For anyone that may have an unfulfilled order with Midwest Percussion.

Harvey haha. Lisa Madigan is the attorney general. Her office may and that's just may look into it. If more people have a problem the more likely her office would do something. There is still the chance of news coverage, as well as civil cases that might arise which would bring enough justification to get my money back from the credit company.

Um he sure did mean to screw people over. I don't care who came to his store, and I don't see how a place that small could hold a clinic. If you knew him personally, I wouldn't trust your comments anymore than I trust John. It's a business..he was in it to make money. When his business started going under because of guitar center or the internet doesn't make it right to take money from people. He should have payed his debt and given what was owed to people and closed his doors and declare bankruptcy. I don't care if he was good to others. He sure as hell wasn't good to me and others like myself. I feel worse for others in which they are out thousands of dollars. My loss isn't as great as others are. I could care less about mom and pop shops or small family business. Most small family business's don't care about having a bigger business or helping others. They only care about one thing, and that's making money for themselves. Mom and Pop should have done their homework and realize that society doesn't improve by taking from others without contributing. I'm not saying places like Guitar Center are any better. People are in business to do one thing, make money. It's really simple. They have something you want and they sell it to you for a price in which they make a profit. What John did was not ethical and breaks down what is already a fragile society. This stuff happens all the time. Business's will close their doors and sometimes open up something else with a new name. It's always safer to purchase things from larger companies that don't have as much a chance of going under, and always making sure you have substantial documentation of your purchase in case of the event that a large corporation does go under. Purchasing from him was my mistake. I didn't see the warnings. I didn't check out the business enough. His receipts over the internet aren't really receipts. It's just their store invoice. I should have known better on that one. I haven't given up on getting my money back somehow. This is still very new. There are others that have thousands lost and they are more pissed than I am. I already don't trust people very well. This makes me trust people even less.
I'm sorry to hear you lost money!! I would not be happy either!! i guess to be quite honest its been about 10 years since i bought anything from them. I'm not afraid to admit I am wrong. Things change and people change. I do have good memories of dealing with John personally,but that was my expierence. Unfortunately, these things happen when a bussiness goes under. And more than likely you won't see a dime of your money back, unless he was a sole proprietor( which i seriously doubt) when he filed bankruptcy everybody loses.

I'm sorry to hear you lost money!! I would not be happy either!! i guess to be quite honest its been about 10 years since i bought anything from them. I'm not afraid to admit I am wrong. Things change and people change. I do have good memories of dealing with John personally,but that was my expierence. Unfortunately, these things happen when a bussiness goes under. And more than likely you won't see a dime of your money back, unless he was a sole proprietor( which i seriously doubt) when he filed bankruptcy everybody loses.

Well he didn't file for bankruptcy, and he was the sole proprietor. Maybe there was a time that John was upright. There is actually a lot of material out now about business ethics and corruption within the U.S. and abroad. Alot has to do with the 3 legs of society and when one leg fails the rest will fall. I may not see my money again, but John will have to answer for it in hell.

Well he didn't file for bankruptcy, and he was the sole proprietor. Maybe there was a time that John was upright. There is actually a lot of material out now about business ethics and corruption within the U.S. and abroad. Alot has to do with the 3 legs of society and when one leg fails the rest will fall. I may not see my money again, but John will have to answer for it in hell.

Well, Maybe going to his door is the answer,or trying to contact him on a personal level mite work as well. maybe he cant produce the drum you wanted, but mite have left over stock he can give that equals the value. Since he was a sole proprietor,, he is responsible for paying you back.

I personally,... would go to his door. But I also live in the area.

I had similar problems earlier this year (March/April) with trying to get Tama parts (specifically tom mounting brackets). I could never get a straight answer out of them... "it's coming next week"... "it should have been in this shipment"... "Tama tells me it's on the way."

I'm having a similar problem now with another Tama dealer, so in retrospect maybe it's more of a problem on Tama's end (which I have heard from other dealers as well - that they're impossible to deal with for parts supply), but what got me was the lack of honesty or transparency in explaining what the situation was.

I also get the impression that Tama does not release merchandise to dealers who are behind on bills, so who knows if that may have been a factor as well.

Eventually the parts arrived, but three months after I had ordered them. I swore I would never buy from them again. Again, hard to say where the blame lied given my current problem with another Tama dealer, but I'm not surprised at the news of their closing given the issues I had with honesty from Midwest Percussion.

I may be in the minority here but I've had no issues with Midwest (RIP). Tons of sticks and the most beautiful 14x14 Ludwig floor tom in Blue Shadow I've ever seen. I got everything I've ever ordered. Quickly. Weird.

I never had any problems with Midwest until maybe late 2010 or so.

After that time, they would very often charge my credit card for things that were long-backordered and not give me any updates. When I would call for an update, they would often be very shifty and confrontational.

This is a far cry from how they had conducted business prior to that.

I feel lucky that I finally got my Tama hydraulic throne before they went under. I had to wait 4+ months for it. Lots of, "it's on the pallet from Tama, just came in today, it'll ship in a couple days." I'd call back and ask for tracking numbers, they'd promise to call back, never would. Etc.

I know competition is tough these days, but you don't do that sort of stuff and expect to stay in business for long. Unfortunately, for them, and their customers, this serves as an example. :(

I've ordered tons of stuff from Midwest Percussion including a 4-piece shell pack of Tama Starclassic maple. Also plenty of Sabian cymbals. Never a problem until I ordered the matching snare for the Starclassics. After three months and lots of phone calls I finally got the snare. I called them a few weeks later to ask a question and realized they were OOB. After reading some of the horror stories I realized I really dodged the bullet. I hope my fellow drummers got good satisfaction with their credit card disputes. I hate to hear about people getting hosed like that.

Back