Most Under-rated Drummers

Re: Most underrated drummer

i think jose pasillas of incubus is a underated drummer. if you hear some of their earlier albums such as Fungus Amongus, S.C.I.E.N.C.E, or the Enjoy Incubus EP, he lays down a great funk groove with some metal influences.

jose passilas of Incubus is pretty underated. he lays down some nice simple grooves to carry the music.
joey castillo is a monster on the kit but he dosent realy get to show it.
matt chamberlain is exceptional unfortunately hes not that well known.
and finally i think muses drummer is good, has simple beats, but he has some skills as well.

Gary Mallaber.
Rarely, if ever has someone contributed so much to so many staples of classic rock, and yet few knows who he is.

Gary Mallaber.
Rarely, if ever has someone contributed so much to so many staples of classic rock, and yet few knows who he is.

You're right... I don't know who he is. What are the bands he played for?

Biz

Ahhh.... I actually have quite a few CDs that he has played on then. I think I have every song he's done with Van Morrison, Springsteen, and the Steve Miller Band.

Yeah, he now gets my vote for this thread.

Biz

John Stanier of Helmet, Battles, Tomahawk and Mark of Cain.

The Mark of Cain are from Australia.... My old drum teacher Campbell Robinson used to play for them for a while. They got pretty big for a while. Check out the other artists o this concert poster....

Biz

Attachments

• equinox.jpeg
    equinox.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 888
Dont' know if he's been mentioned but.....

Rayford Griffin is quite the Fusion / Funk guy!!

Listen to his stuff w/ Jean-Luc Ponty in the 70's-90's! Another OPEN handed player!

Dont' know if he's been mentioned but.....

Rayford Griffin is quite the Fusion / Funk guy!!

Listen to his stuff w/ Jean-Luc Ponty in the 70's-90's! Another OPEN handed player!

He ! I did mention him ! (post 162)

You know what, I'll do exactly as you suggested and I'll play "Mystical Adventures" right away... his best one with JLP in my opinion.

george kollias and derek roddy....THE MOST underrated of our time.I keep seeing threads about freaking tommy lee or chris adler in this forum and noone mentions these guys.They are really similar to their approach and they are helluva hard working and humble not only playing kinda the fastes tempos in the world but also having great technique and having heavily studied and well handled other genres like latin or jazz.Personally kollias is my teacher and beloved friend and we are from the same town and i can see how hard he works and what he can play as he teaches me swing,jazz,latin and stuff and every day he has something new to show me so he is my idol and i respect him much.New nile album comin on march and also check out his other band,sickening horror in wich u can see how tastefully he incorporates pure latin patterns to his drumming at tempos of 250+

He ! I did mention him ! (post 162)

You know what, I'll do exactly as you suggested and I'll play "Mystical Adventures" right away... his best one with JLP in my opinion.

Sorry I missed that shuffle.......but glad you agree!!

MA might be......but my personal fav JLP album is Fables!

Don't be sorry - I was really glad to hear about another Griffin's amateur.... Yeah Fables is great also.

I don't ever hear much about John Dolmayan. He's good.

Edit: Also, isn't he another leftie who plays a right handed kit?

Last edited:
ermm:

brad wilk (audioslave and ratm)
larry mullen jr (U2)
mikkey dee (motorhead)

BILLY COBHAM!!! One of the greatest jazz drummers ever! Notice I say ONE OF the greatest. his playing is so loose and groovy, and he has speed that I cannot even imagine!!!!

peace
AGR

Hugo Burnham from Gang Of Four. a wonderful post-punk band that help create a new sound, that so many bands are rippingoff today.

Hugo is a great drummer. i wanna sound like that.

saw them play about a month ago they are getting on (age wise) now but sound a.mazing. Hugo was so soild.

Last edited:
Back