Playing drums-Creating drum parts

Talk of the standard heroes like Ringo and Bonzo tends to be a tad overdone (in rock circles; jazz has its own heroes) but it's hard to talk about composition of drum parts without mentioning those guys.

With Ringo, his beats in Ticket To Ride, Getting Better and Come Together are so imaginative. He could have so easily played straight backbeat and the songs would have been less distinctive and appealing.

I definitely remember in my youth approaching music in a way that we were shoving it down the audiences throat, either accept it or leave the building. Then maturing to an attitude of presenting the pieces with open hands as if feeding a timid deer at the petting zoo.
The presentation is important, and not to alienate the general audience.

I believe in playing to the music, and I have always said that it is the drummers job
to make it sound like the rest of the band is playing together.

And it's also important to keep it interesting for yourself as well. I think of Vinnie Caliutta in this situation. He is seemingly playing a simple straight forward composition, but then trying to play one of his pieces remains to be challenging. "It didn't sound that difficult on the recording!" But the phrasing keeps me busy concentrating on my part.

I definitely remember in my youth approaching music in a way that we were shoving it down the audiences throat, either accept it or leave the building. Then maturing to an attitude of presenting the pieces with open hands as if feeding a timid deer at the petting zoo.

I believe in playing to the music, and I have always said that it is the drummers job

+1 Great comments, Moktie. Beautifully put - and a bit poetic as well :)

And it's also important to keep it interesting for yourself as well. I think of Vinnie Caliutta in this situation. He is seemingly playing a simple straight forward composition, but then trying to play one of his pieces remains to be challenging. "It didn't sound that difficult on the recording!" But the phrasing keeps me busy concentrating on my part.

Leblancstar says:phrasing is one of the most important things a lead guitarist must learn,I never thought a drummer also does phrasing.....

Back