What is your Double Bass Drums speed ??

Tambor Latino

What is your 16 16th notes per bar speed after 6 years of practice on Double Bass Drums ?? After vote please add if you play: - Two Bass Drums or Double Bass Pedal ? - Heels (feets) down or heels up ? - Quarte notes or eith notes with hands ? - Your favorite Double Bass prayer: Mike Portnoy - George kollias - Romain Goulon - Chris Adler - Pete Sandoval - Marco Minnemann - other.

My favorite double bass player would have to be Tim Waterson, the man is mythical, stuff of legend. But I'm catching up at about 175 on a good day. Then comes Tommy Lang,

I used to use two basses but gave that up long ago, along with the double bass playing, so I've only been doing it for a year now with a double pedal. It's fun, but not something I use a lot in my playing.

You have your good days, you have your bad days. The other day I was able to play 16ths at 208 BPM for 15 seconds, (so that's 208 strokes) but today I can barely play 180. I play all heel up. It's a double Pedal, not two bass drums. My favorite double bass players... I love Nicholas Barker, another big inspiration is Derek Roddy, Martin Lopez is great, Kollias is fun, Raymond Herrera, of course the epic Lombardo, also in his earlier work Brann Dailor had some great stuff.

Mine is like, 1,000,000! I'm so fast. zooooooom!

sorry guys for that. I just finished a project for school and I needed some fun.

I really don't know what mine is because I don't play double bass although I do have the coordination for it.

Mine is like, 1,000,000! I'm so fast. zooooooom!

sorry guys for that. I just finished a project for school and I needed some fun.

I really don't know what mine is because I don't play double bass although I do have the coordination for it.

haha, you should try it out, if it's not your main aim it's fun. I don't just try to be fast with it but keep the feel right. Every once and a while I try to do speed runs, but many a time they turn out awful. There are so many different factors that go into it. It's just one more skill to have.

haha, you should try it out, if it's not your main aim it's fun. I don't just try to be fast with it but keep the feel right. Every once and a while I try to do speed runs, but many a time they turn out awful. There are so many different factors that go into it. It's just one more skill to have.

yeah, I am eventually. I just don't have the time or money right now.

I played two bass drums for a while...then shrunk the kit and went to the double pedal. I could play faster then.

I can still hold 190+ for a while, but I'll never write it into a song again (at that speed)

Heels up (not way up, just up).

Favorite double bass drummers. Dom Fomularo, Perry Strickland, Charlie Benante, Virgil Donati, Vinnie Paul, Derek Roddy, Igor Cavalera, Tommy Aldridge...just to name a few.

Attachments

• inf.bmp
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,703
What is your 16 16th notes per bar speed after 6 years of practice on Double Bass Drums ?? After vote please add if you play: - Two Bass Drums or Double Bass Pedal ? - Heels (feets) down or heels up ? - Quarte notes or eith notes with hands ? - Your favorite Double Bass prayer: Mike Portnoy - George kollias - Romain Goulon - Chris Adler - Pete Sandoval - Marco Minnemann - other.

I can do 16ths at around 180 bpm, but I've only been playing drums for 1 year, 7 months. At that speed, the volume drops kinda low, though. It's still usable, just a little quiet. I play a Gibraltar Avenger double pedal with heels up. Don't really have a favorite player.

I would say that I would prefer to MASTER one foot first before getting to two, which will never really happen, so yea, i prefer to stay with one foot. :)

last week i just cut a clean 210bpm and if i go in short bursts i can hit about 220,watching george kolias ,and derrik roddy have really helped me,but my favs are and always will be good old vinne paul and gene "the atomic clock" hoglan.

Right now, compared to most of you who've posted, I am pretty slow. Probably around 140 or something.

I just started playing double bass again after almost a decade. I played double bass from 1991-97, switched to single for the next 9 years, and then last year started again when my old band got back together. So I'm really just building the strength and speed back up. Right now it's more important for me to get back a good level of endurance and consistency before I work on sheer speed.

One good thing though, is that the 9 years of playing single bass and using the hi hat, have given me a lot of insight that I'd never have had if I'd kept up my double kick chops all that time.

(I play heel up, and can do both quarters and 8ths with hands. I use a double pedal.)

What is your 16 16th notes per bar speed after 6 years of practice on Double Bass Drums ?
It was a long time ago, but Id say my speed was

SUFFICIENT

I would say that I would prefer to MASTER one foot first before getting to two, which will never really happen, so yea, i prefer to stay with one foot. :)

I used to think that, but now I believe that the sooner you learn it the better because it builds up your off foot more than a hi-hat pedal will, so it'll help your overall playing and coordination quite a bit.

I can hit 200bpm cleanly, I can go up to 210 but not for too long. My favourite players are the more progressive/jazzy metal drummers, like Sean reinhart, Charlie zeleny etcettera. Flo mounier's always been favourite of mine to.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

And the winners are Ozzy and Damo.

First of all, I'd like to thank my parents for letting me practise at home for all those years, also my sponsors for all the support on and off the road, god for being the almighty and enriching my life, my various drum teachers over the years, you've been great, my friends from home, school and college, and anyone else I've forgotten.... thank you!

First of all, I'd like to thank my parents for letting me practise at home for all those years, also my sponsors for all the support on and off the road, god for being the almighty and enriching my life, my various drum teachers over the years, you've been great, my friends from home, school and college, and anyone else I've forgotten.... thank you!

I THINK YOU FORGOT.... YOUR FACE!

*Childish laughter*

Uhhmmm............you knew this was coming...........

WHO CARES?

Meaning........who cares about speed? I just don't get it........the whole WFD thing, ....the speed "infatuation" .........No offense....I can appreciate it, and respect it if you got it....but I just coulnd't care any less

Back