Anatomy of Drumming

John Lamb

Hello all! I would like to announce the release of my new book, Anatomy of Drumming: Move Better, Feel Better, Play Better. The book covers basic anatomy and physics of drumming, and how they apply to seat height, matched vs traditional, the science behind Moeller technique, and common injuries and why they occur.

anatomy-EBOOK-cover-225x300.png

Now I'm wanting to go find videos of you so I can see what all the research led to in your journey!

I'd also prefer to buy from the google book store and read it on my tabs/phone. And I'm a cheap bastard that will wait for it to come down in price as books do... It's on my list to check out. It would be really handy if I could buy it from the google app store, but I don't know how much hassle that is for you.

Awesome-would love to read it-got my PhD from a medical school in Cell Biology and Anatomy so first hand have dissected a few cadavers in my day. Course I've forgotten most of my anatomy from pursuing cell biology research. My dissertation was using a chicken model of developmental heart defects and measuring the altered biomechanics properties of their great arteries too so the physics part will have great appeal too. Kudos for a great idea for a book and here is hoping for lots of success man.

I just purchased a copy from Amazon. Will have it in a few days. Can't wait to give it a look see.

John:
Thanks for posting this. I read the Kindle sample and am purchasing the Kindle version now and will read this with much interest and enthusiasm.
I wonder how many drummers we all know have suffered due to wrong posture, drum set-ups, stick techniques, poor seating choices/habits.
I'm trying to continue with the emphasis on least effort in whatever facet of drumming I pursue. Common sense says that the bio-mechanics of how we execute our playing would seem of primary importance, yet so little is ever mentioned or paid attention to so your book seems quite time. There was no way to ignore this issue any longer!!

PS- When's Part II coming out?:)

I think John is onto something and look forward to getting his book. A while back there was a thread debating pinky on or off the stick (matched or on the lead hand traditional). I posted a top pipe band drummer's performance which he took issue with.

But his criticism was not about the playing or music, which he agreed was quite good. It was just about how his right hand position would cause physical problems, if it hadn't already. It turns out that this player does suffer from problems in his hand and wrist. And I posted several other videos of top players, which he commented on. He noted one in particular as potentially having problems. It turns out that this player had lost part of his pinky and (I believe) part of his ring finger on the right hand. It's highly unlikely that John would have known this and it certainly doesn't affect the caliber of his playing. But it may affect him physically and John was able to detect something unorthodox in his grip.

Between this and people like Bill Bachman on this site- no one should suffer physical ailment while playing drums!

Now I'm wanting to go find videos of you so I can see what all the research led to in your journey!

I'd also prefer to buy from the google book store and read it on my tabs/phone. And I'm a cheap bastard that will wait for it to come down in price as books do... It's on my list to check out. It would be really handy if I could buy it from the google app store, but I don't know how much hassle that is for you.

What led into the journey is a long standing interest in how we perceive things and how we turn those perceptions into actions. I saw a class offered when I was still getting my B.S. called "Body Mapping", something now being taught at Berklee and many other places. I successfully dealt with a couple of injuries with help from the class, and I've seen hundreds of students improve their movement and musicality through including more accurate information in their awareness.

I'm not alone in writing about movement in music, though - I was just at a big conference last week that had music educators come in from dozens of countries from every populated continent. There are new classes that teach what I write about at Berklee, Oberlin, and more.

Regarding Google Bookstore, I have the files ready to sell there, but they aren't allowing any new authors - no idea why! PM me and I can just send you the file if you like.

Last edited:
Between this and people like Bill Bachman on this site- no one should suffer physical ailment while playing drums!

Yes, exactly! There is new research on injury rate from performing, and it is worse than people thought. Several studies are putting it over 60% for professional musicians. I'm amazing at how it has improved my facility, but even more so my musicality, though.

I just purchased a copy from Amazon. Will have it in a few days. Can't wait to give it a look see.

Thanks! I'd love to hear what you think.

newoldie said:
PS- When's Part II coming out?:)
Part II? Well, soon I'll be doing "What Every Drummer Needs To Know About The Body (part of a larger "What Every _____ Needs ...." series, and collaborating on the same for guitar. And I'm actually finally getting around to doing part 2 of my A Matter of Time book... and a drum set method to apply the theory that I've been using when teaching.

I'd love to hear if the kindle version is working properly - I've been having issues with another book, I've gotten some bad reviews because the kindle version stopped loading images properly for some. No idea why! thanks! :)

Sorry, another old thread resurrection...
I recently realised I've been sitting too low at the kit. This has got me thinking... where else might I be going wrong!!

A few years have passed since this book was released, anyone have any comments on it?

I'm also curious about this book...thanks for resurrecting the thread!
It's 27.99 new on Amazon and about 19 used.
I'll probably pick up a copy in the next few weeks and then report back.

Back