Are you influenced by what your favorite drummers endorse?

Especially when I was younger I was probably more influenced by what my fav drummer was endorsing. As someone has already said, I believe that there are some who endorse because of their experience in knowing a good product.

As I have gotten older, and more expierenced myself, I go more for the sound of the instrument rather than who is endorsing it.

I can relate to Bermuda in that there are some instruments that I would not touch just because of who is ensorsing them! I won't mention any names, but a new recent cowbell comes to mind! ;)

As far as the drum companies "fooling themselves" in getting endorsers who may not be selling gear, trust me, I'm sure they have done their homework. They are not going to participate or invest in marketing strategies (endorsers) that do not sell.

Not with kits, but snares and cymbals I'm definitely guilty of wanting based on my favorite drummers. But I pay more attention to equipment that my favorite drummers actually use rather what they simply endorse. Sometimes, it the same, but I'm getting a 14x5 Supra because Gadd used it, but I won't touch his sig snare with a 39 foot pole.

Normally I'm listening to a track that one of my drummers is drumming on and I tell myself, " I really like his snare sound, and the way his cymbals compliment the groove." Then I research the equipment he was using, tuning, etc, and add it to my wish list.

I'm fully aware that I'm not going to sound like Gadd or Clyde when I play my Supra, or sound like Zig when I play a chrome over brass Gretsch snare, but those are classic snares that I'll be able to make my own as a part of my own sound thanks to those past groove machines.

I was when I was a kid. I bought the brand of equipment my favorite drummers played.

Today, all I can say is, I search for a sound. If my idols got a certain sound out of their drums and cymbals, then to the extent that playing the same gear would help me achieve something similar, I guess I can see myself chasing that.

But just to play something because someone I like plays the same brand? That's not a motivating factor for me.

I haven't bought things because my favourite drummers "endorse" them, but I have bought things because I like the sound of something one of my favourite drummers has, look up the exact model they use, and get that.

I was. I got into Tama because of Stewart Copeland, but it was really Billy Cobham and Earth, Wind, and Fire first. And they just happened to make a cool product and I stuck with them while experimenting with others throughout the years. But I'll rotate through Ludwig too. I'd still find the occasional Slingerland if they were still in business too. But as much as I liked Tony and Max, I was never really a Gretsch guy. So I guess my answer is that I'm not really into the product because of the players, I just like well-built stuff.

They are not going to participate or invest in marketing strategies (endorsers) that do not sell.
Of course, that's mostly correct, but there are reasons to work with artists other than their ability to bring in orders. Good quality feedback, R&D involvement, event assistance, are all areas that we regard as right up there in such a relationship. Ok, we're a small company, so it's a different focus for us. Equally, mass manufacturers who have an offshore built entry level line really put the efforts into targeting younger customers through popular drummer endorsement. Not all endorsement deals are the same, & what each party expects to get out of such an agreement varies considerably from company to company, artist to artist.

I was inspired to play Gretsch and Zildjian because of how Vinnie sounded with them. He also inspired me to get my walnut Longo snare. That's what I still prefer though and I certainly won't follow hom on the Ludwig/Paiste choice. I'm not a fan at all.

I will stick with Gretsch/Zildjian because of my own taste, but Vinnie's sound on those instruments was the initial influence.

I also have one of his old Yamaha snares, which I use all the time. Great sounding and versatile drum. With that one, a 4160 and my Longo I think I could get by in any situation. It's nice to have a few more, though.

This line of thought ruffles my feathers. I feel it is a big dumb down, corporate brainwash, lemming like behavior. I am influenced how drummers play, what they choose to play, first and foremost. That's it. The brand of drums they play, I can't help noticing but that's where it ends. I know that a drum is all about what the drummer does to get the best tone from it, not the brand of drum. (Except GURU's lol) I've never had a favorite drummer, I liked things about them all. A good percentage of everything I heard in my formative years, talking strictly sonically here in terms of drum tone,...I thought I could do better. I mean some of the crap drum tones (talking recorded music here) on a lot of my most nostalgic tunes, upon current listening, have much to be desired, just as I thought when I heard it. All my opinion of course. There were some great drum tones too, don't misread me here. Rare Earth's "I Just Want To Celebrate" had a killer drum sound. Loved Ringo's sound, Frank Beard, Motown, to name a few. But there is some great drumming done on crap drum tone for sure.

It wasn't till I came here that I realized how much focus gear gets, I mean even over the player. Like it's more important. So naturally I rebel against such thought because I think that the brand of gear is not even on my list of what I consider important about the drum experience. How they head it, tune it, and play it I scrutinize sharply though.

I am on a quest for my idea of the ultimate drum tone, not anyone else's.

To be very candid, my core philosophy is along the lines of that one line in Hendrix's "If 6 was 9" (One of those magical first take gems)

"Cause I...got my own world to live through...and I... ain't gonna copy you"

F what kit anybody else plays, that's my view on it. What are they playing? There's my focus. What are they thinking? How much ability do they have? Are they feeling the music? Does it all work together to sound good or not? What's the net result of their effort? Is it making the grade or not?

The interesting thing is, some of the great drumming we hear from our favourite drummers was done on studio kits where we did not see the kit/cymbals they were using, and in fact differs from what they are seen in public with. Many many examples, especially in late 60's early 70's. I follow what they are using but don't copy it,

I've heard my drum sound improve with the upgrades in gear I have done (esp. thanks to words on this site), but any improvement or not in my drumming has nothing to do with that. At some point the equipment does not matter any more.

not at all, Im influenced by what my ears hear and how certain products work best for me. Apologies to the marketers.

F

If it wasn't for ads, interviews and linear notes I wouldn't know anything but the crap kit at my local music store and what the school band used even existed.

I certainly sound better on my gear that on that stuff.

I am on a quest for my idea of the ultimate drum tone, not anyone else's.

I've come to enjoy the fact that there is no "ultimate" drum tone... for me, for you, anybody. The sound of my drums should compliment the specific song I'm playing. The more sounds I have at my disposal the more potential I have for fun and creation. If I had to say it, my favorite snare tone is a 14x5 with die cast hoops cranked really high, but I can't use that on every tune. Some things call for a phat Al Jackson Jr back beat, or a woody Steve Jordan crank, or a huge pillowy 14x10 bubinga stave.... I'm not on a search to my ultimate snare sound, because I don't think one exists.

Nope...I'm more influenced by the gear I see here. I am influenced by the playing of my fav's though. But if you want to see gear, new, vintage, high end, low end, whatever, this is the place! There is no better place than where drummers of all levels get together and talk about their gear, show their gear, posts video and sound clips of their gear than right here.

Man, I thought guitarists obsessed about gear but I don't think they can hold a candle to us drummers!

The interesting thing is, some of the great drumming we hear from our favourite drummers was done on studio kits where we did not see the kit/cymbals they were using, and in fact differs from what they are seen in public with. Many many examples, especially in late 60's early 70's. I follow what they are using but don't copy it,

If it's a pop song (or country), chances are it's not even the band's drummer on the recording.

....Today, all I can say is, I search for a sound. If my idols got a certain sound out of their drums and cymbals, then to the extent that playing the same gear would help me achieve something similar, I guess I can see myself chasing that.

But just to play something because someone I like plays the same brand? That's not a motivating factor for me.

+1

It's all about the sound to me as well. I don't give a rip who does, doesn't, has or has not played it.

I played what my uncle played and I got his hand me downs. He was my favorite drummer for a long time when I was a kid. I think the only drummer I paid enough attention to growing up was Bonham. So I knew what he played. I knew Ulrich played Tama. I've never been much of a Zildjian fan though. Not for any particular reason, just always found a Sabian or Paiste that sounded better, IMO. Plus, JB played Paiste and my uncle played Sabian probably because Bill Ward plays Sabian. I also saw Bermuda in a pic with some Sabians, and Portnoy plays Sabians. I even have his signature 9" Splash. What a great Splash it is too.

I've never thought much of Pearls growing up. Everyone played Pearls, and I'm not everyone. But then I saw my uncle get a set of Pearls the last time he got a set, and I started thinking maybe they aren't that bad after all. So now I have old Pearl copies. He played some Yamahas too, a nice set, but they got ripped off right out of the back of his old VW Bus. That's his fault for being too lazy to haul them inside after the gig. HB is full of crime now. I never thought about getting Yamahas. I had a TT500 for awhile if that counts for anything. Man, what a thumper that bike was.

I like the fact that NP plays almost the same stick as I do. I would buy his signature stick if it wasn't for the fact that I prefer nylon tips.

But now after reading a few things on this website, I don't think any of my future purchases will have anything to do with who endorses them. Although I am intrigued with these Amedia cymbals and I know where to find them. I have Keep It Simple Andy and his clips to thank for that. Not exactly a favorite drummer (no offense, Andy), but certainly a favorite character on DW.

I have looked at products I would not have otherwise due to someone I respect metioning/endorsing it....that includes CDs/bodies of work...I found Porcupine Tree from a Peart comment....

I have never blindly purchased due to an endorser.

Directly, no.

And I suspect most people don't.

But indirectly, most drummers purchase well known brands because they are well known. They are well known because of all the advertising we see, and the brand names being on the bass drum heads of various players we respect. Few of us spend big money on drums or cymbals no one has ever heard of.

So, no, I've never bought anything just because so-and-so used it, but everything I have is because I became aware of it because endorsed it at some point.

Ludwig, Tama, Pearl, Yamha, DW, Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, etc etc wouldn't be top selling brands year after year if people had no clue what these brands were. People are aware of these brands, in part, due to endorsements and assorted favorite drummers using them.

The only drum product that I was directly influenced to buy was my Ludwig Classic Maple drums in white marine pearl. The reason, because my dad played Ludwig drums in that same finish and taught me on the same kit. Other than that, I'm not influenced by what anybody plays.

Dennis

Back