Big Blue Masters next to Little Blue Ludwig...

jeebustrain

Hi, it's been a while since I posted here, but this is my masters BRX kit. It's mainly a "home kit" these days, but I have been playing off and on with a fusion band doing some jam band type stuff...

here is a drum cam version of a slower tune - I kind of took the approach that Bozzio did on the "Sun Road" on the first Bozzio Levin Stevens album (although nowhere near as good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw6XxngsFZc

This is a mixed version of one of our improvs - we've been going back and trying to learn this one as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzNsWmajz0

I recently moved the drums into my living room - kick drum to kick drum with my 3 year old son's kit. I'm in the process of going through a divorce right now, so it's helping me bond a bit more with my son in the process - help keep him occupied so he's a little less confused about the whole mess.

Drums:
Pearl Masters BRX (ocean sparkle)
22x18 kick
9x6 slingerland concert tom (rewrapped and remounted)
8x7 tom
10x8 tom
12x9 tom
14x11 floor tom
16x13 floor tom
12x5 Pearl Sensitone steel snare (w/ Attack Jingle Head)
14x5 Hoyt Spalted Myrtlewood segment shell snare
10x6 maple Popcorn snare (custom painted - mounted w/ optimount as a snare/tom)
(there's also a 14x6 Tama Bill Bruford on the floor that I occasionally use)

Cymbals (Paiste) - L2R
9" Deco Gong
17" Prototype Crash w/ 6' Bell chime inverted
5" bell over 7" bell (custom cut from 17" and 18" sound formula full crashes)
8" Twenty mini china stacked on 8" toy brass cymbal
8" Signature Splash
12" 502 splash inside 14" Sound formula
16" Dimensions Thin China
18" Traditional prototype china
19" 2002 Thin Crash
13" Visions Full Hats
Cup Chime #4 inverted over 10" Sound Formula Micro Hats
Cup Chime #6 inverted over 8" 2002 splash
Cup Chime #7 inverted over 8" 2002 bell
Cup Chime #5 inverted over 10" signature splash
Cup Chime #1 inverted over remote hats - 16" old Alpha china top, 16" Old Alpha Crash bottom
8" Accent cymbal over 6" Accent cymbal closed x-hat
22" Traditionals Prototype ride
20" Sound Formula Thin China
14" Visions China
20" 2000 Mellow china (right side up with rivet chain)
16" 2002 Thin Crash

Son's Kit
5 piece Ludwig Jr
Hats: 10" Sound Formula Reflector Splash over 10" Innovations Splash
Crash/ride: 14" Old Alpha Thin Crash

Anyway, onto the pics:

IMG_20110507_175609_livingroom.jpg

IMG_20110507_175626_livingroom.jpg

IMG_20110507_175641_livingroom.jpg

IMG_20110507_175654_livingroom.jpg

IMG_20110507_175700_livingroom.jpg

IMG_20110512_193409_jacobdrums.jpg

IMG_20110512_193425_jacobdrums.jpg

IMG_20110512_193441_jacobdrums.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jeebustrain,

Your Masters BRX kit is absolutely stunning in Ocean Sparkle!
Wonderfully awash in a sea of Paistes too!
It's really neat that "Little Blue" is face to face with "Big Blue", for some bonding time. :)

Awesome looking kit. Never seen the hi-hats before, nice cymbal setup.

thanks man - you mean the Visions? Yea, they're the best hats I've ever played... I'd always wanted a pair since I heard Bozzio play them in the early 90s (and saw them in a shop). Could never afford them when I was a kid. Then about 6-7 years ago, I snagged this pair for like $82 on ebay and they were in almost perfect shape (short of some label wear).

Man, a Pearl and a Paiste player? What a rarity you are around here, and what a sight for sore eyes! :p

Your kit makes me disgustingly jealous. I'd love to have that much stuff.

I hope your son becomes a great player because of you!

Man, a Pearl and a Paiste player? What a rarity you are around here, and what a sight for sore eyes! :p

Your kit makes me disgustingly jealous. I'd love to have that much stuff.

I hope your son becomes a great player because of you!

thanks man... I'm absolutely in love with the sound of paiste cymbals and have been collecting this stuff for almost 20 years. I generally don't break cymbals either, so they tend to last a while. I have a bunch more stuff (more cymbals, snares, and another kit - a purple Tama Rockstar DX) in the basement. I'm also a packrat when it comes to drum stuff, so it tends to build over time.

My son absolutely loves the drums. I got him that kit for his first birthday and he's been playing almost every day. I've been trying to teach him some stuff, but 3 year old attention spans are what they are. He loves to watch me though and seems to be picking up bits and pieces here and there. But yea, he'll be kicking my ass by the time he's 14.

BTW - I just realized I forgot to include my 10x6 popcorn snare in the equipment list. It's mounted as a tom. It's on the list now.

Jeebus---that may be one of the nicest Pearl kits I have seen on any forum in the last several years. I recently returned to Pearl with an awesome swap with a guy on Craigslist several weeks ago and could not be happier. The Paiste cymbals are a dream for me one day. I will go Signatures all the way if I ever hit the lottery! Ha! In any case, best of luck going through your divorce and the bonding you're doing with your son now will never be forgotten by him. Good job being a dad. Now for the technical...if I'm seeing your kit correctly, you appear to be a righty but you play your left sided bass with a lefty double pedal. I see that allows for better tom/cymbal placement as well as ease of movement. Right?...if so, I have done that setup for about two years now and it works like a charm for me. I have played a four piece for years and enjoyed it's close placement of everything, but once I moved to more toms I needed to rearrange everything and moving the bass to the left just made sense. Sometimes thinking outside the box is ok too. Again, great looking cymbal/kit setup and best of luck going through this trying time. BTW, here's the kit I rocked for several years...I'll be arranging my "new" Pearls like this soon.

Attachments

• 320leftybopkitget-attachment.aspx.jpg
    320leftybopkitget-attachment.aspx.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 406
Jeebus---that may be one of the nicest Pearl kits I have seen on any forum in the last several years. I recently returned to Pearl with an awesome swap with a guy on Craigslist several weeks ago and could not be happier. The Paiste cymbals are a dream for me one day. I will go Signatures all the way if I ever hit the lottery! Ha! In any case, best of luck going through your divorce and the bonding you're doing with your son now will never be forgotten by him. Good job being a dad. Now for the technical...if I'm seeing your kit correctly, you appear to be a righty but you play your left sided bass with a lefty double pedal. I see that allows for better tom/cymbal placement as well as ease of movement. Right?...if so, I have done that setup for about two years now and it works like a charm for me. I have played a four piece for years and enjoyed it's close placement of everything, but once I moved to more toms I needed to rearrange everything and moving the bass to the left just made sense. Sometimes thinking outside the box is ok too. Again, great looking cymbal/kit setup and best of luck going through this trying time. BTW, here's the kit I rocked for several years...I'll be arranging my "new" Pearls like this soon.

Hi - yea, that's the idea with the pedals. I've always wanted to do this. I'd like to eventually have Pearl make me an 18" kick that I could put on the right side with an additional pedal. I also used to rock a trigger pedal down there as well, so it makes that easier, too. I've been trying to get better with left leading stuff (both foot and hands), but I don't get as much playing time as I did when I was a teenager, so it's hard to make a ton of progress on that.

I've been a member on here for a while - I guess there aren't a lot of Pearl or Paiste players here? Hmm, I'm a lot more active on the Pearl Forums, so I guess I'm just used to that.

Funny thing about the signatures - I used to LOVE (and still do) the Sound Formulas. But a lot of the Signatures I'm not really that fond of. I think they're all nice sounding cymbals and all, but they're just too "perfect" sounding. I recently got the 8" signature splash on ebay and I'm finding that I much prefer the "bite-ier" sound of some of my 2002, even though the Sig blends perfectly with my 10" splash (which I do like).

Nice kit man!

Wow, that's one great kit and some great playing!!!
But, do you have a cowbel??

Bram

ha - actually I do - it's on the left pedal (the silver Iron Cobra). I also have a few other cowbells, but I'm not using them ATM - NO ROOM!

actually, I could probably make room if I tried.

that got me thinking... maybe my boy needs a black beauty on his kit or something. My LP Mambo bell is bigger than his head.

Back