Is it downsizing...

HipshotPercussion

...when you make one big kit into two? Or is that cheating?

I started out with a DW Collectors and a PDP X7 in my drum room. Then I brought the Collectors kid downstairs into what's euphemistically called a sun room. (It's a euphemism because where I live it's almost *never* sunny.) Then I added a second bass drum and yet another hanging tom to the X7, so I put it downstairs where there was more room and brought up the Collectors.

Now I've decided to be more practical, so I broke up the PDP kit into two separate kits, the smaller of which - my true gigging kit - is set up with the Collectors in the drum room when it isn't in transit. Here are the pix to show how it all shakes out:

The bigger part of the X7. All the cymbals are A Customs/A Custom Rezos except the gong:

6DYkg.jpg

The smaller part of the X7. All the cymbals are late 50s-early 60s Zildjians except the 16" 80s AAX crash:

2qEZi.jpg

The Collectors. All the cymbals are Paiste Giant Beats. Amazing sounding combination:

sqjnx.jpg

Oh, I forgot. Here's the X7 in all its double bass "glory:

nxJcl.jpg

It is very common to do what you are doing.
I almost never bring my 6 piece kit to a gig.
I bring 4 or 5 pieces of it.
Many drummers have a high end kit that never leaves the house too.

Not exactly 'downsizing', but it looks way better split into separate kits like that.

It'll be downsizing when you sell one of them (or part of one). Ha ha.

It is very common to do what you are doing.
I almost never bring my 6 piece kit to a gig.
I bring 4 or 5 pieces of it.
Many drummers have a high end kit that never leaves the house too.

Same here, I have two kits, one with 3 toms (2 up 1 down), and one with 4 toms (2 up 2 down) and somehow always end up taking a 4 piece to shows. I've used 3 toms once for a show and I've never used 4. Sometimes people just like the option of having extra, despite not using it.

Back