My Supraphonic

dot_Anthem

Hey guys, my father has had this snare for years, and 2 years ago when I began playing this was still on our kit. It is a Ludwig Supraphonic, Late 70s. It is a 14x5.5 snare. I had no idea how much they were valued on here, I wouldn't have guessed; I truly don't like the sound of it in any tuning whatsoever. There are 2 problems with it, the throw-off gets extremely loose when the snares are loose; it is very prone to just coming undone if the snares are really loose; and the dampener knob is bent. You can see that in the pictures. Anyways, here is some pictures to go along with the story.

CAM_1107.png

CAM_1108.png

CAM_1109.png

CAM_1111.png

CAM_1113.png

CAM_1114.png

CAM_1115.png

CAM_1116.png

CAM_1117.png

The Supraphonic is probably one of the most recorded and classic snare drums in the last 100 years. I still love my trusty 1967 Supraphonic.

Yours looks OK. Has the common pitting from the '70's era. Get some medium Ludwig Weathermaster's or Remo Ambassadors on both sides... perhaps a new snare mounted properly.

-Ryan

Could be a great sounding drum with new heads and new wires.

The wires look like they are the original...with about half missing.
It will sound like it should with the new snares set up properly (without 4 strings on one end).
The strings look original too, so it's no wonder they don't hold any tension. Wow.

I wouldn't use the muffler anyhow, but taking it out and getting it back in shape is not a big deal. Just knock the long threaded rod back to straight, or get a new one they aren't expensive (--or just take it out completely).

I'd take it to a good local drum shop and have them get it going for you if you aren't able to, or don't quite know what to do.

This IS a really great drum, so do yourself a favor--get it going and have fun with it!

It is a sweet Looking drum, But Karl is right, in the 3rd pic down, you can see the snare wires are pooched, a little TLC and you should have a prize snare. I just got a 6.5 supra yesterday, sounds awesome.

If not, you can easily trade or sell that for something you'd really like.

It is a sweet Looking drum, But Karl is right, in the 3rd pic down, you can see the snare wires are pooched, a little TLC and you should have a prize snare. I just got a 6.5 supra yesterday, sounds awesome.

If not, you can easily trade or sell that for something you'd really like.

My father doesn't like the sound of it either. He likes thick, 10ply + snares; as do I. I may try talknig to him about trading it in at GC partway for something like a Tama G-Maple or some other nice thick maple snare.

My father doesn't like the sound of it either. He likes thick, 10ply + snares; as do I. I may try talknig to him about trading it in at GC partway for something like a Tama G-Maple or some other nice thick maple snare.

Damn I just traded a couple snares, otherwise I would have traded with you.

Back