Can anyone recommend the "warmest" sounding metal snare?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I'm sure it's a matter of opinion, but I thought I'd still ask.

I am looking to pick up a metal snare, and have considered thus far the DW Edge. It's a bit pricey, but it seems to have that mix right in between wood and metal (Brass, I think).

I'd like to keep it around $350-400 (Edge's are running around $600+, used even).
I've tried a few metal snares, but they're a little too "bright" for me.

Looking for 14in, minimum 5" deep.

Thanks again!

I recently heard a basic Pearl Sensitone snare at a live show and was kinda surprised at how warm it was. I thought it was something a little more pricey, but I think one can be had used for $100+ or so.

To my ears any of the copper snare drums curently available, are probably going to be your best bet...they sound warmer and darker than the other types of metal snares...

+1 on the copper. A nice copper snare is on my list right after a Black Beauty. Thomas Pridgen used a 6.5x14 DW Copper (cast I think but not positive) on the two Mars Volta records he did and it's one of my all-time favorite snare sounds.

I played a steel snare for many years before ever getting a brass (Pearl Sensitone 6.5x14) which I immediately fell in love with because compared to steel it's very warm and sweet. It's ringy though, which copper has a tendency to have much less of.

My Bronze is definitely warmer than the Brass snares.
It's louder than the aluminum, but it's warmer than that metal too.
Mine is a Ludwig, 6.5 (LB552).

The LM306 (Black/White badge version) would be the same tone as the standard Keystone, and it's within your price range new at $325 (the general price) for the 6.5 size.
Used it would be even less.

The 5" version is a bit less too.

Copper and bronze are the two metals that have a warmer sound. Although these run more expensive than steel, brass and aluminum, they sound great and are worth it. Some options:

Pearl Sensitone Elite Bronze (discontinued but still available by some sellers) (14x5 or 6.5, $260/$280)

Yamaha makes a few copper snares: Roy Hayes Signature (14x5.5, $480), Mike Bordin Signature (14x6, $650) and the standard copper snares (14x5.5 or 6.5, $345/$350).

Tama has 1 bronze and 1 copper: Signature Gladiator Snare (bronze) (14x5.5, $400) and standard copper snare (14x5.5, $480)

Ludwig Bronze Supraphonic (14x5 or 6.5, $625/$600)

Sonor makes 2 bronze: Danny Carey Signature (14x8, $680) and Artist series bronze snare (14x6, $2400, lol)

Gretsch Antique Copper Snare (14x5 or 6.5, $600/$620) and Solid Bronze Snares (14x5 or 6.5, $1350/$1450)

And those are just from some of the popular companies, there are many other companies that also make copper and bronze snares, however lots of the more obscure companies will also be more expensive.

Those are the new prices, so obviously they will be less if you buy used.

As you can see lots of them get very expensive, but some of the less expensive models are still excellent. I like the Yamaha's a lot, and the bronze ludwigs are amazing! (albeit expensive, lol).

If you want to decide between copper and brass, the differences are copper has a fairly balanced pitch: it's darker than things like steel and brass but brighter than most wood snares. It's also more subdued making it good for quieter applications. More high end than bronze.

Bronze is a bit darker than copper, almost comparable to wood snares. It is still quieter than steel and brass, but it can be loud too. More low end than copper.

My Bronze is definitely warmer than the Brass snares.
It's louder than the aluminum, but it's warmer than that metal too.
Mine is a Ludwig, 6.5 (LB552).

If anything should happen to that snare it certainly wasn't my doing....

Ok, I'll be the one:
If you're looking for "warm", why are you looking only at metal snares?

Ok, I'll be the one:
If you're looking for "warm", why are you looking only at metal snares?

I want to expand my collection of snares and I definitely don't want to forget about the metal snares. Though I say metal, I was considering all the metals (copper, brass, etc.)
...Just not the titanium :)

I've got 2 DW Collectors snares, and a Tama Artwood Custom 13 x 7 - all wood though. Looking to get a metal crack, but not too bright.

Cool...now the fun research...

Hey, great "Metal 101" lesson there daredrummer.

I appreciate it, as always. Nice to know I can look beyond the DW Edge's...

Any others are welcome too!

Good suggestions already IMHO.

Here's how my ear hears "warmth" in a snare drum (from most to least).

Copper
Bronze
Aluminium
Brass
Steel

I've not mentioned titanium as I can't recall having heard a snare in that material.

Good suggestions already IMHO.

Here's how my ear hears "warmth" in a snare drum (from most to least).

Copper
Bronze
Aluminium
Brass
Steel

I've not mentioned titanium as I can't recall having heard a snare in that material.

Thanks PFOG!

That's what I was looking for, the order of these metals in regards to warmth.

For their cost, I'm afraid to even listen to the Titaniums!

I'd say that PFOG has it good, but I'd put Titanium and Magnesium at the top of that list (warmest).

They almost sounded muffled to me... which can be a really good thing.

I'd also insert iron and black steel (Keplinger makes these) between Copper and Bronze.

Now I know who to look for because of that scuff.....
;-)

Here's a 5x14 Bronze 305 for $169.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-LM305-Br...728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa9993400

$325 is the cheapest I've seen the 6.5.

Haha no way! When I finally do buy this snare, it'll be a hammered 14x6.5 with tube lugs!

Thanks PFOG!

That's what I was looking for, the order of these metals in regards to warmth.

For their cost, I'm afraid to even listen to the Titaniums!

Keep in mind that's just his viewpoint. Karl said that he thinks bronzes are warmer, so everyone has a different take on it. I personally think copper is warmer, but the shell material is not the only think that determines warmth.

But before we get there, ask yourself: what is warmth? My idea of it is a defined tone that sings every time you hit the drum. To me, it matters more on toms and cymbals. You may have a different definition of warmth, the definition is not set in stone.

Though I think copper snares are "warmer" I do like bronze snares better because they really bark at loud volumes but respond nicely at quieter volumes as well.

But before we get there, ask yourself: what is warmth?

Good question. As with all these manufacturer terms, like "warm" and "bright" and "cutting" and "deep" and 'resonant" there is obviously a great deal of subjectivity that goes with any description. We all hear differently and what's 'warm' to one may not quite match anothers definition.

Personally, I base it all off its tonal qualities when compared with a steel snare. My ear hears steel as the "coldest" of all the metal drums.....that maybe because I just don't care for them, but it's how I would describe a steel drum nonetheless. I find aluminium pretty much in the middle and tend to slot everything else in around that.

Haha no way! When I finally do buy this snare, it'll be a hammered 14x6.5 with tube lugs!
Keep in mind that's just his viewpoint. Karl said that he thinks bronzes are warmer, so everyone has a different take on it. I personally think copper is warmer, but the shell material is not the only thing that determines warmth.

Yeah, I haven't had any real time with a copper snare at all, so I have nothing to compare it too really.
I did play the Yamaha Copper (Roy Hanes?) snare once, and I did notice it was "lower" or "deeper" sounding in general than other snares.

Titanium, mmmmmmm....couldn't spend the money for the one I'd want. I just don't have it in me to do it.

The Hammered Bronze is cool, but I prefer the smooth shells sound.
I love the looks of my Hammered 402, but I dig the sound of the smooth shell I have a little more.

Comparing my Bronze and Brass shells, set up/played the same way, the Bronze is a deeper "warmer" sound.

A late 70's bronze shell Black Beauty,..14 x 6 1/2.Ludwig LB552 bronze 14 x 6 1/2.Vintage Slingerland Sound King or Spitfire brass or bronze,and they can be had on the cheap.

If you have patience,you can also buy what is called B stock Black Beautys on ebay,about 100-150 and more cheaper than a new drum.They have a slight cosmetic defect but sound the same..

Steve B

Back