Help me choose a second snare drum

playon

OK, so I have a home studio with a small vintage Ludwig kit. (Full disclosure, I play a little drums but my main instrument is guitar). I have an Acrolite snare which is awesome for mid to high pitched tuning, but I'm looking for an alternative flavor, something I can tune lower, probably a 6.5 x 14 wood drum (but metal isn't out of the question). This is primarily for recording. Want that big fat *doosh* sound when I hit the center of the drum -- something that would work well for blues, New Orleans music, etc. The Acrolite does great rim shots but the hitting the center of the drum it's a bit soft. Ease of tuning, sensitivity and versatility are important, wood hoops might be cool. I only want to spend $250 tops, preferably less.

Here's the kind of stuff I've been looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drum-Workshop-PDP-Limited-Edition-6x14-Wood-Hoop-Snare-Drum-/181677178624?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271807296617?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111620148819?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181680572831?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PDP-Maple-S...364?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf5798bf4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tama-Artwoo...956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f89e1084

https://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/4883022418.html

I live in a small town and so it's difficult to try stuff in person... and the local craigslist sucks. So, it's probably ebay. Any comments or experiences with any of these drums, (or similar) would be appreciated.

And if you can point me to any online drum classifieds or online drum shop that's cool too...

Thanks!

It's nice to have additional snares for additional sounds, but there's a well-known secret that will take the Acrolite to a really cool place, and possibly affect your choice of 2nd snare (which will subsequently also be taken to a new place!)

Take a new 1-ply 14" drumhead, coated or clear, and cut out the flat portion just inside the bend of the collar, so that you end up with a circle of Mylar about 13.5" in diameter.

Lay that on the Acrolite - works best if the batter isn't dished - and give it a whack. You'll get a low, wet, sorta gated sound that cannot be achieved simply by tuning and damping. It's a completely unique sound. This works at any tuning, but moderate to high is best to retain the feel.

So, the Acrolite become two drums, and if you get another snare, you essentially have a total of four. :)

Enjoy!

Bermuda

get a deeper wood snare, maple or even mahogany or kapur to get a warm sound at mid to lower tunings.
There are some nice Maple Renown snares for near to < $250. I also saw a Pearl Kapur for similar price one time.

I appreciate the knowledge and I'll definitely try that -- but the point of having a second drum around is so that I can switch a snare without having to do a lot of fussing around and slowing down the recording process.

It's nice to have additional snares for additional sounds, but there's a well-known secret that will take the Acrolite to a really cool place, and possibly affect your choice of 2nd snare (which will subsequently also be taken to a new place!)

Take a new 1-ply 14" drumhead, coated or clear, and cut out the flat portion just inside the bend of the collar, so that you end up with a circle of Mylar about 13.5" in diameter.

Lay that on the Acrolite - works best if the batter isn't dished - and give it a whack. You'll get a low, wet, sorta gated sound that cannot be achieved simply by tuning and damping. It's a completely unique sound. This works at any tuning, but moderate to high is best to retain the feel.

So, the Acrolite become two drums, and if you get another snare, you essentially have a total of four. :)

Enjoy!

Bermuda

I appreciate the knowledge and I'll definitely try that -- but the point of having a second drum around is so that I can switch a snare without having to do a lot of fussing around and slowing down the recording process.

I think he may have meant lay it right on top of the head you already have on there, in which case you could very quickly take it off. Or perhaps I misinterpreted.

I think he may have meant lay it right on top of the head you already have on there, in which case you could very quickly take it off. Or perhaps I misinterpreted.

Yep, that's what he meant. Bermuda has mentioned this before. I've used it a few times myself to replicate a low, muted sound from some old blues recordings.

It takes just a second to toss the "head" on the snare or remove it. I do it between songs at the gig and no one even notices.

The lay-on-top muffling can go along with the lower tuning, so yeah, it might take a minute or five to re-tune. But it does work pretty nice for some stuff. Also remOs, the evans equivalents, bandanas (my favorite), napkins, wallets, etc. But the big round circle of old head is pretty unique.

The overlay goes on in a second or two, and instantly takes the drum's pitch down. No muss, no fuss, much faster than having a 2nd snare standing by just to get a fatter sound. But, as I said, the result is a unique sound, it's not the same as tuning-down the snare, or even grabbing a deep snare. It's very effective. You might not like it... but chances are you'll love it.

Bermuda

The overlay goes on in a second or two, and instantly takes the drum's pitch down. No muss, no fuss, much faster than having a 2nd snare standing by just to get a fatter sound.
Bermuda

Yes !

I do what Bermuda is saying. It works great when playing live.
Thanks to him I have two snare drum sounds ready in an instant.

In have also done a similar thing using 3 pieces of printer paper stapled together with one staple.

This is interesting. I don't have an Acrolite, but I am sure it would work to a certain extent with other snares........

Do you notice a significantly different stick feel with regards to rebound etc. or does it just feel similar to a loose head?

I have a couple old heads laying around.....maybe I'll try it just for giggles.

Do what Bermuda says,but if you really want a second drum,I once had a Ludwig school festival,and it will give you that sound you seek.I just wouldn't pay too much for that Ebay drum,seeing its a rewap,even by precision,which is a great company..

Steve B

Do you notice a significantly different stick feel with regards to rebound etc. or does it just feel similar to a loose head?

I have a couple old heads laying around.....maybe I'll try it just for giggles.

It's hard to say on the feel, as the sound we hear fools us into thinking the drum feels that way. Play an e-kit, and you see how different sounds seem to translate into different feels... even though you're playing the same pads!

There's undoubtedly some change in the response, but I doubt it's commensurate with the sound change. I'd say it's negligible enough to not worry about it. Can you still do a closed roll on it? Probably.

As for cutting up old heads, make sure they're perfectly flat. If they're not, the effect will be diminished and may result in stray overtones and rattling or flapping of the overlay (which could also be a cool sound!)

Please, just invest $15 in a brand new 1-ply* head, any brand, clear or coated, and at least 10mil thick (Evans G1, Remo Ambassador, etc.)

Bermuda

* If you get a 2-ply, you'll end up with 2 overlays, but they'll be thinner than what you want. Might work though...

I'll try that -- I do love the Acrolite -- but I still want the different tonality of a deeper wood drum for other options.

I was hoping to get some feedback on some of the less expensive new drums that are available now. I'm considering the PDP Limited Maple snare w/wood hoops, like this one: https://youtu.be/aVEbfdSKH8I?t=12s
They also come in 7" depth.

The overlay goes on in a second or two, and instantly takes the drum's pitch down. No muss, no fuss, much faster than having a 2nd snare standing by just to get a fatter sound. But, as I said, the result is a unique sound, it's not the same as tuning-down the snare, or even grabbing a deep snare. It's very effective. You might not like it... but chances are you'll love it.

Bermuda

...I was hoping to get some feedback on some of the less expensive new drums that are available now.
I'm considering the PDP Limited Maple snare w/wood hoops, like this one: https://youtu.be/aVEbfdSKH8I?t=12s
They also come in 7" depth.

I think that's the one for you.

You mentioned it twice, it was at the top of your first list,
it looks good, it sounds good, and the price is right.
Go for it.

I think that's the one for you.

You mentioned it twice, it was at the top of your first list,
it looks good, it sounds good, and the price is right.
Go for it.

I think your right. Just hope for the price that it's somewhat durable.

I like Bermuda's idea, but if you need a lower drum, look at a good 14x6.5 wood snare with vintage edges. I like Ludwig Classic Maples, but there are other good drums too.

If you can find one is look into a 14x7 Slingerland student model snare circa late 1950s. These are a work of art. May cost you upwards of $350 but this is one if my all time fav snares.

If you can find one is look into a 14x7 Slingerland student model snare circa late 1950s. These are a work of art. May cost you upwards of $350 but this is one if my all time fav snares.

I agree.
I had one once.
I remember it well. The edges rang like a bell and the center had no high pitched ring. It was sensitive and fat and a buzz roll was clean.

It died in an accident.
It fell on the snare strainer and cracked the shell.

*edit~ sorry, mine was 14x5.5

Back