm, good sustain...and so unique!!

...hey, but in the end I would go for the Tama anyway. It is my dream kit. Don`t know why but the sound is pretty incredible. =)

Tama my friend, Tama. It has a very very own unique feeling and sound when playing it...just like made for me.

Karl

I'm with Damo on this one - the Starclassics are fine drums and Tama is an innovative company that has made some real moves forward with mounting and hardware design, but the SQ2s take the whole "custom" idea to another level. I'm curious that you have even placed the drums in the same category, given their price differentials. Anyway, good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide...

for the money, its the starclassic. while the SQ2's are impressive, i agree that the cost difference does not warrant any gains you would see or hear. And as MFB sort of implied, unless it is a dream kit and you are willing to pay for that "certain something", then the starclassic will serve you well.

personally a sonor SQ2 does not do too much for me in the emotional tug dept., but I am a fan of DW, so I know what its like to pay for that feeling.

I'm curious that you have even placed the drums in the same category, given their price differentials.
Mapex Saturns would keep up with a starclassic by all means, and they are half the price so the price difference doesnt really give a great indication of performance, unfortunately.

Hail Perth. :)

Here comes another car metaphor....
Starclassics = Cadillac
SQ2 = Bently

Last edited:
BENTLY
BENTLY
BENTLY
BENTLY

not played the SQ2 but have played the s-classics (ithink thats the one)
but i loved sadly not enuf money to buy one but go with either sonor or mapex fopr a kit you just cant go rong..

I just ordered an SQ 2. I went with Sonor because of the unbelievable amount of options.I got the Steve Smith sizes. Heavy Birch, with Rosewood veneer inside and out.
Unfortunately this kit cost me several thousand dollars. But if you've got the money to buy the 'Ultimate Drumkit". Then Sonor is the ONLY choice, I wouldn't even consider Tama or any other company over Sonor. All IMO of course.
Good luck with your search.

BENTLY
BENTLY
BENTLY
BENTLY

not played the SQ2 but have played the s-classics (ithink thats the one)
but i loved sadly not enuf money to buy one but go with either sonor or mapex fopr a kit you just cant go rong..

Look at all the spelling mistakes in this reply, interesting you criticize my one mistake...

I'm with Damo on this one - the Starclassics are fine drums and Tama is an innovative company that has made some real moves forward with mounting and hardware design, but the SQ2s take the whole "custom" idea to another level. I'm curious that you have even placed the drums in the same category, given their price differentials. Anyway, good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide...

Sound.
I love the sound of both.
I could get a HUGE starclassic.
Or a smaller SQ2.
I love the sound of both.

Hey,

it like the most people in here said.I would definitly go with the SQ2. They sound better, they are looking better (personal opinion) and the are more unique!
But they cost much more. If you got the money, go with Sonor, if you don´t got the money, take the Tama.
I guess that Tama Bubinga Omni Tune would be as good as the Sonor SQ2.
Both have different vantages.

All in all, take the Sonor SQ2!

Lg
Tobi

SQ2 without a doubt. Both kits are great, but I would definitely pay the extra money for the Sonor. The SQ2 is the only kit of Sonor that I liked.

I will put in my 1/2 cent of advice. I currently play a set of new Sonor Designers(One of last ones made before they stopped makeing them) and I would have to say that is does sound amazing and is super super beefy. My only complaint is that they are heavy and very expensive. If you are okay with getting your drums beat up from playing out then go with the SQ2. IMO the sound is superior to the Tama's. I think that Tama make incredible drums that are great sounding and road worthy but the SQ2 series are a work of art. If you are thinking of spending that much coin, I would also consider Brady. If I didn't have my Designers and Delites I would definety get a Brady. Brady's have one of the most unique signature sounds I have ever heard and they too are works of art. I would ask yourself the following questions before you decide to sell your body for a set of drums:

1. Are my finances stable?(If you can't pay outright for it, don't buy it)
2. If I get a scratch on these drums will I have complete mental breakdown? (if so go for the Starclassic, it will hurt but not hurt as bad)
3. Is this the last set of drums I plan on buying? (If so, better get what you want)
4. How important are finish options?(is your dream finish something that only one of the manufactures can create or can both?)
5. Which hardware do you like the best for both looks and funtionality? (The Sonor stuff is a bit over engineered, but is the most adjustable hardware I have seen)
6. What can of sound do I want? e.g. maple, jarrah, karri, birch, bubinga or beech
7. What kit can or can not live without?
8. What would I be giving up to buy a very expensive set of drums? e.g. girlfriend, trip to fiji, food, left testicle, Drum lessons. If you have to give something up for a set of drums it may not be worth it. Remember it just a set of drums and there will always be something newer and better coming out down the road.
9. How important is having a super custom set?

I know this seems like an over analysis just for a set of drums. But DUDE, this is a decision that can affect things in either a postive way or negative way(wallet). If money is not a deciding factor go for the SQ2 if it is look at something else like the Starclassic or there is beautiful set of Yamaha Custom Maples in red sparkle on Ebay right now. If I had the dough I would buy them because they are sweet.

J.

Also, even though you probably want an individual sound, a lot of guys choose to play yamaha (not that it was one of your choices, just an example), and they could have any set that they wanted for free, so it just goes to show you that a kit that costs less can sound superior to someone. Also, even though there is a difference in the sound between the two (haven't heard the SQ2, just the designers), the musician can make a crappy set sound pretty sick(within reason). just my $.02

My SQ 2 will be here in about 3 and a half months. You should know that the average waiting time for an SQ 2 is about 6 months, but well worth the wait!
They're expensive but worth every penny.
I agree with the previous poster in that you should pay off the kit immediately.
IMO, putting it on a credit card on a limited budget might take a couple of years to pay off.
My .02 cents

Back