Ludwig Black Beauty VS Black Magic

johnwesley

Silver Member
I'm considering one or the other. Only thing I know is the Black Beauty is the original and is seamless. Doesn't come in as many sizes as the Black Magic and costs twice as much. What I'm wondering is....any difference in sound when comparing same size drums? 5x14 or 6 1/2x14 since those sizes are in common to both.Does having a seam really make a tonal difference or pardon the inference, is the difference really anal? Why spend twice the money if they're basically the same drum? Any experience to pass my way is appreciated.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between the Black Beauty and the clones (BM, BOB, BD)? Yes. Is it a $350 difference? Only you can decide. If you're simply looking for the sound of triple-flanged hoops on brass, the cheaper ones make a lot of sense. Heck, even some of the expensive ones make more sense.

People buy BB's in order to own the real thing.

I'm considering one or the other. Only thing I know is the Black Beauty is the original and is seamless. Doesn't come in as many sizes as the Black Magic and costs twice as much. What I'm wondering is....any difference in sound when comparing same size drums? 5x14 or 6 1/2x14 since those sizes are in common to both.Does having a seam really make a tonal difference or pardon the inference, is the difference really anal? Why spend twice the money if they're basically the same drum? Any experience to pass my way is appreciated.

Have you played these drums? Your ears have the answer.

I've owned a Black Beauty and that drum has a certain mojo (even moreso than the Supra). It's one of those iconic drums - like a Gibson Les Paul, or a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. That's why people get those drums, for what they represent, not necessarily for its sound. There are alot of other drums out there that sound great, but none of those were there from that time period.

This is more about who you are. If you like iconic instruments, your only choice is the Black Beauty. If you really went for the sonic ability, perhaps a Pearl Sensitone Brass would be even better than a Black Magic, although those aren't cheap either.

I don't know what it is about the BB but its perfect. I've owned several dw brass snares as well as a Rogers and the BB has something about it, don't know what it is but its worth it. The BB is a snare that a drummer keeps for a lifetime. I paid $550 which I thought was a pretty fair price, A stock as well.

Cheers

I purchased a black magic snare a few years ago to leave in the pit of an off-Broadway show I was doing. Although I initially purchased this drum as a cheaper alternative to a black beauty, I have found that I enjoy its sonic characteristics almost as much. In fact, the black magic has a warmth that I do not get from the far more expensive BB.

The Black Beauty is a great drum, and the Black Magic is a great drum for the price. I will echo the sentiment, let your ears decide. They both have something, and the Black Magic does offer the additional sizes.

The wise purchase is the drum you like, and will use.

Bermuda

John, I think the GC by me at Metrocenter has a BB you can go in and try. If you can justify spending the extra cash on it, well that is your call to make. Maybe your wife's call too...

Personally I can't justify spending that kind of scratch on a snare. I have long settled on the notion that I'll miss out on playing with a lot of the nice toys because I'm just too cheap. I could get all the tone I need out of a brass snare made with a Worldmax shell.

I do tend to gravitate towards vintage player's drums for my sound. The kind of stuff that isn't made anymore. I scored a beautiful 30's Leedy 6.5" COB for a ridiculous price a few years ago and I wouldn't trade it for a Joyful Noise. THAT is the kind of old school juju that makes me happy.

Also if you're looking for a project, I have a Slingerland COB shell that could use some TLC. Got it cheap and I'd let it go cheap for a fellow Phoenix drummer.

Tried out both the BB and BM and my ears gravitated to the BB. 6 1/2x14 with tube lugs and P86 strainer. Just seemed really smooth and easy to play. Now I'm on the search for best price. Plus I prefer die cast hoops and I like the look of the brass hardware instead of chrome. Now if I can just find a wallet with money in it......

Do you know there are loads of other brass snares beside ludwig?

Then Ludwig came along and finally got it right! (I just had to . . .)

Yes you're a ludwig fanboy but there are plenty of snares that are nicer than the black magic and much cheaper than a black beauty.

Pearl, sonor, mapex, tama, Yamaha, ahead, gretsch and the list goes on.

I've played a Black Beauty, and I own a WorldMax Black Hawg. I actually prefer my WorldMax snare to the BB I played, but they are different sizes and have different hoops/heads/tuning, and that most likely contributed more to the difference in tone than the shells themselves. I imagine that just about any intermediate to pro level BOB shell is going to have similar tonal characteristics, so you'll likely be able to get a great sound no matter the snare you get. The biggest question to ask yourself is if it's worth it to own 'the real thing'.

Just bite the bullet and get the BB. If you don't, it will eat at you until you do. Just get it over with. You won't be satisfied until you do, even if the BM is a great sounding drum. You are a victim of marketing, and will never feel satisfied until you get one for yourself.

They should have a snare drum rental program where for a fee, you can take home any snare you desire for a week.

I imagine that just about any intermediate to pro level BOB shell is going to have similar tonal characteristics,

Given that the WorldMax, Pork Pie and Black Magic shells are all reportedly the same shell, sourced from the same manufacturer, just with different bling hangin' off them, I'd be inclined to agree.

They should have a snare drum rental program where for a fee, you can take home any snare you desire for a week.

That would sure make decisions easier. Nothing like having the "new piece" sitting in with your set in your studio and hearing how it blends.

BTW, since getting a lot of feedback on shells being essentially the same with different "bling", I'm now considering DW nickel on brass. Half the price of Ludwig. Same with PDP....etc. Thanks for all the input.

I called DW about that one, he wasn't sure if it was a Worldmax shell but the guy I spoke to was able to confirm that it was an overseas made shell. They do sound pretty good but I thought them a little pricey for a blinged out Worldmax.

After you make your decision and go make the purchase, post pictures and sound or else it never happened.

Unwritten DW rule.

Does having a seam really make a tonal difference or pardon the inference, is the difference really anal?
There is a difference, and some prefer seamless, others prefer the sound of a welded shell. The Gretsch 4160 is a classic snare with a welded shell. it sounds amazing.

Back