Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

I've found that sexist comments regarding drumming are usually due to ones own short comings.

Volume is directly due to velocity and stick weight, not arm density or torso strength. I recommend you find a good teacher that knows these basics.

I'm not talking volume, I'm talking control and stamina. And I wouldn't describe anything I've said as sexist. I'm sorry to say, but men and women have different bodies. That means we each have physical strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not talking volume, I'm talking control and stamina. And I wouldn't describe anything I've said as sexist. I'm sorry to say, but men and women have different bodies. That means we each have physical strengths and weaknesses.

Everyone has different bodies, with a full spectrum of attributes. I assure you, any generalization that you've been told about strength, stamina, intelligence, weight, reaction time, etc... they're all completely wrong.

A good exercise, just so that you can wrap your head around the concept, is that the strongest woman possesses greater strength than the weakest man. The second strongest woman is still of greater strength than the second weakest man. It goes on and on till you begin to see that the delta is not as great as we have been taught to imagine.

What you're saying is not sexist, and is the popular belief held by almost everyone since the beginning of time. It is, however, incorrect.

This is ridiculous. If you think the differences between men's and women's bodies have any bearing on ability to play the drums, you don't know anything about playing the drums.

This is ridiculous. If you think the differences between men's and women's bodies have any bearing on ability to play the drums, you don't know anything about playing the drums.

Well said.

The truth is that the less "strength" you rely on the better you sound.

Not that I think Ms. Cohen's drumming is particularly noteworthy, but that has nothing to do with her gender.

I like the videos where she's wearing those little corsets and sports bras and fetish gear while sitting behind those big drum sets she has. Wowzers. Someone definitely knows what they're doing here. Surely a career in the movies beckons my well-backed friend.

It is easy to forget how very very few female drummers there were at Karen Carpenter's time... I'm sure she would have played drums a lot more if she were let out her box more. Drums are still a masculine instrument for most people, so its great to see so many great female drummers ... even if they are still talked about in terms of their looks.

Regarding Meytal: You can hear her play a bit without the backing track at the en of this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOIbXofCEGE

Its definitely her, and not edited that much. She is playing mostly tension free (though I'd want to tune up that bass technique) .... she isn't playing with a ton of energy, though. It seems to me her playing could have a bit more of an edge... but that is personal taste and I expect with the right balance of real musicians around her I'd love it. Many great drummers... and even more great bass players are the same way.

I do think that she wouldn't get so much attention without the look, but having a look has always been a part of the game.

Indeed. Those bass drum notes together with the snare are definitely not tight, she flam's them, so I guess it's her :)

No you were talking about 'muscle' and 'extra bulk of male torso'. Review and re-read your own posts. Or were you referring to the value of a beer-belly in drumming? Oh wait....some women have beer bellies too.

A real plus for Ms. Cohen: I've received an FB notification that she will be performing with Doug Wimbish and Victor Wooten at the Behringer booth at NAMM on Saturday. Guess where I'll be?

I'll be honest...I've never been blown away by any female drummer. I'm not even talking about heavy drumming - the instrument takes muscle; it seems to require there be some weight attached to the arms.

If there were a Hall of Fame for inane comments, that one earns itself a prominent place.

Sorry for my earlier rant-and-run post! I'm glad I made a few people smile. I figured some of you could relate. :)

I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks for all the links.

I've discovered Meytal a few years ago... and yes Mo, the way she dressed herself on those vids with the fan blowing in her hair and those look at the camera is certainly targeted at a male audience and it work to a point, yes she can play, no doubt about it, but the recipe's always the same and most of the vids are in the same format, which after a while is kinda boring... so I moved on.

There's one YT female drummer I'm keen to follow tough, Anika Nilles, this relatively newcomer is really good and she write her own stuff too, she just put a vid announcing her forthcoming vid this month, I can't wait to see it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEaDBHmuPDY

For those who haven't seen her in action, here's a link to all her official vids :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1AK3pClMialeTVYKBDs5MKZkw_VThRTA

At my age I'd feel guilty looking at a girl her age. And since I don't want to see Maude playing the drums, I guess I'll settle on watching a nice middle-aged well dressed Gal who can really play.

At my age I'd feel guilty looking at a girl her age. And since I don't want to see Maude playing the drums, I guess I'll settle on watching a nice middle-aged well dressed Gal who can really play.

Are you talking about Sheila E or our Madge?

Yes and yes and Terri Lynne and Hilary Jones too!

Back