Crashing the ride?

Sure it's common, I do it all the time. I bought a thinner ride so I could get more sounds out of it and crash it when needed. It's obviously not as easy on heavy rides...doesn't sound very good either, IMO.

Agree,I crash my ride (Istanbul with sizzles) all the time...particularly behind lead instrument solos!!!! I'll also was all my cymbals as crashing backbeat/grove for a real wash sound...very powerful end result. Denis

Many, MANY player crash the rides. It is more common in punk rock but I have seen notable drummers such as Colauita and Jojo Mayer do this in a jazz/breakbeat cenario. This is more of a hit to the edge to get a crash sound rather then riding the ride like a crash as in punk rock.

That's a cool song! I've never heard it before. I'll have to check out that Nerveana group when I get a chance. Sounds like they've got a future ahead of them...

Yeah, it's the new craze...they call it "grunge" - it comes out of Seattle. Crazy...

I do it on one song with a 22" A Ziljian ping ride...but I am going more for a swell than a crash....but man is that thing noisy.

oh, i didnt know it was that common...

how about the song though? is it a ride or crash during the chorus?? I'm trying to get that same kind of sound and I dont know whether to invest in a 20in alpha rock crash or 22in alpha rock ride

is crashing the ride cymbal common?

could someone tell me if the drummer is crashing the ride or a crash during this song's chorus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQR-OsH0RQ

Just a bit of history. Butch Vig, the engineer and initial producer for "Nevermind", screwed up the drum tracks so bad, they brought in famous producer Andy Wallace to "fix it". This was one of the first recording to use ProTools, which was released shortly before. Wallace used drum and cymbal samples to give the drums better punch for better commercial viability. The band hated Wallace's sound more than Vig's but there was nothing they could do. There's no telling exactly how Dave Grohl played it, since the recording is but a shadow of his real track.

Just watch a live clip of Dave playing the song with Nirvana...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSHcNgDb4U

Yes, Dave often uses his rides to crash on. He takes the thickest, most intimidating cymbals and makes them flutter in fear. I saw Nirvana in 1993 and Dave Grohl is THE MAN.

Just a bit of history. Butch Vig, the engineer and initial producer for "Nevermind", screwed up the drum tracks so bad, they brought in famous producer Andy Wallace to "fix it". This was one of the first recording to use ProTools, which was released shortly before. Wallace used drum and cymbal samples to give the drums better punch for better commercial viability. The band hated Wallace's sound more than Vig's but there was nothing they could do. There's no telling exactly how Dave Grohl played it, since the recording is but a shadow of his real track.

Just watch a live clip of Dave playing the song with Nirvana...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSHcNgDb4U

Yes, Dave often uses his rides to crash on. He takes the thickest, most intimidating cymbals and makes them flutter in fear. I saw Nirvana in 1993 and Dave Grohl is THE MAN.

yea dave grohl is badass, he's was my inspiration for even starting playing the drums in the first place... When i saw him play one time, i was like, "that is really easy and i guarantee i can do that"

i was told he used 2 18in crashes and a 20in crash on the song, but in the live performance it sure looks like an 18in crash, 20in crash, and a 22in ride...

i'll just go with an 18in crash and 22in ride for now, and i may add a 20in crash later, because i have seen him crash the 18incher and the ride together...He seems to play cymbals randomly lol

Yeah, it's the new craze...they call it "grunge" - it comes out of Seattle. Crazy...

Hey, thanks for the tip, Zambizzi! I checked my local record store, and they didn't have a "grunge" section. They had rock, pop, R+B, country, jazz, classical....but no grunge!

Maybe I'll take a trip up to Seattle to look there. This must be so new that it hasn't hit my town yet...

When I've seen Dave play this song, he is crashing his ride. I use that technique sometimes, but you can get a similar sound by "riding" a larger crash. Heavy and MH rides sound pretty "gongy" when you do this. I have never found that sound to be desirable. And as the whole Butch Vig/Andy Wallace thing goes, Butch engineered and produced the album, while Andy mixed it. Andy Wallace is more of a mixing guy, and an extremely talented one at that. Not to say that Andy Wallace can't produce a record, he was just filling a different role at the time.

well when you venture into looking at hardcore music (i love it :))
you will notice that alot of hardcore/metalcore players will crash there ride.

well meinl have made 21" and 22" crashs because some artists (zac farro, aaronn gillespie etc) were using rides as there crashs

aaron gillespie video:::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbz32nGAkNg&feature=related

moose

Hey, thanks for the tip, Zambizzi! I checked my local record store, and they didn't have a "grunge" section. They had rock, pop, R+B, country, jazz, classical....but no grunge!

Maybe I'll take a trip up to Seattle to look there. This must be so new that it hasn't hit my town yet...

Definitely head up there...look for kids in flannel shirts, long hair, boots. Those up-and-coming cats "Pearl Jam" might be interesting to you.

It's hard for me to accept that this is a conversation people would have been having nearly two decades ago! :O

Where has the time gone....

Definitely head up there...look for kids in flannel shirts, long hair, boots. Those up-and-coming cats "Pearl Jam" might be interesting to you.

It's hard for me to accept that this is a conversation people would have been having nearly two decades ago! :O

Where has the time gone....

hey, I am gonna bring it back. you guys just prepare yourselves...

Back